Republican 2008 VP nominees
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:50:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Republican 2008 VP nominees
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Republican 2008 VP nominees  (Read 7229 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2007, 10:37:54 AM »
« edited: March 31, 2007, 10:39:25 AM by Kevin »

I've taken a suggestion of dividing the Republican and Democratic VP canidates into two thread since this is a long list. Here is the Republican canidates for VP

Republicans
 Gov. Haley Barbour of MS Solid Southern conservative, sharp strategist, national reputation as ex-RNC Chair, understands the media Adds nothing
electorally, may be too conservative for country, has mission to complete in post-Katrina MS

Ex-FL Gov. Jeb Bush Strong record as Governor, critical swing state, 100 percent name ID His last name is tarnished for a generation

Sen. Susan Collins of ME Moderate-liberal, woman with centrist appeal, could put ME into play Social views would cause consternation among GOP conservatives

Sen. Elizabeth Dole of NC Stellar "brand name" in GOP, solid conservative, woman, wouldn't be controversial Adds little electorally, unexciting candidate

Sen. Lindsay Graham of SC McCain favorite, some centrist appeal, long legislative experience Adds nothing electorally, has irritated many conservatives yet totally pro-Iraq War, brings back Clinton impeachment issue

Sen. Chuck Hagel of NE If Iraq is a total disaster, Hagel is a way for GOP nominee to separate himself from Bush Adds nothing electorally, would split party, strong personality would overshadow presidential candidate

Ex-Gov. Mike Huckabee of AR Moderate conservative, long executive record, weight loss twist Tax-cutting wing doesn't like him. Offers little or nothing electorally

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison of TX Solid conservative except on abortion, woman, long political experience, appeal in South plus West Adds little electorally. Only Texan who could be on the ticket in '08 (sorry, Rick Perry and John Cornyn), but is the Bush-whacked Lone Star State out of the running totally this time?

Sen. Joe Lieberman of CT Technically a Democrat-Fusion ticket, long Senate and foreign policy experience, hawk, could put CT in play Liberal views on economic and social issues would be anathema to GOP

Gov. Tim Pawlenty of MN Conservative with a Midwest twist, executive experience, swing state, McCain favorite Questionable whether he could carry MN after weak 2006 performance

Gov. Sonny Perdue of GA Solid conservative, Southern base, executive experience Perhaps too conservative for the country, adds nothing electorally
Gov. Jodi Rell of CT Liberal on social issues, woman, puts her state in play So liberal a GOP convention walk-out might occur

Gov. Bob Riley of AL Solid conservative, congressional and executive experience Gains the GOP nothing electorally. No foreign policy experience

Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice Black, female, impressive mind, 100
percent name ID Iraq, Iraq, Iraq: She owns it too. Bush III when almost no one wants that

Gov. Mark Sanford of SC Solid Southern conservative, executive and legislative experience, 2000 McCain backer Adds nothing electorally, mixed record in Pametto State

Sen. Gordon Smith of OR Centrist appeal, could make OR competitive Too liberal for most in GOP, likely loss of his GOP Senate seat (up in 2008)

Sen. Olympia Snowe of ME Liberal who appeals to center, woman, long legislative experience, could put ME into play Too liberal for most in GOP, possible convention walk-out

Ex-Sen. Fred Thompson of TN/Hollywood/DC Solid conservative, McCain supporter--at least until he got the White House bug recently, Reaganesque, great on TV Time may have passed, adds little electorally

Sen. David Vitter of LA Endorsed Rudy, possible Southern VP for him, good media image, could crusade for Katrina relief--separating the ticket from Bush Relatively unknown and inexperienced, adds nothing electorally, hasn't been vetted

Sen. George Voinovich of OH Long executive and legislative experience, could be the only way for GOP to save the key swing state of Ohio Nationally unknown, somewhat quirky in Senate

Any thoughts on this?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 02:15:20 PM »

haley barbour would be a good pick for giuliani.

i like barbour.  but his accent and 'aww-shucks' personality might be too much for the average voter to take (considering the last 8 years.)
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 03:18:24 AM »

Sen. Collins would be an interesting choice.  I could see her splitting up the Maine EV.

Sen. Voinovich could salvage Ohio for the GOP as you pointed out.

However, I don't think either of these two are really good options since their open Senates seats would cause Democrats to salivate.  Strickland would appoint a Democrat to fill Voinovich's seat (assuming the GOP wins the presidency b/c of him) and Collins' seat is already a target in 2008. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 05:59:23 PM »

A possible candidate who would be acceptable to the GOP base, to moderates, to most GOP Presidential candidates, is Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa.  Experienced, intelligent, capable, respected on both sides of the aisle, from the crucial midwest region, and would be looked at by the public as someone capable of taking over should the need arise. 
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 08:56:03 PM »

A possible candidate who would be acceptable to the GOP base, to moderates, to most GOP Presidential candidates, is Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa.  Experienced, intelligent, capable, respected on both sides of the aisle, from the crucial midwest region, and would be looked at by the public as someone capable of taking over should the need arise. 

Wouldn't he be considered too old though?
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 09:09:20 PM »

Grassley would be a poor choice.  Too old.

Also, John McCain had this to say about Chuck Grassley:

"You know, senator, I thought your problem was that you don't listen. But that's not it at all. Your problem is that you're a ing jerk."
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 05:28:34 AM »

Grassley would be a poor choice.  Too old.

Also, John McCain had this to say about Chuck Grassley:

"You know, senator, I thought your problem was that you don't listen. But that's not it at all. Your problem is that you're a ing jerk."

It's quotes like these that will slash the tires of the Straight Talk Express.
bbt
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 08:22:47 AM »

The best VP choice for ANY Republican nominee will be Fred Thompson, should Fred decide not to go for the White House himself.  If Thompson runs, Thompson wins and should pick perhaps Romney or Huckabee or Brownback for VP
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 12:13:55 PM »

Wouldn't he be considered too old though?

Yes, except for this, he would be a great candidate, regardless of what McCain has to say about him.  Someone of Grassley's qualities, but younger, would be a great VP choice.

The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 12:27:13 PM »

KB Hutchinson would be a good choice for most of the candidates, though she doesn't bring any swing bonus except perhaps a bit from women voters, the only scenario where I see her being more than marginally useful is if the Democratic ticket doesn't include a woman.

Condoleeza Rice would also be a solid VP and a good debater like KB, but she's damaged goods.

Newt would also bring debate and campaing skills but he's DOA thanks to the "revelation" of his affair in the 90's

Now that I have written about people that would be good VPs but are too damaged....

Watch out for John Thune

YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 12:28:15 PM »

I'm confused as to why Pence isn't on that list.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 12:29:29 PM »

It is usual that the VP is not a governor and therefore rule most governors out.  I think that if Fred Thompson is the nominee they will be going for a whole removed from Washington theme.  Therefore, I propose Gen. Tommy Franks and Fmr. Rep. J.C. Watts if Barack is the Democratic nominee.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 06:31:02 PM »

It is usual that the VP is not a governor and therefore rule most governors out.  I think that if Fred Thompson is the nominee they will be going for a whole removed from Washington theme.  Therefore, I propose Gen. Tommy Franks and Fmr. Rep. J.C. Watts if Barack is the Democratic nominee.

I would have to say that having J.C. Watts as the VP candidate, although he would be a very good VP candidate, would be seen by the Democrats, and by the nation, as the Republicans simply putting up a token African American candidate for VP, because the Democrats had nominated an African American for President.  This kind of tactic trying to impress voters will not work.  It would be seen as tokenism.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 02:52:48 PM »

I would have to say that having J.C. Watts as the VP candidate, although he would be a very good VP candidate, would be seen by the Democrats, and by the nation, as the Republicans simply putting up a token African American candidate for VP, because the Democrats had nominated an African American for President.  This kind of tactic trying to impress voters will not work.  It would be seen as tokenism.

J.C. Watts would be a excellent VP choice for ether Rudy or Romney. Also I don't think the Democrats are going to nomenate Hillary. 
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 02:53:26 PM »

Tommy Thompson would also be a very good VP candidate if he was chosen.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 02:57:01 PM »

Tommy Thompson would also be a very good VP candidate if he was chosen.

Him too, He could give us WI.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 07:14:49 PM »

2008 is gonna be unlike any recent Presidential election...so I think the Republican VP candidate will be a Governor or former Governor. The only Senators I can see are Lindsay Graham, and Fred Dalton Thompson.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 07:20:02 PM »

2008 is gonna be unlike any recent Presidential election...so I think the Republican VP candidate will be a Governor or former Governor. The only Senators I can see are Lindsay Graham, and Fred Dalton Thompson.

If Rudy or Romney get the nomenation they are going to have to choose a stunchly conservative running mate, J.C. Watts comes to mind as a decent running mate, Also Huckabee and Thune.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »

J.C. Watts would be more effective if Obama were not the nominee. He'd be a great choice no matter what.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 08:30:53 PM »

Two years ago I would have applauded that idea. Grassley would be an incredible President or Vice-President, and he is a very capable public servant. The selection of Grassley as Veep would cement Iowa for the GOP, however, I would not want to give Governor Chet Culver the power to appoint another Senator in his place. He is controlled by the far-left wingers in Iowa City, so I fear who he would appoint.

BTW, Governor Culver will never be on a national ticket. Much like Bob Casey, Jr., he is a not too bright son of his father. He is a big, friendly, and funny Iowan politician, but all he will ever be is an Iowan politician, and there is nothing wrong with that. Smiley
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 08:34:09 PM »

J.C. Watts would be more effective if Obama were not the nominee. He'd be a great choice no matter what.

I don't think Obama is going to be the nominee.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 10:18:21 PM »

Not with his numbers at present.
NHPolitico

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 01:19:23 PM »

I wonder if Fred would be interested in VP if he chooses not to run. I can't get a handle on if he's like McCain.
bbt
Rookie
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 02:53:38 PM »

I wonder if Fred would be interested in VP if he chooses not to run. I can't get a handle on if he's like McCain.

I have followed Fred's career since '77 and his work as prosecutor in the proceedings against Tenn Governor Ray Blanton's attempts to sell pardons and I believe Fred would run as VP, if nomintated
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 09:13:26 PM »

Not with his numbers at present.

Plus any Senator from a state with a Democratic governor would be just plain idiotic.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies