George W Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:12:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  George W Bush
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What is your current state of mind towards him?
1 Strongly disapprove

2 Disapprove

3 neutral

4 Approve

5 Strongly approve

6 Worst president of all

7 Best president of all

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: George W Bush  (Read 4549 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 09:28:49 PM »

Can't fault the man for sticking to his beliefs, however misguided they may be.

Yes you can! I would fault Communists, Anarchists, and Fascists when they stick to their beliefs. Being blindly stubborn in the face of reality is not a positive.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »

Mildly disapprove at present, which puts me at somewhere between 2 and 3, probably closer to 2 at present.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I actually am liking his second term more than his first.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 10:05:00 PM »

Neutral at best.

And it's a sad commentary on our country's politics that he is preferrable to most others, and certainly the fools from both sides who have run Congress during his terms. What I approve of about Bush is that he is committed, however stubbornly, to achieving something for what we've invested in Bush. Some may say he's pumping money into a dead deal, but I still see success as a possibility. Maybe not a liberal democracy without any violence or hostility what so ever, but there's definitely still a chance Iraq emerges with a functioning government coalition, an armed forces that can keep the threat of militants low, and which is a regional ally of the United States on the level of a Kuwait. Those who disagree just cannot appreciate what will happen when the US removes itself from the Iraq situation. If you say it's an unstabilized mess now, what is it once you remove the only thing keeping it from completely imploding on itself?

My disagreements with Bush are mainly on his No Child Left Behind schtick, which is clearly a failure as presented, his trusting of his friends and associates when they're in over their heads, and how he's selling this War on Terrorism. Presenting it as a moral crusade was foolish from the start. He should've laid out exactly what we wanted from the beginning; (1) regional allies against Iran, (2) the stiffling of revolutionary Islam, and (3) economic control over the region. I think those are more realistic goals than the eradication of global terrorism.

All he can do now to rehabilitate himself is to continue the fight the Democrats in Congress. His Presidency is a lost cause right now, but he is certainly still useful. Having him veto every bill he disagrees with that does not have veto proof majorities would go a long way towards stopping the crap Pelosi and Co. are pushing.
Deano963

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 10:11:10 PM »

approve.

it is hard not to approve of him compared to the congress.  timetable for withdrawl?  what nonsense.  no way to fight a war, that is for sure.

and you all call bush dumb. 

LOL. This is Comedy Goldmine material if I've ever seen it. I wonder if the repubs who spout this kind of idiotic nonsense even get the irony of their own statements.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 10:20:51 PM »

Strongly disapprove.  I wouldn't call him the worst President of all time but he's in the bottom 5.  IMO, he's been a failure in all respects.

Foreign Policy -- He squandered the greatest international support we've had in decades to invade a country on shoddy intel.  North Korea got nukes.  The world's most wanted terrorist attacked us 6 years ago and is still on the loose.  We are in a military quagmire.  And Iran is pushing towards getting nukes.

Domestic Policy -- His party had Congress and the Supreme Court for the majority of his 2 terms in office and he advanced none of his stated agenda.

Fiscal Policy -- When he came into office we had a massive budget surplus and the economy was going like gangubsters.  Now it is puttering along and the deficit is skyrocketing.  Non-military spending skyrocketed under Bush and he never veto'd a single bill.

Natural Disasters -- Katrina fumble

Cleaning Up The White House -- Promised to return honor to the White House but had his VP's chief of staff "out" a CIA agent who was charged with investigating the sale of illegal nuclear materials.

Can someone give me an example of something at which Bush has succeeded?

Wow, this is almost exactly what I think of him, especially the part about him not yet being the worst pres. but at the bottom (I think we have to reserve judgement until after his term is FINALLY over) good job!
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2007, 11:07:26 PM »

Strongly Dissaprove
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 11:23:53 PM »

He's obviously a terrible, embarrassing president but I wouldn't say he's the worst of all time. So I'll say I strongly disapprove.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2007, 11:31:37 PM »

Strongly Disapprove, but since his Presidency hasn't even concluded nor have we fully experienced the effects of his Presidency, its meaningless to discuss his historical ranking.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2007, 12:48:24 AM »

Approve of everything except his liberal fiscal agenda.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2007, 01:41:30 AM »

Strongly Strongly disapprove, a huge failure, an embarrassment, disgrace. incompetent, a clusterF*#) of a Presidency
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2007, 06:03:11 AM »

Worst obviously.

Say, MODU, why would you be so strongly disapproving of congress?  It is the president who has the real power.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2007, 06:53:02 AM »

Say, MODU, why would you be so strongly disapproving of congress?  It is the president who has the real power.

The President might have "the real power," but he doesn't have "all the power."  Congress has failed in their duties.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2007, 09:33:29 AM »

The President might have "the real power," but he doesn't have "all the power."  Congress has failed in their duties.

I think most of us are in agreement about the failure of Congress.  However, a President should be able to drive Congress to act (especially if his party holds the majority in Congress).
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2007, 10:51:33 AM »

Totals so far with 48 votes total:

71% disapprove
6%   neutral
23% approve
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2007, 12:37:09 PM »

But the Congress is new.. it was the old one which was voted out last year which failed.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2007, 12:49:49 PM »

Strongly disapprove.

I will give him this: he's consistently amusing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2007, 12:58:03 PM »

I will give him this: he's consistently amusing.

Yes, true, but most of us are too terrified to laugh..
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2007, 11:33:55 PM »

Much like Grover Cleveland, I like President Bush because of the enemies he has made.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2007, 12:48:34 AM »

I still don't get what people have against him other than that he beat Gore when he wasn't supposed to.  The Miers thing doesn't count because it went nowhere.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2007, 12:08:35 PM »

I still don't get what people have against him other than that he beat Gore when he wasn't supposed to.  The Miers thing doesn't count because it went nowhere.

Obviously his extreme right-wing agenda, Hardyar.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2007, 09:39:16 PM »

Strongly Disapprove. I don't think he's the worst president of all, however

Dave
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2007, 05:17:26 PM »

1. I don't enough about many other presidents to judge them as I won't vote 6, but Bush has been an epic fail of a presidency aswell as being an epic fail as a human being of decency. (Not that that is unique among US presidents)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2007, 06:37:34 PM »

Strongly disapprove.

In 100 years, his failure to address global warming at a critical time may overshadow all the rest of his screwups.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 07:19:30 AM »

Strongly disapprove.

In 100 years, his failure to address global warming at a critical time may overshadow all the rest of his screwups.

We are gonna waste so much government money on the scientific theory of "Global Warming" it's sad.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2007, 08:28:06 AM »

Strongly disapprove.

We are gonna waste so much government money on the scientific theory of "Global Warming" it's sad.
I'm not sure if you're trying to take a shot at global warming by calling it a scientific theory (gravity and the gas laws are theories too), but I wouldnt've thought someone who liked weather so much would refuse to see the truth about global warming...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies