Is raising a child as a fundamentalist child abuse?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:54:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is raising a child as a fundamentalist child abuse?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is raising a child as a fundamentalist child abuse?  (Read 6441 times)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 09:59:02 PM »

They are borderline anarchists. What do you expect?

Oh, no. Quite the opposite; they absolutely want order and for the government to instill it.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2007, 12:49:34 AM »

It's a Hell of a lot better than raising them, say, Vegan.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2007, 09:32:22 AM »

It's a Hell of a lot better than raising them, say, Vegan.

How so?
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2007, 09:52:22 AM »

Because they're not eating any meat, silly.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2007, 06:09:25 PM »

Because they're not eating any meat, silly.

Which is generally very healthy.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2007, 07:22:55 PM »

Generally? That might be a stretch. The vegan lifestyle can be very unhealthy if you don't know what you're doing - if you're not careful you can be skipping out on a lot of nutrients that you would otherwise get from meats. Of course the same can be said of an all meat diet, which is even more likely to result in malnutrition, not to mention constipation. Tongue

The best way IMHO is a balanced diet - not too much or too little of anything. Humans are omnivores afterall. With meat you just want to ensure you don't get too much red meat and lean more towards meat like poultry and fish.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 12:10:39 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2007, 12:12:59 PM by SoFA Gabu »

Generally? That might be a stretch. The vegan lifestyle can be very unhealthy if you don't know what you're doing - if you're not careful you can be skipping out on a lot of nutrients that you would otherwise get from meats. Of course the same can be said of an all meat diet, which is even more likely to result in malnutrition, not to mention constipation. Tongue

Well, yes.  But given that the default in Western culture is to eat a lot of meat, people who consciously make the decision to go vegan generally have done a lot of research in alternative sources of nutrients, since the entire point of not eating meat is to make oneself healthier.  There actually are a surprising amount of vegetarian ways to get stuff like protein that is more commonly gotten through meat.  Ever since people figured out that you could make just about everything out of soy beans, going 100% vegetarian has gotten easier and easier.

It's true that a balanced diet is a good thing, but I think a lot of people think that a "balanced" diet means "half meat, half everything else", which is... not exactly correct.  A diet is balanced if you're getting everything you need and if you're not getting the things you shouldn't.  Beyond that, it doesn't really matter what's in it.

Myself, I'm not a pure vegetarian, but the meat that I do eat is mostly seafood, which many "manly" men don't feel even constitutes meat. Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 02:29:13 PM »

Well, yes.  But given that the default in Western culture is to eat a lot of meat, people who consciously make the decision to go vegan generally have done a lot of research in alternative sources of nutrients, since the entire point of not eating meat is to make oneself healthier.

I thought most people who go vegan do so because they think eating animals is wrong. Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 02:38:37 PM »

Well, yes.  But given that the default in Western culture is to eat a lot of meat, people who consciously make the decision to go vegan generally have done a lot of research in alternative sources of nutrients, since the entire point of not eating meat is to make oneself healthier.

I thought most people who go vegan do so because they think eating animals is wrong. Tongue

Oh, wait, sorry, I was thinking of simple vegetarianism when I was writing that.

Yeah, veganism is different.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2007, 07:25:20 PM »

Saw the BBC Louis Theroux documentary on the Phelps family of the Westboro Baptist Church recently. Shocking and appaling stuff. The most interesting aspect was how the children had been brought up surrounded by ideals based on anger, hatred and delight in "God's vengeance on the wicked". Ultimately they but believed they were doing good - spreading God's message.

I don't know whether or not I'd characterise what was happening as abusive of the children but I certainly felt that the treatment was wrong. What should be done about it, if anything, I don't know.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2007, 07:29:03 PM »

Saw the BBC Louis Theroux documentary on the Phelps family of the Westboro Baptist Church recently. Shocking and appaling stuff. The most interesting aspect was how the children had been brought up surrounded by ideals based on anger, hatred and delight in "God's vengeance on the wicked". Ultimately they but believed they were doing good - spreading God's message.

I don't know whether or not I'd characterise what was happening as abusive of the children but I certainly felt that the treatment was wrong. What should be done about it, if anything, I don't know.

Those insane folks are of a whole 'nother category from true fundamentalists. The great majority of fundamentalists I know are completly disgusted by the Phelps.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2007, 07:41:50 PM »

Those insane folks are of a whole 'nother category from true fundamentalists. The great majority of fundamentalists I know are completly disgusted by the Phelps.

Absolutely and that was a point that was quite clear. The Church is almost exclusively made up of the Phelps family.

They are though still fundamentalists (if albeit fundamentalist fundamentalists). It's all a matter of degree I suppose.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2007, 11:15:29 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2007, 11:17:40 AM by Verily »

I don't know about "abuse", but it sickens me to no end to see parents trying to make absolutely sure their children agree with them in every way.

Agreed.

Oh, wait, sorry, I was thinking of simple vegetarianism when I was writing that.

Yeah, veganism is different.

Actually, veganism would be for health reasons exclusively when compared to vegetarianism since vegetarians only refsue meat but vegans refuse any animal-related product at all on the grounds of milk, eggs, etc. being unhealthy.

I suppose PETA people are probably also vegan because of supposed animal abuse, but the only vegans I know are vegan for health reasons.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies