Is Lautenberg in trouble?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:51:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is Lautenberg in trouble?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is Lautenberg in trouble?  (Read 3988 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 10:41:59 PM »

Hmmmm, forgot about that. She did however barely win and got less than 50%, so one can accurately say that no Republican has ever gotten over 50% or won by more than 1.5 points statewide in New Jersey since 1993.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 10:45:04 PM »

so one can accurately say that no Republican has ever gotten over 50% or won by more than 1.5 points statewide in New Jersey since 1993.

...except that wasn't the point...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 10:48:38 PM »

Point is the Republicans in NJ are too weak to beat Lautenberg.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 10:50:14 PM »

Point is the Republicans in NJ are too weak to beat Lautenberg.

Well, yes, that is very true. I won't waste a single second getting my hopes up about this seat. The only candidate that really ever stood a chance at possibly beating him won't be running.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »

I cannot say this enough: New Jerseyans do not deserve good government, because they consistently vote against it.

No one especially likes cranky ol' Frank, but without a strong candidate like Bill Baroni, the octagenarian has more reason to fear the grim reaper than the New Jersey GOP.

Bill Baroni is currently running for the State Senate with alot of union labor behind him. Because he is running for the State Senate, it is very unlikely hell run for U.S. Senate.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2007, 01:48:38 AM »

Agreed with what you said Moderate, However the GOP can win in New Jersey with strong canidates in good years for Republicans, Had last year been a Republican year, Senator Bob Menendez would have become former Senator Bob Menendez I can assure you of that. 

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess one of you is much more qualified to "assure" the other one about New Jersey voting than vice versa.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2007, 10:54:59 AM »

I cannot say this enough: New Jerseyans do not deserve good government, because they consistently vote against it.

No one especially likes cranky ol' Frank, but without a strong candidate like Bill Baroni, the octagenarian has more reason to fear the grim reaper than the New Jersey GOP.

Bill Baroni is currently running for the State Senate with alot of union labor behind him. Because he is running for the State Senate, it is very unlikely hell run for U.S. Senate.

And he is the strong candidate I was referring to.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 11:04:26 AM »

And he is the strong candidate I was referring to.

I for one am glad Baroni is not running. He definitely would be one of the stronger GOP candidates. All along though I thought that he was waiting to run for Governor. The State Senate seat just brings more name rec.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 02:13:01 PM »

Honestly, I never thought Baroni would run for the US Senate in 2008 in the first place, but given the current state of that 14th District State Senate race, it is unlikely he'll have to campaign at all to win that seat.  Democrats in the district are rolling over, with Assemblywoman Linda Greenstein opting out of a bid because she just can't beat him.

Of course, because Bill Baroni is Bill Baroni, he'll be campaigning for the seat like he's 20 points behind.  He's already got an incredible slate of unions backing him already.

I know Wally Edge says that a run for State Senate puts Baroni out of the running for US Senate, but I honestly fail to see how a bid for State Senate will be any different for him than a bid for State Assembly.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 02:23:16 PM »

Honestly, I never thought Baroni would run for the US Senate in 2008 in the first place, but given the current state of that 14th District State Senate race, it is unlikely he'll have to campaign at all to win that seat.  Democrats in the district are rolling over, with Assemblywoman Linda Greenstein opting out of a bid because she just can't beat him.

Of course, because Bill Baroni is Bill Baroni, he'll be campaigning for the seat like he's 20 points behind.  He's already got an incredible slate of unions backing him already.

I know Wally Edge says that a run for State Senate puts Baroni out of the running for US Senate, but I honestly fail to see how a bid for State Senate will be any different for him than a bid for State Assembly.

In this race it wont be much different, especially with Linda Greenstein backing out and opting to run for reelect to the Assembly. Odds are the Democrats wont put up anyone competitive against Baroni. Like I said before I still think he wants to be Governor. Lets see how much he wins by, and then we can speculate as to a possible run in 2009 against Corzine, or as a Lt. Governor candidate in 2009.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2007, 03:46:02 PM »

Chris Christie and Baroni were the only the ones with a shot
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2007, 01:42:01 AM »

Sen Lautenberg is fifth on the vulnerable list of Dem next to Landrieu, Johnson, Baucus, and Harkin. I think he is safe for now.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies