Most socially conservative large city (pop. over 600,000)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:53:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Most socially conservative large city (pop. over 600,000)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is the most socially conservative large city in the U.S.?
Chicago

Dallas

Houston

Los Angeles

New York City

San Antonio

San Diego

Philadelphia

Phoenix

Austin

Baltimore

Charlotte

Columbus

Detroit

Indianapolis

Jacksonville

Memphis

San Francisco

San Jose

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Most socially conservative large city (pop. over 600,000)  (Read 1877 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2007, 03:56:05 PM »

I'd say Dallas, followed by Memphis.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 07:27:12 PM »

Probably Jacksonville and Dallas.

Isn't Memphis a strongly Democratic city?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 07:38:28 PM »

I'm guessing we're talking strictly in the city limits?  Because that's what you used to categorize the cities as "large"

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 07:39:09 PM »

I'm incognizant of the actual cities themselves, but I believe that the counties containing Jacksonville and Phoenix have consistently voted Republican over the past few decades.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 08:19:59 PM »

Isn't Memphis a strongly Democratic city?

Memphis's county (Shelby) is majority-black yet only 57.5% for Kerry, so I guess it's very racially divided. Also, I think Shelby voted to ban gay marriage by a strong margin.

I'm incognizant of the actual cities themselves, but I believe that the counties containing Jacksonville and Phoenix have consistently voted Republican over the past few decades.

Phoenix's county (Maricopa) voted against banning ban marriage.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 08:39:02 PM »

I'm still bemused at Arizona voting against a gay marriage ban. How the hell does Oregon vote to ban it whereas Arizona votes against?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 08:40:12 PM »

I'm still bemused at Arizona voting against a gay marriage ban. How the hell does Oregon vote to ban it whereas Arizona votes against?

The Oregon ban did not include civil unions, the Arizona one did.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 08:50:17 PM »

Who voted for Austin?

Anyways, of that list, I would guess Memphis...but I couldn't say with any certainty.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 08:59:27 PM »

why is San Francisco on the list?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 09:30:48 PM »

I think that it would help if you define what you mean by socially conservative. If it means being anti-gay and pro-religion, Memphis is a strong candidate. If it means taking responsibility for your life and your family, not at all.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 09:39:54 PM »

why is San Francisco on the list?

I just copied the cities from the other polls of favorite city over 1 million and favorite city with a population 600,000 to 999,999.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2007, 09:42:41 PM »

I think that it would help if you define what you mean by socially conservative. If it means being anti-gay and pro-religion, Memphis is a strong candidate. If it means taking responsibility for your life and your family, not at all.

I was thinking of the former, though I wouldn't limit it to anti-gay and pro-religion.

Wouldn't the latter be more economic conservatism?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 09:46:23 PM »

I was thinking of the former, though I wouldn't limit it to anti-gay and pro-religion.

Wouldn't the latter be more economic conservatism?

I see what you're saying, but I just can't see a city with teenage pregnancy, drug abuse, high crime, etc, as much as Memphis as being socially conservative. Ditto for the acceptance and often expectation of corruption in local officials.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 10:13:24 PM »

Socially conservative is probably Dallas or Jacksonville. Socially conservative would be more interesting; I think it would probably be San Diego or Phoenix.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 01:06:14 AM »

Jacksonville, San Antonio, Memphis and Houston are the top 4, I don't have enough experience with them to say for sure which is the most. Charlotte and Indianapolis are also more conservative than other large cities. Dallas is probably the 2nd most liberal place in Texas (after Austin).

Just because a place votes strongly Democrat doesn't mean its liberal. All the blacks in Cuyahoga, Shelby and Wayne Counties voted strongly in support of banning gay marriage. And Detroit was 90%+ for Kerry! On some cultural issues, Oakland County, MI is more liberal than Detroit.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 10:10:42 AM »

Socially conservative is probably Dallas or Jacksonville. Socially conservative would be more interesting; I think it would probably be San Diego or Phoenix.

O rly?   Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 11:14:08 AM »

Cities that have annexed what would normally be suburbs in other cities are generally more conservative and Republican. Houston is the best example and is why the city has over two million people. However, I would guess that Jacksonville is the most conservative.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 02:09:18 PM »

With the Texas cities, there is an important distinction between city and metro area. 

Both the cities of Houston and Dallas have sizable gay communities (Houston larger than Dallas) and are full of socially moderate Republicans.  Houston has a sizably greater Hispanic population than Dallas, both have similar black populations.  Both these populations tend to be socially conservative on most issues.  Houston has a good bit more conservative suburbanite Republicans with city limits than Dallas; this has a lot to do with housing concerns.  Therefore, I would clearly say that Houston is more socially conservative than Dallas by a good bit.

When you get into metro areas, that's where the conservative Republicans are in total control in both places.  In metro areas, there is little difference between Houston and Dallas, except that I would give the socially conservative edge to Houston because of the Hispanic thingy.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 02:20:29 PM »

Cities that have annexed what would normally be suburbs in other cities are generally more conservative and Republican. Houston is the best example and is why the city has over two million people. However, I would guess that Jacksonville is the most conservative.

Houston is hard to compare to other cities, since it's really one big suburb, and the city has a severe hatred towards urban planning.  This means that if a suburb is closer to the center of the city, it is not necessarily more conservative and Republican.  Witness northeast Fort Bend County vs. southwest Harris County, where this trait can be found all over the place.

FYI, I should note that the city of Houston is about 61-65% Democrat.  The other 1.6 million in Harris County votes about 70% Republican, giving the total area its generic Republican lean of between 51-55% Republican.  Of course, a good number of these voters are Hispanics, blacks and Chinese (the sizable Vietnamese community in Houston votes Republican), so separate at your will.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 04:43:51 PM »

Houston is hard to compare to other cities, since it's really one big suburb, and the city has a severe hatred towards urban planning.  This means that if a suburb is closer to the center of the city, it is not necessarily more conservative and Republican.  Witness northeast Fort Bend County vs. southwest Harris County, where this trait can be found all over the place.

I'm not familiar of the politics within Texas counties. Can you please elaborate on the last two sentences?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 08:42:20 PM »

O rly?   Tongue

Gah! Economically conservative, of course.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies