Scottish Conservatives to be granted 'independence' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:28:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Conservatives to be granted 'independence' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Conservatives to be granted 'independence'  (Read 2770 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

« on: April 04, 2007, 12:17:24 PM »

According to the Spectator, the Scottish Conservatives are to be granted complete independence from the UK rump.

''[David Cameron's] officials have been secretly drawing up the outline of a velvet divorce with the Scottish Conservatives, which would give the Scots a new name and make the Conservatives into a party exclusively devoted to England & Wales. It would, in effect, mean retreat from Scotland."

Expect a CDU/CSU common platform come the general election, but a distinct identy and autonomy. I would support the idea, though I do have concerns over what direction the party would take. However ever since the 'marrige' in the 60's the party has been in terminal decline so while independence may not spearhead a revival it is promising development.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 04:14:37 PM »

Care to do a redistricting project with Welsh-size seats everywhere?

I tried to do the opposite. I nearly cried Smiley

I can also imagine the chorus of Welsh opposition to having their valley teamed up with another or having a huge rural seat in the middle that pays no attention to anyone. Still it can't be worse than the f-ing Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweedale seat (and I don't care that the Tories hold it!) amongst others that the Scots were saddled with.

As for creating a map of the UK with constituencies of a Welsh size; that would be task in itself and would fall victrim to urban gerrymandering.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies