roundup of big state primary calendar news (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:37:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  roundup of big state primary calendar news (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: roundup of big state primary calendar news  (Read 9474 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 07, 2007, 03:47:48 PM »

I wasn't being very precise when I said that this would violate the RNC rules as well.  The RNC has the same primary window which begins on Feb. 5th (but they actually have *no* exception for IA/NV/NH/SC).  However, states can still hold their primaries before the window starts.  They just lose half of their delegates if they do so.  IA, NH, and SC are going to do this, and suffer the hit in the number of delegates they have.  (And it looks like NV Republicans may join NV Democrats in doing that as well.)  So it's not really against the RNC rules.  You just lose a lot of delegates by doing so.

Actually, the SC GOP primary is currently scheduled for Saturday, February 2 which I believe keeps in within the acceptable GOP window.  The parties run their own primaries in this state, so they don't have to both be on the same date and don't require any change in the law to be moved up.  I fully expect that the SC GOP primary will move up a week to Saturday January 26 now, but they'll wait a bit to see if any other state might muscle in on their date.

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 12:30:16 AM »

I doubt New Hampshire would move their primary up just one week because that predictable accordion effect from Florida and South Carolina.  If they do move, they'll have to commit to an all at one time move to either December 18 or December 11 (I can't imagine anyone would schedule a primary for Christmas Day or New Year's Day.)  The South Carolina GOP would then probably choose Saturday December 22 as that would not conflict with any bowl games that Clemson or USC would be likely to go to.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:57:05 AM »

Of course no one is pointing to the real problem here.  Why in hell are state governments in the business of holding political party primaries anyway?  The States should get out of the way and let the parties run their selection process whatever way they please, and pay for it as well.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 12:49:40 AM »

Phil, by February 12 the nomination races are likely to be already largely settled.  At best a Feb. 12 primary will get sloppy seconds of coverage along with Virginia and Tennessee by both the campaigns and the media after Mega Tuesday the week before, even if it isn't decided by then.  On the other hand if it should turn out to be a brokered convention for either party as a result of Mega Tuesday, then keeping the Apr. 22 date ensures at least three weeks of undivided attention (more than three weeks if Kansas moves up its April Fools Primary).
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 12:37:44 AM »

Any chance a state that's holding a general election this November might attach a non-binding preference to the ballot?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 02:55:12 PM »

So what happens to the Democratic candidates who pulled out of the Michigan primary?  Will they be able to get on the ballot if it gets rescheduled to the original date or are they screwed?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 02:36:26 PM »

Michigan is a go for Jan. 15!
(other thread)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies