In which of the following instances would an abortion be morally justified?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:20:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  In which of the following instances would an abortion be morally justified?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In which of the following instances would an abortion be morally justified, if the mother elected to have one?
Scenario 1

Scenario 2

Scenario 3

Scenario 4

None of these

Abortion is never morally justified

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: In which of the following instances would an abortion be morally justified?  (Read 1604 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2007, 05:09:37 AM »

Scenario 1: Ectopic Pregnancy
The product of conception is implanted in any tissue other than the uterine wall, normally the Fallopian tube.  About 1% of all pregnancies are ectopic; 2% of these, instead of occurring in the Fallopian tube, occur in the cervix, ovary, or are intraabdominal.  Only in the case of an intraabdominal ectopic pregnancy may the fetus be at all salvagable, and this is only in extremely rare circumstances.  Normally, termination will have needed to have taken place before the fetus is viable to prevent hemorrhage.  The treatment for ectopic pregnancy is termination; otherwise, both the mother and fetus will die.

Scenario 2: Anencephaly
The fetus develops without a forebrain.  Of the small percentage of anencephalic fetuses which are not aborted or die during childbirth, they will usually be born deaf, blind, unconscious, and unable to feel pain.  The lack of a functioning cerebrum permanently rules out the possibility of ever gaining consciousness.  Infants with anencephaly typically do not live to be more than about two hours old.
For more information, see Wikipedia.

Scenario 3: Rape
The pregnancy occurs as a result of the woman being raped by someone who did not use protection.  [assume the abortion takes place in the first trimester]

Scenario 4: Unexpected Pregnancy
The couple used protection successfully for a period of several years, but unexpectedly encountered condom failure.  [assume the abortion takes place in the first trimester]
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:58:35 AM »

Absolutley none and 4 is the most disgraceful
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 08:08:57 AM »

1 because the mother's life is in danger and 3 because the women didn't choose to have sex in the first place.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 09:46:03 AM »

Anytime.  There is no need for 'moral justification'.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 10:05:05 AM »

While obviously understandable (not to mention: should be legal) in scenarios three and four, "justified" is a wee bit thick. Voted only options one and two.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 10:44:25 AM »

Options 1, 2, and 3.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 11:39:02 AM »

I could see arguments for the first two, though the last two are disgusting reasons for an abortion.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 12:08:06 PM »

Firstly, I don't look at abortion from a "morality" angle. I can say that options one and two are totally justified cases... Third is a bit of a stretch if you're looking for a "moral" reason, and four is not really justified at all from a moral angle.

Options 1-3.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 01:49:42 PM »

Pretty much. This does not mean that abortion should be illegal in the cases of unexpected preganancy, just that it wouldn't be moral, whatever that means.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 02:05:04 PM »

Pretty much. This does not mean that abortion should be illegal in the cases of unexpected preganancy, just that it wouldn't be moral, whatever that means.

What this question is asking isn't about the law itself, but rather whether or not we as individuals who generally support Roe V Wade whether we're just supporting the law, or whether we think abortion is morally justified in most/all cases.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 02:49:44 PM »

Justified in Option 1... "understandable" in Option 3.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »

I want to talk about Option 1 for a while, because it is one that is very near and dear to my heart.  My mother was given a very little chance of living when she was a pregant with me and still suffers some side effects of that pregnancy.  Could she have aborted me?  Of course she could have, but she choose to take the risk and give me life.  She told the doctors to save me and not worry what happened to her.  This is mostly the reason I am pro-life because if I had a different mother I probably would not be here today.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 03:35:11 PM »

I want to talk about Option 1 for a while, because it is one that is very near and dear to my heart.  My mother was given a very little chance of living when she was a pregant with me and still suffers some side effects of that pregnancy.  Could she have aborted me?  Of course she could have, but she choose to take the risk and give me life.  She told the doctors to save me and not worry what happened to her.  This is mostly the reason I am pro-life because if I had a different mother I probably would not be here today.

But in the case of option 1, in like at least 99% of cases, the fetus is positioned such that it ruptures the internal organ it's implanted in as it grows, causes massive internal hemorrhaging, and results in the death of both of them.

You think it'd be better to simply let all of the women die who were not as amazingly fortunate as your mother?
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 03:58:14 PM »

I would tend to agree with these.  1 is obvious in justification, with 2, no woman should be forced to bear a child because of rape, with 3, I don't see how you can call such an existence a life in the first place, and regardless it would be a burden upon society and thus the ends justify the means.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 04:07:58 PM »

But in the case of option 1, in like at least 99% of cases, the fetus is positioned such that it ruptures the internal organ it's implanted in as it grows, causes massive internal hemorrhaging, and results in the death of both of them.

You think it'd be better to simply let all of the women die who were not as amazingly fortunate as your mother?
I doubt she was *amazingly* fortunate, as I doubt his case is directly equivalent to option one.
Very much fortunate, obviously. My grandmother was much the same way with my youngest uncle btw. (Yeah well, and nineteen years later she was dead anyways. Still, I'm happy to have my uncle.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 06:46:24 PM »

I don't see how you can call such an existence a life in the first place, and regardless it would be a burden upon society and thus the ends justify the means.

But who are you to judge?
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 02:05:40 AM »

I would say 2 and 3 at this point only because I know really nothing about 1 and 2.  4 is kinda disgusting-for a human life to be cut on a whim...
3, though not a great thing, is understandable; in this case, the rapist should be one who pays for the abortion.
Reignman

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.65

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 02:44:04 AM »

1-3. I don't have huge problems with 4, but I don't know about "morally justified."
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 05:05:42 AM »

I would say 2 and 3 at this point only because I know really nothing about 1 and 2.

#1 basically goes like this:

When an egg is fertilized, a normal pregancy will begin with the egg implanting itself in the woman's uterus, which has enough space to house a full-sized baby.  An ectopic pregnancy is where the egg implants itself elsewhere, usually in the fallopian tubes.  The fallopian tubes are only wide enough to allow a single egg through.  If the egg grows normally within the fallopian tubes, the woman will be subjected to extreme and excruciating pain and eventually death as the embryo expands and causes the fallopian tube to tear and rupture.  The only way to avert this is to remove the embryo.

That's an ectopic pregnancy in a nutshell.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 05:49:13 AM »

One to four. First trimester abortions for any of these reasons is as immoral as my normal morning rountines.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 06:14:55 AM »

First trimester abortions for any of these reasons is as immoral as my normal morning rountines.

Well, the Catholic Church says that masturbation is a sin. Smiley
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 03:14:45 PM »

Only scenario 1 - b/c it is not a viable life.  It will NEVER live - 100% impossible - all others - it is WRONG.  If there was ever a case where the child COULD live - than abortion would be wrong and immoral.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies