Tulsa World: Inhofe on '08 campaign: Dems are gunning for me
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:02:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Tulsa World: Inhofe on '08 campaign: Dems are gunning for me
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Inhofe have a serious, credible opponent in 2008 with a chance of beating him?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Tulsa World: Inhofe on '08 campaign: Dems are gunning for me  (Read 6841 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2007, 10:57:30 AM »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070405_1_A1_hRece35833

Recent fundraising letters have targeted the Oklahoma Republican and his views on global warming.

WASHINGTON -- U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe thinks he is the next Richard Pombo.

Coming from the veteran Oklahoma Republican lawmaker, that description might surprise some.

After all, Pombo was the seven-term Republican congressman from a safe GOP district in California who appeared to be cruising toward re-election last year until he was swept up in the Democratic wave that cost his party control of Congress.

Pombo, who had been chairman of a House panel on natural resources, ended up losing to the same opponent he easily defeated two years earlier.

Inhofe says the same people who took out Pombo are now gunning for him.

He based that prediction at least partly on recent fundraising letters the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee sent out using Inhofe as one of the major reasons donors should pony up for the cause.

"One seat. That's all it would take to flip Senate control back to the GOP in 2008," one letter states.

"And once again, the Oklahoma Republican Senator James Inhofe -- who has called global warming the 'greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people' -- would assume the chairmanship of the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works."

The letter also refers to Al Gore's recent appearances on Capitol Hill, accusing Inhofe of berating the former vice president.

"I am not at all surprised," Inhofe said when asked about the letters.

"I'm the Richard Pombo of the next election. I understand that."

Although Pombo's opponent reportedly campaigned against the incumbent's record on the environment, Inhofe pointed out that other issues motivated voters to oust Pombo.

Press reports indicate Democrats were able to nationalize Pombo's campaign by focusing on scandals that had plagued the Republican-led Congress and his support for President Bush's policies on the Iraq war.

"They went after him and successfully defeated him," Inhofe said.

"We are right now starting to see just how much money did come into that little congressional district."

Although Inhofe also has been a stalwart defender of Bush's approach to the Iraq war and is viewed as a leading GOP voice on global warming and other environmental issues, there are glaring differences between the senator and Pombo.

The big one would seem to be the lack of an opponent.

Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry has said no to national Democrats hoping to recruit him for the race.

U.S. Rep. Dan Boren is also taking a pass on the 2008 Senate race.

Inhofe concedes he for now is not facing the kind of marquee candidate who automatically could generate a national buzz.

"But my gosh," he said, "it is 18, 19, 20 months yet."

Inhofe clearly does not mind turning the tables on the Democrats' fundraising efforts.

"I've been telling people that we are raising money, but it is a lot slower," he said, insisting that he will be up against "unlimited funds" fueled by the "doom and gloom" picture painted by Democrats.

Inhofe finally conceded the DSCC just might be "more concerned about using me to raise money for other races than actually defeating me."

DSCC spokesman Matthew Miller agreed the money generated by the recent fundraising letters could end up being spent in another state and conceded no major opponent has announced against Inhofe.

"But it is early in the cycle," Miller said.

As to Inhofe's assertions that Democrats will use the "Pombo model" against him, Miller pointed to the senator's own statements.

"We don't have to do anything to portray Jim Inhofe as an extremist," he said.

"His own statements do the job for us."
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:11:03 PM »

If the Dems do knock him off in 08, He is no big loss in my opinion.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 12:17:09 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2007, 12:26:25 PM by TheresNoMoney »

Now that Santorum is gone,  Inhofe is the nuttiest Senator in Washington. His fellow Senator Tom Coburn is very right-wing, but I respect him because he's consistent and principled. Inhofe is the ultimate in corporate, bigoted right-wing hacks.

I doubt that we can beat him in a state like Oklahoma, but I hope we put forth a good effort.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 12:42:12 PM »

Matthew Miller speaks truth. "We don't have to do anything to portray Jim Inhofe as an extremist. His own statements do the job for us."
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »

Eh, wouldn't effect me if he got knocked off.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »

Now that Santorum is gone,  Inhofe is the nuttiest Senator in Washington. His fellow Senator Tom Coburn is very right-wing, but I respect him because he's consistent and principled. Inhofe is the ultimate in corporate, bigoted right-wing hacks.

I doubt that we can beat him in a state like Oklahoma, but I hope we put forth a good effort.

um.  inhofe is nuttier than santorum.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 03:14:05 PM »

The fact that he feels threatened by the Democrats in a state like Oklahoma makes him all the more nuttier.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 03:39:23 PM »

Inhofe is easily my least favorite senator. I hope the Dems can find someone to knock off his piece of trash in '08.

But of course, he's safe. He'll get at least 55% of the vote.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 03:43:53 PM »

The fact that he feels threatened by the Democrats in a state like Oklahoma makes him all the more nuttier.

Yes.  Sorry, but an incumbent Republican in Oklahoma can really only blame himself.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 03:49:50 PM »

CA-11 is quite a different beast than Oklahoma and Inhofe is probably just trying to stir things and maybe boost fundraising.  Or maybe he's just trying to show paranoid behavior; wouldn't be the first time.  Tongue

It would take a pretty credible challenger to beat him and I haven't seen an interest in Gov. Henry or the younger Boren in testing out Inhofe.

The secret to Inhofe's success is strong performance in Tulsa, where he was mayor.  A good Dem would have to beat up against those margins somewhat and perform well in the rural east to have give himself a shot.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 04:41:25 PM »

Maybe Inhofe will just retire next year, Is it a possibility?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 02:13:34 AM »

highly doubtful
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 05:39:59 AM »

highly doubtful

If the national climate against Republicans goes into 2008, and with a strong Democratic canidate I could see Inhofe being picked off by the Democrats.   
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 12:56:27 PM »

Can you people really not see a fundraising ploy when you see one?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 01:21:24 PM »

The key lines are that Boren and Henry are taking a pass.  Move on please unless a Macaca incident happens here, which isn't unlikely.  Until insulting a race would probably be a plus in Oklahoma.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 03:32:35 AM »

My astrologer totally said Inhofe is too hott to loose.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 11:52:48 AM »

Move on please unless a Macaca incident happens here, which isn't unlikely.  Until insulting a race would probably be a plus in Oklahoma.

You don't know what you're talking about.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 05:41:40 PM »

Inhofe is easily beatable.  Oklahoma may be very Republican, but we are also very Democratic.  Inhofe is VERY unpopular in Oklahoma, and there is a possibility, albeit slight, that he might even get knocked off in the primary and not even make it to the general election.  Think about it.  Eastern Oklahoma, a very Democratic region, is growing.  Western Oklahoma, a fairly Republican area, is holding steady.  Oklahoma City is rapidly growing and is moving left of the far right.

I predict a Democratic pickup in 2008 in Oklahoma and another one in 2010.

DNC Chairman Howard Dean and DSCC Chairman Chuck Schumer hopefully know that they can strike rare gold in Oklahoma if they just try.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 06:23:08 PM »

Say, how would Brad Carson do if he ran again?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 07:08:39 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2007, 12:30:06 PM by Kevin »

Say, how would Brad Carson do if he ran again?

He didn't do so well last time but that was in a Republican leaning year, He could win if he really tries I guess.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 09:17:51 PM »

Inhofe is easily beatable.  Oklahoma may be very Republican, but we are also very Democratic.  Inhofe is VERY unpopular in Oklahoma, and there is a possibility, albeit slight, that he might even get knocked off in the primary and not even make it to the general election.  Think about it.  Eastern Oklahoma, a very Democratic region, is growing.  Western Oklahoma, a fairly Republican area, is holding steady.  Oklahoma City is rapidly growing and is moving left of the far right.

I predict a Democratic pickup in 2008 in Oklahoma and another one in 2010.

DNC Chairman Howard Dean and DSCC Chairman Chuck Schumer hopefully know that they can strike rare gold in Oklahoma if they just try.

The chief problem is getting a candidate. As neither Boren nor Henry seems remotely interested, the Democrats will probably have to run a fairly unknown candidate. That will make it unfortunately easy for Inhofe's campaign to paint the Democratic candidate as extremely liberal as was done to Tester in Montana (and it nearly saved Burns, who should have lost reelection badly even if he were from Utah).

Can the Democrats overcome that? I'm not sure.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 11:30:24 AM »

Frank Keating pulled this state to the right and it has been voting in such a way ever since then.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 02:32:01 PM »

http://bradhenryforsenate.blogspot.com/ - A draft Henry movement is underway. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies