AL: 2006 Attorney General Democratic Primary Election Result
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:37:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL: 2006 Attorney General Democratic Primary Election Result
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AL: 2006 Attorney General Democratic Primary Election Result  (Read 1384 times)
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2007, 02:57:32 PM »

New Election: 2006 Alabama Attorney General Democratic Primary Election Results

Larry Darby, a Montgomery lawyer, aroused some controversy in his first run for office. An outspoken atheist, he attacked the placement of the Ten Commandments in government buildings as an expression of "Jewish supremacism"; but he went much further when he claimed that the scale of the Holocaust was vastly exaggerated. Admitting that "I am what the propagandists call a Holocaust denier," Darby said that most concentration camp deaths resulted from epidemics.

For good measure, he attended a neo-Nazi conference and denounced the "Mexican invasion." And still managed to take 43 percent of the primary vote, a decent chunk of that coming from African-Americans. Somebody please explain that, because I can't.
RBH

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 04:24:05 PM »

Darby ran behind his average in Montgomery County (his home county) and won 31% in the county of his birth (Conecuh).

That would suggest that he got votes due to a lack of name recognition.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 04:28:40 PM »

But this was a primary. The voters were not choosing blindly based on party lines because there was only one party. How does that explain results like Russell County?
RBH

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 04:30:06 PM »

Lack of name recognition.

For all we know, Darby was the first candidate listed on the ballot in some places.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 02:21:27 AM »

I live in Alabama and am perplexed by this. I can say that leading up to the Primary, neither of these two men campaigned much in the Birmingham-metro - so name recognition and lack of knowledge of issues (although the Birmingham News did expose some of Darby's positions) played a big role.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:43:13 AM »

[Darby] still managed to take 43 percent of the primary vote, a decent chunk of that coming from African-Americans. Somebody please explain that, because I can't.

Judging by the map, it looks like Darby didn't do too well with African-Americans.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies