Utah Senate: Special Election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:56:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Utah Senate: Special Election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Utah Senate: Special Election?  (Read 4235 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:45:01 AM »

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) "took to the airwaves Sunday to defend Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, "but even though Gonzales’s future hangs in jeopardy over the dismissals of eight U.S. attorneys, the Utah Republican seemed shocked when NBC”s Meet the Press host Tim Russert suggested President Bush might ask Hatch to take over as attorney general," the Wall Street Journal reports.

"After insisting on the unlikely odds of such an event, Hatch said 'it’s up to the president,' but if duty called, “I would serve this country any way I could.”

However, Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT), "the Judiciary Committee chairman who would preside over confirmation hearings for a new attorney general, didn’t seem to think it was so farfetched," saying, "The rumor on the Hill this week was that he was actively running for it."

Read the transcript.

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2007/04/02/hatch_eyes_attorney_general_job.html

Supposing that Hatch does become Attorney General and there was a special election for his seat, could Matheson run for it and be competetive? 
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:01:52 AM »

Doubtful. Matheson is safe in the House; I don't know why he'd want to jeopardize that by running for Senate.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »

Doubtful. Matheson is safe in the House; I don't know why he'd want to jeopardize that by running for Senate.

If it was a special election in November this year he could run for the Senate without giving up his House seat. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 09:20:19 AM »

Ahem.  From the Utah Election Code...

20A-1-502.  Midterm vacancies in office of United States representative or senator.

(2) (a) When a vacancy occurs in the office of U.S. senator, it shall be filled for the unexpired term at the next regular general election.

(b) The governor shall appoint a person to serve as U.S. senator until the vacancy is filled by election from one of three persons nominated by the state central committee of the same political party as the prior officeholder.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE20A/htm/20A01018.htm
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:47:40 AM »

if gonzo resigns, bush should appoint the man he should have appointed in jan 2001, john danforth.

or he could be really clever and ask joe lieberman.  rell would pick his replacement.  Smiley
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 12:08:27 PM »

or he could be really clever and ask joe lieberman.  rell would pick his replacement.  Smiley

That would so make my day.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 03:32:14 PM »

I'd probably like whoever Rell picks more than Lieberman. She's a good example of a likeable Republican, and he's a good example of a despicable Democrat.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 05:32:43 PM »

I'd probably like whoever Rell picks more than Lieberman. She's a good example of a likeable Republican, and he's a good example of a despicable Democrat.

rob simmons would probably be the replacement.

i guess you all would like majority leader mcconnell too.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 05:38:50 PM »

Why on earth would Orrin Hatch give up his safe and respectable job in the Senate (which is his for as long as he wants it) to take up a job in a lame duck administration (which is due to end in two years)?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 05:48:38 PM »

Why on earth would Orrin Hatch give up his safe and respectable job in the Senate (which is his for as long as he wants it) to take up a job in a lame duck administration (which is due to end in two years)?

That would probably apply to any U.S. senator. This administration is a sinking ship; why go down with it?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 06:01:22 PM »

That would probably apply to any U.S. senator. This administration is a sinking ship; why go down with it?

I know it applies to any of them. Wink  I'm not just talking about Hatch; how could it be considered a positive career move for anybody to go from the Senate to a relatively short-term Cabinet position?
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2007, 06:04:52 PM by GOP = Terrorists »

Veto proof majorities make things interesting huh?

General Assembly
Proposed Bill No. 5034
January Session, 2007
LCO No. 432
Referred to Committee on Government Administration and Elections
Introduced by:
REP. O'BRIEN, 24th Dist.
AN ACT CONCERNING VACANCIES IN THE OFFICE OF UNITED STATES SENATOR FOR THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:
That section 9-211 of the general statutes be amended to change the process for filling a vacancy in the office of senator in Congress to make the process the same as that used to fill vacancies for the office of representative in Congress.

Statement of Purpose:
To ensure that vacancies in the office of senator in Congress are filled by means of a democratic election without undue delay.
Deano963

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 07:15:12 PM »

Too bad there is no clause in the 110 Congress' organizing resolution allowing for the Senate to be reorganized in case a of a party switch.

In other words, if Lieberman switched or he was replaced by a republican, Harry Reid would remain Majority Leader for the remainder of the 110th Congress (at least) Smiley.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 08:00:03 PM »

if gonzo resigns, bush should appoint the man he should have appointed in jan 2001, john danforth.

Then Gore might as well have won.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 08:16:39 PM »

are you kidding me?

what do you have against danforth?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 08:30:55 PM »

Except Lieberman would never accept. He'd be giving up his Senate seat for less than 2 years in a lame duck admin. Same with Hatch too of course.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 12:40:51 AM »

are you kidding me?

my guess would be he might be half shrill instead of full shrill to the Bush admin ala Gonzo
J.G.H.
Zeus
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 12:50:24 AM »

Too bad there is no clause in the 110 Congress' organizing resolution allowing for the Senate to be reorganized in case a of a party switch.

In other words, if Lieberman switched or he was replaced by a republican, Harry Reid would remain Majority Leader for the remainder of the 110th Congress (at least) Smiley.

I doubt it. The Republicans would try to force through a new organizing resolution, and if the Democrats filibustered it, I would hope that the Republicans would have the sense to "shut down" the Senate. Trying to rule from the minority isn't good politics, and I don't think the American people would stand for it.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 01:39:08 AM »

are you kidding me?

Danforth has never stood for anything in his life.  He deserved to lose to Woods (R.I.P.) in 1982.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 03:13:45 AM »

Well, Orrin Hatch is 73 years old.  And I'm not sure he'll be all that happy to spend at least 5 1/2 more years in the Senate when he's almost assured to be in the minority.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 04:43:29 AM »

I doubt it. The Republicans would try to force through a new organizing resolution, and if the Democrats filibustered it, I would hope that the Republicans would have the sense to "shut down" the Senate. Trying to rule from the minority isn't good politics, and I don't think the American people would stand for it.

As somebody noted above, before Rell would have a chance to fill the vacancy, the CT legislature would pass (over a veto, if necessary) a law stripping her of such power.  2/3 majority in both chambers is with the Dems, you know.

In any case, I don't think appointing a Republican would be a smart move for Rell and CT Republicans. Not only would it ensure a Dem pick-up of the CT governor seat at the first opportunity, it might also destroy Shays in 2008, and would have nasty conseqences for even the most popular of Vermont and RI governors: a realization, that a Rep governor means a Rep senator might make it impossible for anyone with (R) after his/her name to be elected to any governorship in New England.  Even if she has a chance, I'd expect Rell to appoint a nominal independent. More likely, I'd expect her to simply sign whichever the Senatorial vacancy bill the legislature passes (whether it would require immediate election, or legislative confirmation or same party appointment, or whatever).
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »

In any case, I don't think appointing a Republican would be a smart move for Rell and CT Republicans. Not only would it ensure a Dem pick-up of the CT governor seat at the first opportunity, it might also destroy Shays in 2008, and would have nasty conseqences for even the most popular of Vermont and RI governors: a realization, that a Rep governor means a Rep senator might make it impossible for anyone with (R) after his/her name to be elected to any governorship in New England.  Even if she has a chance, I'd expect Rell to appoint a nominal independent. More likely, I'd expect her to simply sign whichever the Senatorial vacancy bill the legislature passes (whether it would require immediate election, or legislative confirmation or same party appointment, or whatever).

You've got to be kidding -- that's ridiculous.  Connecticut isn't going to revolt over a moderate like Rob Simmons being made Senator.  And they're not going to boot Chris Shays because someone appoints someone else to some other office.  Whatever.

Rhode Island didn't revolt over Linc Chafee being appointed to the US Senate.  And then Don Carcieri won election as Governor as an upset.

Despite what you think, New England doesn't instinctively hate Republicans unless they have a good reason to.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 02:05:48 PM »

You've got to be kidding -- that's ridiculous.  Connecticut isn't going to revolt over a moderate like Rob Simmons being made Senator.  And they're not going to boot Chris Shays because someone appoints someone else to some other office.  Whatever.

If it didn't flip control of the Senate, you'd probably be right, but it would.

I personally consider Simmons to be just as much as utter scum as Tom DeLay or Tom Coburn. Of course, not much worse than Lieberman.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 02:07:53 PM »

The American people wanted a Democratic Senate and voted for one. They don't want to lose it over some political manipulations rather than elections.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 02:09:59 PM »

The American people wanted a Democratic Senate and voted for one. They don't want to lose it over some political manipulations rather than elections.

The American people wanted a split senate in 2000 and voted for one.  They didn't want to lose it over some political manipulations, but that's exactly what happened.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies