Opinion of Drinking Laws
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:30:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Drinking Laws
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Opinion of Drinking Laws  (Read 2537 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 03, 2007, 06:26:43 PM »

I believe they are not only awful but they increase crime and lead to deaths.  The reason for America's binge drinking and DWI problems is the fact kids want to drink because it is against the rules.  If we eliminated these laws, DWI arrests would drop drastically and alcohol poisoning cases would fall.  I see no problem with drinking, although I guess a lot of people will say it's had a negative effect on me Smiley
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:29:39 PM »

They're perhaps a small part of it in cases involving teenagers, but people over 21 have shown themselves to be just as capable of driving while intoxicated and drinking way too much as those under 21.  Personally, I think it has more to do with the mentality that you have to be drunk to be able to enjoy yourself than anything else.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 07:43:04 PM »

I believe they are not only awful but they increase crime and lead to deaths.  The reason for America's binge drinking and DWI problems is the fact kids want to drink because it is against the rules.  If we eliminated these laws, DWI arrests would drop drastically and alcohol poisoning cases would fall.  I see no problem with drinking, although I guess a lot of people will say it's had a negative effect on me Smiley

I think that you'd be hard pressed to find someone that supports drinking laws on this forum.

By the way, why are you in the evil party-doing a reverse Emsworth?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 12:54:59 AM »

I think it is silly that the drinking age is 21.  I generally think that America does things backwards with respect to drinking in large part due to our obsession and dependence on cars.  The drinking age should be 15 and the driving age should be 18.  If this were the case there would be a dramatic decrease in alcohol and automobile related deaths of teenagers and college students.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:25:24 AM »

Drinking laws really don't affect me, because I don't drink... However, I don't believe that someone who can go to war can't have a drink.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 01:28:59 AM »

There is no need for either a drinking age or 'drunk driving' laws.  Needless intrusion.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 09:08:33 AM »

They are ridiculous.  I'm well past 21 now but I still believe they are silly.  If you are old enough to fight and die for your country, old enough to select your nation's leaders, and old enough to be tried as an adult for your actions, then you are old enough to drink responsibly.

The history of why the drinking age went up to 21 is because back in the 1970s MADD presented a study which showed that most auto accident deaths occur in college age drunk drivers.  The study failed to make note of 2 important things.

1. That drunk driving is the #1 cause of auto deaths in any age group.
2. Non-alcohol related auto fatalities is highest amongst young drivers.

So, to appease a voting block (MADD), Congress took away the rights of a non-voting block (under 21s).
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 09:41:17 AM »

Raise the drinking age to 25, or bring back Prohibition for all I care.  I've had enough of drunken frat idiots at football games, and since well, MSU hasn't had the most success lately, they're always ranting and getting mad and threatening to throw their cowbells into the crowd.  It's scary.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 11:57:06 AM »

So, to appease a voting block (MADD), Congress took away the rights of a non-voting block (under 21s).

Er, the voting age is 18...
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 12:12:42 PM »

Er, the voting age is 18...

Yes ... but the voter turnout from 18-21 is extremely low.  Hence, it is a largely ignored voting block.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 03:49:07 PM »

I think that you'd be hard pressed to find someone that supports drinking laws on this forum.

Well, I tried to say I was a libertarian but people don't me I didn't belong b/c of I oppose gay marriage and approve of the Patriot Act.  Aside from that, many of my positions are even more radical than libertarians.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 04:29:06 PM »

Abolish all drinking laws except as it comes to safety laws for manufacturing drinks.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 06:12:36 PM »

Well, I tried to say I was a libertarian but people don't me I didn't belong b/c of I oppose gay marriage and approve of the Patriot Act.  Aside from that, many of my positions are even more radical than libertarians.

well, pretty much both things you mentioned are an increase in government.  We don't want government to define marriage and we don't want unwarranted searches.  Pretty basic things to ask for, really...
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 01:18:08 PM »

I don't support age limits on any substance of that nature. Seems a rather silly concept to me that they just pulled a number out of their ass and determined that it was the proper age in which to allow people to begin drinking alcohol. Same with cigarettes.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 05:02:58 PM »

The drinking age should be lowered to 18, or maybe 19.  Actually, 19, I think.  That way only stupids are in high school and drinking Wink
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 01:28:44 AM »

Yeah, I actually noticed your recent shift to the left on social issues. I found that you must have had an epiphany, considering that you use to have a social score of +7.something.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 07:28:01 AM »

Yeah, I actually noticed your recent shift to the left on social issues. I found that you must have had an epiphany, considering that you use to have a social score of +7.something.

Actually I just reevaluated some issues and gave more truthful answers on others
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 08:54:14 AM »

As far as I'm concerned if you're old enough to fight for you country or vote for your leaders... then you should be allowed to drink.

The drinking age here is 18 - I've been on college campuses... and the degree of binge drinking stuns me... an Australian.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 12:29:48 PM »

He's headed in the wrong direction, that's for sure.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 12:35:15 PM »

hmm im in an awkward position here.

im known as a 'drinker' on this board.  yet, for the most part, i support the current drinking laws.

i think it has been shown that those under 21 have a hard time handling alcohol responsibly.  just look at the binge drinking deaths statistics.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 12:53:07 PM »

im known as a 'drinker' on this board.  yet, for the most part, i support the current drinking laws.

i think it has been shown that those under 21 have a hard time handling alcohol responsibly.  just look at the binge drinking deaths statistics.

All the binge drinking is largely as a result of the drinking laws. I did it a lot more before I was 21, because I wanted to drink as much as possible and since I couldn't just walk into a bar and have one beer I didn't have the opportunity all the time. So whenever I was at some keg or house party I would try to drink as much as possible and this is something I see all underage people do even today.

I also hardly see any difference in the maturity of a 21 year old and an 18 year old.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 08:28:41 PM »

All the binge drinking is largely as a result of the drinking laws. I did it a lot more before I was 21, because I wanted to drink as much as possible and since I couldn't just walk into a bar and have one beer I didn't have the opportunity all the time. So whenever I was at some keg or house party I would try to drink as much as possible and this is something I see all underage people do even today.

I also hardly see any difference in the maturity of a 21 year old and an 18 year old.

most people are more mature at 21 than at 18.

i realize that may not be true in your case.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 10:36:08 PM »

Move the drinking age to much lower, look at Europe for guidance on what to do.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 12:54:33 AM »

Raise the drinking age to 25, or bring back Prohibition for all I care.  I've had enough of drunken frat idiots at football games, and since well, MSU hasn't had the most success lately, they're always ranting and getting mad and threatening to throw their cowbells into the crowd.  It's scary.

It should be 25 in the Great Lakes region and 18 in the rest of the nation.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 02:22:02 AM »

most people are more mature at 21 than at 18.

If you would hang out in the bars I go to for awhile, you would quickly see that that is not the case.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies