NC Senate: Dole Would Face Threat from Miller
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:54:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC Senate: Dole Would Face Threat from Miller
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NC Senate: Dole Would Face Threat from Miller  (Read 815 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2007, 02:30:52 PM »
« edited: April 12, 2007, 02:35:38 PM by TheresNoMoney »

This shows that Congressman Brad Miller would potentially be a very good challenger to Liddy Dole. From the Public Policy Polling Institute:

Senate matchup:

Dole  44%
Miller  33%
Undecided  22%

Dole Approval:

Approve  43%
Disapprove 40%

Bush Approval:

Approve  40%
Disapprove  55%

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2007/04/elizabeth-dole-vs-brad-miller.html
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 02:39:32 PM »

Not a bad result considering that Etheridge lost to Dole 45%-30% in another recent poll.  At least Dole's approval rating is well under 50% and her disapproval seems quite high, and will only get higher in an election campaign.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 08:11:28 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2007, 06:27:28 PM by TheresNoMoney »

This will be a real darkhorse race. Miller would be a very good candidate.

While he is a little more liberal than the state as a whole, he is  a very appealing candidate and would have some great issues to hold against Dole (Iraq occupation, Social Security privatization, opposition to raising the minimum wage, CAFTA, etc.).  Miller has a similar populist appeal to a James Webb or Jon Tester (both who are more liberal than their states as well).
Rawlings
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: 5.22

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 08:32:53 PM »

I think it would have to be a very, very bad year for Republicans for this race to be even marginally close.  Liddy Dole is an incumbent in a fairly conservative state.  I don't think the national climate will be any worse than '06 and the GOP still held their Southern open seat in Tennessee (I would talk about Virginia but I'm not convinced it's all that Southern anymore!).

Besides, her positives still outweigh her negatives.  I think she wins.

By the way, isn't Bunning up in Kentucky in 2008?  His negatives are extremely high.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 08:58:10 PM »

I think the Republicans can hold their seat here... but wouldn't it be horrible for them if they had to defend yet another seat?
Rawlings
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: 5.22

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 09:03:54 PM »

I think the Republicans can hold their seat here... but wouldn't it be horrible for them if they had to defend yet another seat?

That's the problem for us Republicans.  Colorado is the GOP's first priority so we'll have plenty of resources to keep this seat.  But it's the Oregon seat, the New Hampshire seat, maybe the Virginia seat, the Minnesota seat, and who knows, maybe even Dole's North Carolina seat--that could all put a squeeze on the GOP and NRSC.  That's why I'm more worried about losing Oregon or NC than Colorado.  Schaffer will have all the resources and support he needs--but that takes away from Dole or Smith or whomever.

And, by the way, North Carolina is the only other red state besides Colorado to have a Dem governor and Dem legislature.  Coincidence?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 09:06:02 PM »

And, by the way, North Carolina is the only other red state besides Colorado to have a Dem governor and Dem legislature.  Coincidence?

West Virginia?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 09:17:44 PM »

West Virginia?

If you are going by Bush states:

Arkansas, Tennessee(Senate is now split), Iowa, New Mexico, Louisiana.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies