Opinion of this quote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:09:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of this quote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of this quote?  (Read 896 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2007, 08:44:25 PM »

"Liberals seem to assume that, if you don't believe in their particular political solutions, then you don't really care about the people that they claim to want to help."

for all of those who call me a poorhater Roll Eyes

oh yeah, bonus points to anyone who can correctly identify the person the quote is attributed to.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 09:06:16 PM »

And conservatives seem to assume that, if you don't believe in their particular political solutions, then you're a coward and/or hate America.

And libertarians seem to assume that, if you don't believe in their particular political solutions, then you hate freedom.

And everyone seems to assume that, if you don't believe in their particular political solutions, then you're obviously wrong.

And so it goes. Tongue
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 09:55:26 PM »

And conservatives seem to assume that, if you don't believe in their particular political solutions, then you're a coward and/or hate America.

And libertarians seem to assume that, if you don't believe in their particular political solutions, then you hate freedom.

And everyone seems to assume that, if you don't believe in their particular political solutions, then you're obviously wrong.

And so it goes. Tongue

well, what about moderates and populists Gabu.  You can't say they're not guilty.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 10:33:26 PM »

well, what about moderates and populists Gabu.  You can't say they're not guilty.

I couldn't think of anything stereotypical that they say. Tongue
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 12:14:35 AM »

"If you're not moderate, you just hurt America by being extreme"

"If you're not a populist, you must love rich people"

How was that?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 05:55:29 AM »

I consider myself a moderate so I'll throw this one out there.  I was attacked for being wishy-washy and indecisive by an extremist libertarian.  He claimed that my willingness to accept compromise made me weak and that I had no political spine.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 12:56:55 AM »

but why do you want compromise?

If you want compromise because you believe that the middle route is better than either extreme in effectiveness, it's not spineless.  Trying for political pull and bipartisanship is spineless though.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 12:06:46 PM »

but why do you want compromise?

If you want compromise because you believe that the middle route is better than either extreme in effectiveness, it's not spineless.  Trying for political pull and bipartisanship is spineless though.

That's what I tried to explain to the guy but he didn't seem to see the difference.  Either he was just stupid or I am a bad explainer.  I generally fall somewhere left of center on most issues and I'm willing to compromise on some things if I feel like the resulting bargain would be a step in the right direction.  Its easier to get people to take several baby steps rather than one giant leap in political ideology.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 09:51:05 PM »

"Liberals seem to assume that, if you don't believe in their particular political solutions, then you don't really care about the people that they claim to want to help."

for all of those who call me a poorhater Roll Eyes

oh yeah, bonus points to anyone who can correctly identify the person the quote is attributed to.

Talk about a loaded statement. Of course, it could easily be applied to, well, anyone anywhere on the political spectrum since everyone is always accusing everyone else of only acting in their own economic (and sometimes social) interests while relatively few people will defend their position solely on the basis of their own economic interests (though, of course, what they say and what they believe are not necessarily the same; I'm not in a position to judge whether most people really do vote to their own economic interests).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies