European Football Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:22:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Football Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Author Topic: European Football Thread  (Read 48241 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »

Basically confirming what we already know.. the leagues outside the big five or so in Western Europe continue to get shafted.
Big Six. Portugal counts.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2007, 11:45:33 AM »

Basically confirming what we already know.. the leagues outside the big five or so in Western Europe continue to get shafted.

The system for determining places can be unfair as it zooms in one one season and if you'r country performs poorly that season it relects that in the few seasons afterwards. It happened to Scotland last time round Smiley I'm pleased we secured two Champions League spots and on recent form, we should hold them.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2007, 11:48:56 AM »

The system for determining places can be unfair as it zooms in one one season and if you'r country performs poorly that season it relects that in the few seasons afterwards. It happened to Scotland last time round Smiley I'm pleased we secured two Champions League spots and on recent form, we should hold them.

Look forward to seeing this as a regular occurance in Rangers' and Celtic's Away Champions league Group Schedule

Scottish Away Matches
Played - 6 Won - 0 Drew - 0 Lost - 6 Points - 0

Tongue

But I wanted Red Star to win. And Lewis, Portugal is just living of FC Mourinho's former glory once that goes off the UEFA points (alright, co-efficients) then...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2007, 11:51:56 AM »

Look forward to seeing this as a regular occurance in Rangers' and Celtic's Away Champions league Group Schedule

Scottish Away Matches

Tongue

But I wanted Red Star to win. And Lewis, Portugal is just living of FC Mourinho's former glory once that goes off the UEFA points (alright, co-efficients) then...
And on the fact that there's no difference between fourth and sixth place. Of course, look at Romania's recent jumps... this year's qualification stages show very well that the country doesn't have more than three clubs able of competing... however well those three have recently done.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2007, 11:56:16 AM »

Scottish Away Matches

Tongue

And on the fact that there's no difference between fourth and sixth place. Of course, look at Romania's recent jumps... this year's qualification stages show very well that the country doesn't have more than three clubs able of competing... however well those three have recently done.

True but it stagnates progress by all other clubs outside the elite... Before the Champions league was started nearly every second year (especially after the ban on the English clubs) would see a new champion who had never won it before - In that period clubs like Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade could win the trophy. Since 1997 there hasn't been a single new name on that big earred cup.. Real Madrid three times winners since, Milan twice and almost no winners outside Italy, Spain, England and Bayern Munich (Porto was a one-off..)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2007, 01:11:31 PM »

You and half of Glasgow Wink
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2007, 01:21:01 PM »

And alot of Ireland too I imagine. Wink

And for the Record, I wanted Spartak Moscow to win too. I have no general fondness for the bigot brothers.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2007, 01:35:54 PM »

And alot of Ireland too I imagine. Wink

And for the Record, I wanted Spartak Moscow to win too. I have no general fondness for the bigot brothers.

I don't think it sets a good example to want a Russian team involved with mafia elements and past threats to lives of players and their families to beat Celtic Grin Besides, Celtic have a clean bill of health on tackling sectarianism with the help of organisations like Nil By Mouth this past decade. Besdies, the agression between themselves and Rangers is no where near like the firewall of agression between Rangers and Aberdeen Tongue
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2007, 02:28:38 PM »

NFL Europa was shutdown fellas...

oh, that's not what youre talking about.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2007, 03:14:14 PM »

I don't really think it's right to blame the big leagues for their success. It certainly isn't their fault that... for example, the Irish leagues...are hopeless.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2007, 03:15:51 PM »

I don't really think it's right to blame the big leagues for their success. It certainly isn't their fault that... for example, the Irish leagues...are hopeless.
Nyes. The exact rules on how many clubs can start depending on a country's coefficient were made up after the hierarchy of leagues developped after all.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2007, 03:19:14 PM »

I was really referring to Eastern Europe rather than Ireland.. Ireland's just too damn small to have anything other than a glorified version of twenty-two lads in the park for some Friday night kickabout.

Also what Lewis said was accurate. The Spanish League was awful in the 70s and 80s (Despite having more money than most other leagues.. but not THAT much more money, like now.)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2007, 03:35:42 PM »

I was really referring to Eastern Europe rather than Ireland.. Ireland's just too damn small to have anything other than a glorified version of twenty-two lads in the park for some Friday night kickabout.

Also what Lewis said was accurate. The Spanish League was awful in the 70s and 80s (Despite having more money than most other leagues.. but not THAT much more money, like now.)

Well, I don't really buy the argument that it's because we're too small. I actually think that it's due to the complete dominance of the GAA. Consider the number of guys playing week in, week out in Gaelic Football and Hurling.

So long as football is the 3rd (maybe even the 4th sport after rugby) here, then our clubs are likely to remain ultra-marginal in the European context, unless some form of major re-structuring took place...á la the Celtic League in Rugby.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2007, 03:43:15 PM »

Well, I don't really buy the argument that it's because we're too small. I actually think that it's due to the complete dominance of the GAA. Consider the number of guys playing week in, week out in Gaelic Football and Hurling.

So long as football is the 3rd (maybe even the 4th sport after rugby) here, then our clubs are likely to remain ultra-marginal in the European context, unless some form of major re-structuring took place...á la the Celtic League in Rugby.

We also lack (or rather, lacked) a rather big Industrial\Working class city where football could have taken off strongly. In most medium sized Decent-European leagues the big clubs tend to be just one or two big cities - Portugal, Holland, Russia, Romania... etc. (LOL@ At the first person who might suggest Dublin in this thread.) Of course the Gah is an influence, but look at the North where the Gah influence only grow began to grow in the 60s (it's now dominant in the more nationalist counties o\c) hardly a footballing superpower.. Though I guess George Best may beg to differ. The amateurism of the clubs until recently would be much bigger.

Of course now the best the Irish leagues can aim for is perhaps the middle tier of obscurities (or we get a Dublin based Franchise and put into the English league Championship somehow.. but I can't imagine going down very well across the channel...)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2007, 03:21:29 AM »

Any thoughts on the European qualifiers?

I'm pretty ok with Sweden's point against Denmark and very happy about Spain failing to get one.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2007, 07:39:51 AM »

I am, shall we say...less than pleased, with our draw with Slovakia. Shambolic.
And whose fault is it?

No need to check your watch Steve, it's time to go.

Elsewhere, the North were unfortunate against Latvia, they deserved better on the day. Hugely dents their changes at progressing, redeemed somewhat by the Spanish failure against Iceland.

Saw a bit of the England and Scotland games, both did fine against relatively poor opposition. Not sure if anything much can be read into either game.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2007, 07:55:36 AM »

Real men like NFL. Soccer is for people who can't handle the NFL.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2007, 09:01:09 AM »

I fell asleep watching Germany-Wales.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2007, 09:17:51 AM »

And whose fault is it?

Elsewhere, the North were unfortunate against Latvia, they deserved better on the day. Hugely dents their changes at progressing, redeemed somewhat by the Spanish failure against Iceland.

Saw a bit of the England and Scotland games, both did fine against relatively poor opposition. Not sure if anything much can be read into either game.

I'm looking forward to the end of year when John Delany tells us once again he'll hire a world class manager.. which means this time it will be John Aldridge. I could have told you all that was going to happen after Kerr left unfortunetly. Sad
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2007, 10:36:40 AM »

And whose fault is it?

I've been really rooting for NI, but sadly I doubt they will make it through. They will have to beat Iceland and then get at the very least one tie in the two away games against Spain and Sweden (as well as beating Denmark on their home ground) in order to have any sort of a chance. I still hope Spain will fail to qualify though.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2007, 04:02:03 PM »

Sad

Not that it was unexpected but still...

Sad
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2007, 04:20:48 PM »

ONE- NIL!!!!!! Cheesy
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2007, 04:21:25 PM »

Yeah, just saw that. Knock those sore losers out, will ya.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2007, 04:23:10 PM »

England seem to have found their stride just in time as well.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2007, 04:29:34 PM »

Sad

Not that it was unexpected but still...

Sad

Time for the FAI to evict Mr. Delaney and his "world class management team".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies