Should Supreme Court Justices be elected? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:21:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Should Supreme Court Justices be elected? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should Supreme Court Justices be elected?  (Read 24939 times)
migrendel
Italy

« on: July 13, 2004, 08:58:52 AM »

I believe the consequences of an elected Supreme Court could be disastrous. The freedom to decide cases on their merits and not on public opinion would no longer exist.

When I hear about an elected Supreme Court, I remember how bitterly controversial Brown v. Board of Education, Roe v. Wade, Miranda v. Arizona, Loving v. Virginia, Engel v. Vitale, Texas v. Johnson, and Lawrence v. Texas were when first decided. All of those cases affirmed human freedom and the dignity and worth of all of our citizens. I cannot imagine what calamities could have occured if an Earl Warren, William O. Douglas, Harry Blackmun, William Brennan, or Thurgood Marshall was a victim of a coordinated attempt to be unseated, only to be replaced by a judge who cares not about what the Constitution says, but about what they would prefer to be our nation's policy. I daresay the legacy of Constitutional liberty, crafted by dedicated jurists, would be far less rich when the time came to pass it on to our children.

In short, for liberty to continue, the status quo must be preserved.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 09:10:00 AM »

If a decision is really bad, we do have an appellate system. You can go through several courts before a case is decided once and for all. I would simply suggest acceptance of Supreme Court decisions, or a reconsideration of what you think is judicial activism.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies