Anti-CARLHAYDEN Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:38:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Anti-CARLHAYDEN Bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Anti-CARLHAYDEN Bill  (Read 14325 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2007, 04:58:48 PM »

So, legal immigrants must be living in the country for five years, but an illegal immigrant can apply for citizenship immediately? Very fair.

Bono, it's almost not worth fighting.  The senate is currently very open borders, I would suggest you run but you will either be in mine or Brandon H's district so your victory would do nothing.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2007, 04:59:46 PM »

Ok, one more serious amendment and then you can motion to end debate, I think there is a serious issue as to when and how this amnesty will take place, so I propose:

Section 2.4: An illegal immigrant may apply for amnesty one year after the passage of this bill
Section 2.5: A quota of 200,000 illegals will be allowed to apply for citizenship each year.

What is the rationale for 2.5?  Allowing 12 million people to apply for citizenship is still more practical than deporting them.

The rationale is that having this mass influx of new citizens at once, and let's be real many will need government programs, is too much to handle.  We need this to be a gradual change.  A green card raffle if we must.

But this sets a special limit based on their previous status as illegal aliens, which is against the spirit of the bill.  They should/will be considered new immigrants applying for citizenship legally.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2007, 05:01:27 PM »

Another DWTL amendment:
"Add a new Clause to Section 2 saying:
Must have been in the country for at least 10 years, hold a steady job or be the supporter of a family
"

Voting on this amendment ceases because it has been withdrawn by the sponsor.

I propose an amendment to add a Section 3 which will state "The five year waiting period applied to legal immigrants seeking to apply for citizenship is removed."
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2007, 05:02:43 PM »

Ok, one more serious amendment and then you can motion to end debate, I think there is a serious issue as to when and how this amnesty will take place, so I propose:

Section 2.4: An illegal immigrant may apply for amnesty one year after the passage of this bill
Section 2.5: A quota of 200,000 illegals will be allowed to apply for citizenship each year.

What is the rationale for 2.5?  Allowing 12 million people to apply for citizenship is still more practical than deporting them.

The rationale is that having this mass influx of new citizens at once, and let's be real many will need government programs, is too much to handle.  We need this to be a gradual change.  A green card raffle if we must.

But this sets a special limit based on their previous status as illegal aliens, which is against the spirit of the bill.  They should/will be considered new immigrants applying for citizenship legally.

How would you propose it is phrased then?  We seriously can't expect that it is a good thing to have about 12 million applying for citizenship at the same time.  Our economy would collapse
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2007, 06:01:44 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2007, 06:03:28 AM by Ebowed »

Voting on some sort of amendment to deny amnesty to workers "having committed the crime of using a fake identity or social security to gain employment or other benefits."

---

Nay
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2007, 09:18:13 AM »

aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2007, 10:33:33 AM »

Nay
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2007, 12:55:58 PM »

Nay
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »

So, does anyone want to add an anti CARLHAYDEN provision?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2007, 05:32:09 PM »

I don't recall a similar brouhaha when the Senate was debating the Anti-Opebo Bill.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2007, 05:51:22 PM »

Nay.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2007, 06:08:56 PM »

Nay
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2007, 05:44:30 PM »

The amendment fails.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2007, 04:42:44 AM »

I don't recall a similar brouhaha when the Senate was debating the Anti-Opebo Bill.
I was not in the Senate then.

I introduce the following amendment, to be tacked to the bottom of the bill:

Carl Hayden was not a Representative from Arizona from 1913 to 1927. He was not a Senator from Arizona from 1927 to 1969. The offices were in fact vacant during this time.
Making claims to the contrary is a federal felony, and is punishable by fine up to $54.

If the bill's name is changed, I'll happily withdraw my amendment.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2007, 06:17:05 PM »

Fine, I would like to change the name of the bill to "Illegal Immigration Bill."

Now we have another DWTL amendment to vote on, two new clauses to be added to Section 2.
"4. An illegal immigrant may apply for amnesty one year after the passage of this bill
5. A quota of 200,000 illegals will be allowed to apply for citizenship each year.
"

Nay
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2007, 06:44:35 PM »

Aye
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2007, 08:45:16 PM »

Nay
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2007, 08:48:58 PM »

Aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2007, 06:41:42 AM »

Nay
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2007, 12:40:15 PM »

Nay
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2007, 03:10:25 PM »

How would you propose it is phrased then?  We seriously can't expect that it is a good thing to have about 12 million applying for citizenship at the same time.  Our economy would collapse
Not the economy, but la Migra (eh... the USCIS) would indeed.

I think we need an amendment awarding them extra money and personnel here, perhaps change one month to three or four months as well.

Not sure how much money is needed...
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2007, 06:32:16 PM »

Nay.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2007, 07:05:28 AM »

Not the economy, but la Migra (eh... the USCIS) would indeed.

I think we need an amendment awarding them extra money and personnel here, perhaps change one month to three or four months as well.

Not sure how much money is needed...
I checked, and USCIS is pretty much self-supporting anyways... since they hit you 600 bucks per head for naturalization, and 900 bucks per head for permanent lawful residency - rates that have been jacked up quite a bit recently. However, they would have a massive initial outlay on new personnel etc before this bill goes into operation, with the money only coming in afterwards.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2007, 03:54:53 PM »

The amendment fails.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2007, 01:19:21 AM »

We are voting to add a Section 3: "The five year waiting period applied to legal immigrants seeking to apply for citizenship is removed."

---

Aye
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies