Finnish 2007 parliament elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:01:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Finnish 2007 parliament elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Finnish 2007 parliament elections  (Read 1338 times)
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:40:17 PM »

The elections were week ago, but I have been too busy/lazy to write anything about them and unenthusiastic earlier.

Most elections fanatics here are probably aware about the results, but here some analysis. As I said I was unenthusiastic before the elections but the election night itself was a huge dose of pleasure! Smiley

Result first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_parliamentary_election,_2007

The economy here is excellent but however the centre-left cabinet lost. It was mostly because National Coalition run an energetic, positive, youthful and future-oriented campaign (which is natural from this libertarian leaning party) while Social Democrats made a major mistake with their negative and offensive one. Centre party however did quite well and succeeded to maintain their position as a biggest party what means that prime minister Matti Vanhanen will remain in his office. The more important thing is that Coalition will arise the power (with Centre of course) and the centre-right cabinet will be formed first time since 1995. Smiley Swedish People's Party is going the cabinet too and there are speculations about Greens and Christian Democrats but that is less likely, especially with Greens.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 12:50:29 AM »

From what little I can glean of Finnish politics, I doubt the Christian Democrats will make it into government unless the Coalition insists.  Considering that a SK, SDP, SFP triad would be able to form a government, I can't see the KK wanting to do that, at least not to the point of insisting on it.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:09:05 AM »

From what little I can glean of Finnish politics, I doubt the Christian Democrats will make it into government unless the Coalition insists.  Considering that a SK, SDP, SFP triad would be able to form a government, I can't see the KK wanting to do that, at least not to the point of insisting on it.
In fact Christian Democrats are much closer Centre than Coalition. They are both fairly socially conservative/economical leftist while Coalition is much more libertarian nowadays with their strong urban/suburban middle class support. A typical Coalition supporter in Helsinki area and other major cities is young, well-educated single who lives in a wealthy downtown area and is very liberal socially, but quite conservative economically. In USA he would probably vote Democrats.

Paradoxally Centre is a member of Liberal International even it has a very strong evangelical wing. Vanhanen himself is liberal or at least behaves like one. I just saw the newest headlines which screamed out that he is now dating with young Green member of Parliament. Seems that he waited that the elections are over. Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 02:10:42 PM »

We already had a thread on this here:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=54906.0
Might want to repost it there to keep it all packaged. Smiley

Now onto important things: is that Green Party MP you talk about hot? Wink
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 04:52:03 PM »

Now onto important things: is that Green Party MP you talk about hot? Wink
Not hot but not bad either

http://www2.eduskunta.fi/fakta/edustaja/560/index.html

Much better than Susan Kuronen who was dating with Vanhanen earlier and has now published the book about the relationship. Smiley

http://kuvat2.iltasanomat.fi/iltasanomat/iDoc/1244422-G54N2U4L.jpg
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies