RISK Sooper Sekret Syndicated Edition! I: Sign-Up/Rules
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:03:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  RISK Sooper Sekret Syndicated Edition! I: Sign-Up/Rules
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RISK Sooper Sekret Syndicated Edition! I: Sign-Up/Rules  (Read 4821 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2007, 08:44:30 PM »
« edited: March 28, 2007, 04:25:04 PM by ilikeverin »

THIS IS NOT PLAGIARIZED FROM JOE!!!!

Welcome to a new game of 'RISK Sooper Sekret Same-Time Edition'!  Six generals will battle it out to defeat their opponents and conquer the entire United States; using strategy, smarts, brute strength, and a healthy dose of 'risk'.

The six generals who will be playing in this game are Gabu, Bacon King, Jas, Guaffy-Poo, Josh22, and fezzyfestoon.  The winner will be permitted to stay on and defend their championship title in the next game.

There are only a few main differences between this version of RISK and the traditional version, which will be detailed below.  But by that I mean THERE ARE A LOT OF DIFFERENCES!  OMG!  In fact, it's practically not RISK anymore, but I'll say it is.

The map

The biggest difference is clearly the map we'll be using, except not but oh well.  Instead of 42 territories in the world, our map is based on the 50 states of the US.  This difference has forced a few more rules to change; e.g. the number of initial deployments, the number and layout of the regions, etc.

The red lines signify a border that either doesn't already exist between two states, or is ambiguous.  For clarification, no border exists between Utah and New Mexico and between Arizona and Colorado (the 'Four Corners'), and there is a border between Delaware and New Jersey (check a map; it's there).

Here is the map showing the layout and value of the regions (which will be explained later):

Bargain bin map, sorry Sad
Bonuses
Mexico Nuevo: +3
Cascadia-Deseret: +4
Tornadotopia: +7
Great Lakes: +4
Confederate States: +3
Middle East: +4
United Provinces: +4

Bonuses are completely arbitrary.  Argue about them with me plz.

Starting the game

The method by which the states and initial battalions will be distributed will be voted on by all players at the start of the game (or even before).  This will be explained fully never ever ever.

To begin with, all players will be given 25 battalions each to deploy among their states at the start of the game.  All battalions must be deployed, and each state must contain at least 1 battalion (at all times throughout the game).

Once all battalions have been deployed, the players may select which of their states they want to be their 'capital'.  Choose wisely, because you will not be able to change it later.  That state will remain your capital even if you lose control of the state.

Taking a turn

As in the traditional game, each player's turn is divided up into three stages, which must be performed in order:

1. Reinforcements

Each player will receive a number of battalions equal to their number of states divided by three, rounded to the closest whole number.  A minimum of three battalions is granted even if that formula would equal less than three.  So, for example, if a player controls 11 states, they'll get 4 reinforcements (11/3 = 3.7).

For easy reference:

10 states or fewer = 3 reinforcements
11-13 states = 4 reinforcements
14-16 states = 5 reinforcements
17-19 states = 6 reinforcements
20-22 states = 7 reinforcements
And so on.

Players will also receive a bonus number of reinforcements if they control any of the regions as shown in the map above at this point of their turn.  The number of reinforcements they'll receive depends on which region(s) they control, and those numbers are given in the table in the map itself.

Players may also trade in any sets of cards at this point too.  Cards will be explained in more depth later.  This is the only stage of your turn in which you may trade in cards.

2. Attack

Since this is a message board based game, I've had to employ a slightly different method to ensure that attack phases are performed efficiently and as quickly as possible.  Those who played in or followed the original games I ran should be familiar with it already.

Basically, all you need to do in this stage is PM me how many battalions you're sending to attack a neighboring state, how many of them you're willing to risk losing before calling a retreat, and how many battalions you want to leave in that state if you conquer it.

On that last part, you'll need to leave a minimum of three battalions there; if you attacked with less than three battalions, then you'll just have to keep however many battalions you used there.  Unless you specify how many battalions you're putting in your conquered state, I'll assume you want the maximum there.  If you say that your attack order is to "do or die", then there will be no retreat and the maximum number of battalions will be left in the conquered state.

You may attack as many states as you want during this stage, or none at all if you wish.  But always remember to leave at least 1 battalion in each of your states at all times.

If you conquer at least one state during this stage, you'll receive one card.  You will not receive any more than one card per turn, unless you destroy an opponent; in which case you receive any cards they were holding as well.

The dice rolls are performed using an online random number generator, found here.  You'll just have to trust me that I'll do it fairly. Smiley

3. Tactical Move

Once you've finished your attack phase, you may perform a tactical move if you wish.  You can move as many battalions as you want from one of your states to one neighboring state (remembering to leave one battalion behind, of course).  You may only perform one tactical move each turn.

Cards

Cards work on exactly the same principle as in the traditional version.  In this version, each card contains a state seal (which represents one state on the map), and a figurine (either an infantryman, cavalry, or cannon).  There is one card for each state (i.e. 50) and two wildcards.

Once you've collected a 'set' of three cards, you may trade them in at your next turn for more reinforcements.  A set of cards can be: three infantrymen; three cavalry; three cannons; or one of each.  The values of the sets will also be voted on by the players at the start of the game, which will be explained in the next post.

On trading in your cards, you'll receive an additional 2 battalions for each card that depicts the seal of a state that you control.  Those battalions will only be placed on that particular state.

The wildcards do not represent any state, and are simply a stand-in figurine in order to make a set of three cards.

Cards are dealt randomly, and the state seal on each one will not have any deliberate connection with states you conquered during that turn.

Your cards will be sent to you by PM, and it is your responsibility to keep them secret.  I'll be keeping a record of who has what card, for organization's sake.

Capitals

As mentioned earlier, your chosen capital may not be changed during the game, even if you lose control of that state.

If any player's army is destroyed, their capital will remain.  It will still be considered one of the three opponents' capitals necessary to win.

If an active army loses control of their capital, they are not 'out'.  They can continue to play and try and recapture their capital.

If, at the end of a turn, one player controls their own capital and three of their opponents' capitals, they have won the game.

Clarifications of rules

I've tried to make sure everything is clear here.  However, if you want me to clarify any of the above rules, I'll be happy to do so. Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 08:46:09 PM »

Not-Plagiarism

Okay, here's the fun part.  I'm limiting myself to a couple of variants I've made up for the sake of sanity.

1. Sooper

Obviously refers to how awesome this is.

2. Sekret

This is SEKRET RISK, a variant I randomly made up.  It's a bit like Stratego, oddly enough.  For one, the only capital you will know definitively from the start is your own.  And for two, the only parts of the map you will see are your states and the ones bordering yours.  You will not know the number of armies in the states bordering yours, either.  For instance, if the real map were this (black dots=capitals; I'll use a different symbol for them probably if we start play):

and you were the yellow player, the map to you would appear like this:

You would be unaware of both the army in Missouri massing on your borders and the tempting target that would be Arizona.

If you wish to communicate with other players, go ahead, I can't really stop you.  But are they telling the truth? Wink

Capitals are only revealed if you gain control of the territory in which they're located.  If you subsequently lose that capital, I'll still mark it as such on your map, even if it's your enemy's.  Don't forget to PM me your moves rather than posting them here... such a slipup could be fatal.

Before the start of your turn, I'll send you a map of the current situation.  If you really want one before then, PM me, I guess, but that's a bit excessive Wink  You will, of course, be informed of any attacks on your forces.  You may also receive reports of what your forces have heard recently. (e.g. "Your troops in Iowa recently heard a battle somewhere to their west.")

3. Syndicated

Well, that sounds like it could be kinda boring, eh?  Especially for the spectators, who get to see nothing whatsoever going on.  But see those random orange dots in some of the states?  That's what the "syndicated" means... news.  (okay, it was kind of a stretch, but I wanted to alliterate...)

For every round, there's a 2.5% chance any move in or out of a state within the region one of the dots is located in will be reported in that dot state's "newspaper".  For instance, let's say my army in South Dakota decides to randomly attack Montana.  I'd use the random number generator to pick a random number between 1 and 200 (d200, lol Tongue); if that number is 1 through 5, the newspaper in South Dakota would report on the story ("The yellow armies were seen advancing out of South Dakota today, heading towards Montana...").  Then I'd roll again to see whether the newspaper in Oregon would also pick it up.  And so forth.  I'm not sure how much detail will be in these "newspapers", but I suppose we'll have to see what is the most enjoyable.  This makes the probability of being reported on about 5%.

To make this more fair, however, players may choose to seize control of the local newspapers.  Each newspaper is considered to have the equivalent of 3 troops garrisoned around them at the beginning of play.  If you attack the presses, the story will not be reported on.  If you win the battle, you take control of the newspaper.  For one, you will be privy to all the "scoops" the newspaper might pick up in your region.  And, for two, you have the authority to decide whether these "scoops" will be published.  If you think it's absolutely critical that everyone else knows Pink attacked Blue in Connecticut, then that detail can be published... so long as the hypothetical 200-sided die I'm throwing shows that your newspaper got wind of the story.

And I think that's about it.  So yeah.  I'm forgetting something, please ask me for help/guidance.  If not, sign up!  First come first serve, pick your color (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple) when you sign up.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 08:51:36 PM »

How will the "sekret" part work, will you just PM people the maps after each turn they take?

And if so, how will you avoid people in alliances sharing info that they know (or is that supposed to happen?)?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:59:27 PM »

How will the "sekret" part work, will you just PM people the maps after each turn they take?

And if so, how will you avoid people in alliances sharing info that they know (or is that supposed to happen?)?

Before each turn that's taken, though I suppose I could do it after, too (actually that makes sense, I suppose, if people want to be lazy).  But they'd still be only getting "sekret-ized" maps.

And as to your second point, think of it like Diplomacy.  You can share the map you have all you want... but you can also easily make something up that seems legitimate, or completely bluff and not give up your map all you want.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 09:24:46 PM »

Aha, okay. Smiley

Well, sure, I'll give it a go.

By the way, why does Texas border Hawaii?  If I'm not mistaken, Mexico forms the entirety of Texas' southwestern border; it's not on the water there.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 09:42:39 PM »

Aha, okay. Smiley

Well, sure, I'll give it a go.

By the way, why does Texas border Hawaii?  If I'm not mistaken, Mexico forms the entirety of Texas' southwestern border; it's not on the water there.

Well they must teach geography dumb in Canada, because everyone knows that all the illegal immigrants along the Southern border are Hawai'ian and Alaskan.  Duhhhh.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 06:04:55 AM »

I'll play.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 08:13:13 AM »

I'm in.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:05:07 AM »

Me too!
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 12:17:32 PM »

I'll play
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 02:45:16 PM »

Dammit, I guess I'm too late.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 04:31:19 PM »

Okay, now that we have 6 players (sorry Joe Sad) I guess everyone will have to PM me their color preference, state-division-preference, and card preference.  So do that.

And in a case of very bad timing, I'll probably be gone from tomorrow to Tuesday, as I'll be in Florida in a place with very bad internet access (i.e. DIALUP OMG).
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 05:35:41 PM »

I probably won't be active enough anyway, I'll let Joe take my spot if he so desires.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 05:04:04 PM »

I'm still waiting for a PM from Bacon King, fezzy, and Josh22.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 06:18:48 PM »

If BK really can't play, I'll happily fill in.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies