Utah Senate: Special Election? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:16:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Utah Senate: Special Election? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Utah Senate: Special Election?  (Read 4313 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: April 03, 2007, 04:43:29 AM »

or he could be really clever and ask joe lieberman.  rell would pick his replacement.  Smiley

That would so make my day.

I'd probably like whoever Rell picks more than Lieberman. She's a good example of a likeable Republican, and he's a good example of a despicable Democrat.

rob simmons would probably be the replacement.

i guess you all would like majority leader mcconnell too.

Too bad there is no clause in the 110 Congress' organizing resolution allowing for the Senate to be reorganized in case a of a party switch.

In other words, if Lieberman switched or he was replaced by a republican, Harry Reid would remain Majority Leader for the remainder of the 110th Congress (at least) Smiley.

I doubt it. The Republicans would try to force through a new organizing resolution, and if the Democrats filibustered it, I would hope that the Republicans would have the sense to "shut down" the Senate. Trying to rule from the minority isn't good politics, and I don't think the American people would stand for it.

As somebody noted above, before Rell would have a chance to fill the vacancy, the CT legislature would pass (over a veto, if necessary) a law stripping her of such power.  2/3 majority in both chambers is with the Dems, you know.

In any case, I don't think appointing a Republican would be a smart move for Rell and CT Republicans. Not only would it ensure a Dem pick-up of the CT governor seat at the first opportunity, it might also destroy Shays in 2008, and would have nasty conseqences for even the most popular of Vermont and RI governors: a realization, that a Rep governor means a Rep senator might make it impossible for anyone with (R) after his/her name to be elected to any governorship in New England.  Even if she has a chance, I'd expect Rell to appoint a nominal independent. More likely, I'd expect her to simply sign whichever the Senatorial vacancy bill the legislature passes (whether it would require immediate election, or legislative confirmation or same party appointment, or whatever).
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »

or he could be really clever and ask joe lieberman.  rell would pick his replacement.  Smiley

That would so make my day.

I'd probably like whoever Rell picks more than Lieberman. She's a good example of a likeable Republican, and he's a good example of a despicable Democrat.

rob simmons would probably be the replacement.

i guess you all would like majority leader mcconnell too.

Too bad there is no clause in the 110 Congress' organizing resolution allowing for the Senate to be reorganized in case a of a party switch.

In other words, if Lieberman switched or he was replaced by a republican, Harry Reid would remain Majority Leader for the remainder of the 110th Congress (at least) Smiley.

I doubt it. The Republicans would try to force through a new organizing resolution, and if the Democrats filibustered it, I would hope that the Republicans would have the sense to "shut down" the Senate. Trying to rule from the minority isn't good politics, and I don't think the American people would stand for it.

The American people wanted a Democratic Senate and voted for one. They don't want to lose it over some political manipulations rather than elections.

The American people wanted a split senate in 2000 and voted for one.  They didn't want to lose it over some political manipulations, but that's exactly what happened.

American people didn't want anything. The people, in general, doesn't want anything - individual citizens do.  And vast majority of individual citizens of Connecticut didn't want a Republican-controlled Senate, that's most obviously true.

CT is not going to revolt, of course - no state has since 1861.  But, if Rell dares to switch control of the Senate from D to R she runs a serious risk of going from the most popular to the least popular local politician overnight.  Most residents of New England  do not instinctively hate every Republican - you are absolutely right about that. In fact, many local Republicans are locally popular, respected, admired, etc. But most of them don't like the national Republican party (that's a mild way of puting it).  If local Republicans make the federal Senate go R, R will become the scarlet letter. I wouldn't be surprized if it were to cause an emergence of a notable "third party" locally - in fact, chances are that party would be the Republican.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies