Alternate 1968 and On
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:27:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Alternate 1968 and On
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Alternate 1968 and On  (Read 19507 times)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2007, 10:11:25 AM »

The Republican Nomination

By January of 1980, Ford's approval rating is still around 70%, and he easily receives 65% against a generic Democratic nominee.  However, conservatives are still not happy with him.

Yet, Ford still has time to piss off the conservative wing.

On January 14th, Representative Phil Crane, the leader of the conservative wing of the Republicans in the House, announces his candidacy for President.  The first polling shows Crane at about 15% nationwide, with Ford at 70%.

On January 16th, the Republicans barely get through a bill that puts the US on the Gold Standard.  Here is the vote:
Senate:

Republicans:
For: 44
Against: 27

Democrats:
For: 9
Against: 20

Overall:
For: 53
Against: 47

House:

Republicans:
For: 204
Against: 100

Democrats:
For: 52
Against: 82

Overall:
For: 256
Against: 179

Ford is expected to sign the bill, but unexpectedly vetoes it, saying that "President Kennedy was right to take us off the Gold Standard.  Our economy has prospered because of this."

Crane's number immediately go up to 25% nationwide.

During a press on January 18th, President Ford is asked for his opinion on abortion.  Ford, who has so far been silent on abortion, says he believes that the court was correct in its decision of Roe v. Wade.

January 21, 1980

The Iowa caucus results are in.  Two weeks ago, Ford was expected to get o ver 70% of the vote, but Crane nearly pulls an upset:

Ford: 45%
Crane: 43%
Others: 12%

Puerto Rico on February 17th is an easy Ford win:

Ford: 68%
Crane: 30%
Others: 2%

New Hampshire on February 26th is a huge upset for Ford.  Crane actually wins the primary:

Crane: 50%
Ford: 44%
Others: 6%

Luckily on March 4th Ford rebounds in Vermont and Massachusetts:

Vermont:
Ford: 56%
Crane: 39%
Others: 5%

Massachusetts:
Ford: 64%
Crane: 34%

However, on March 8th, Crane wins South Carolina by a large margin:

Crane: 58%
Ford: 40%
Others: 3%

The rest of the primaries are back and forth between the two candidates.  Here is a final map of the primaries:

Ford: 28 states
Crane: 23 states

Next up: The Republican Convention
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »

The Republican Convention

Ford is expected to win on the first round of the Republican convention, but Crane hopes to release the delegates to let more conservative delegates tied to Ford vote for Crane.

On the first ballot, Crane is successful in getting some establishment delegates, preventing a first ballot victory:

Ford: 487
Crane: 454
Others: 59

However, Rockefeller, who still controls much of the liberal wing of the party (and actually got 25 votes on the first ballot even though he wasn't nominated) finally comes out for Ford.  This endorsement of Ford puts gives him the nomination on the second ballot:
Ford: 524
Crane: 463
Others: 13

When asked to take the stage to call for a unanimous nomination for Ford, Crane refuses to do so and leaves the convention hall.

For the VP nomination, Ford is expected to choose a conservative to heal wounds in the party.  However, a behind the scenes deal with Rockefeller means that Ford must put a liberal up for the VP spot.  He chooses New York Senator and former NYC mayor John Lindsay, who is nominated by acclamation on the first ballot (as most Crane delegates have left the convention hall).

The first Gallup poll after the Republican convention shows the following:
Ford/Lindsay: 42%
Nunn/James: 31%
Other/Undecided: 27%

A second poll, with four candidates is included:
Ford/Lindsay: 38%
Nunn/James: 28%
Crane/?: 14%
McCarthy/?: 11%
Other/Undecided: 9%

Crane and McCarthy contemplate getting into the race, but at this time decide against it.

During the Labor Day weekend, a American citizens are taken hostage by the new government of the Ayatollah in Iran at the American embassy.  A rally around the flag idea gives Ford a huge boost:
Ford/Lindsay: 64%
Nunn/James: 25%
Other/Undecided: 11%

Ford may just be able to win in the landslide he desires.

Hawks call on Ford to immediately send in military operation to rescue the hostages.  However, Ford refuses, preferring to instead negotiate with the Iranian government.  This move is extremely unpopular with conservatives, who begin to shift their support to Nunn.  By the beginning of October, Nunn has regained much support:
Ford/Lindsay: 59%
Nunn/James: 36%
Other/Undecided: 5%

On October 3rd, Nunn announces that if he were President he would immediately send a military operation into  Iran to rescue the hostages.  Coupled with the execution of one of the hostages on Iranian television the next day, Nunn receives even more conservative support.  On October 5th, Crane announces his endorsement for Nunn believing that he is the "only candidate who has the will to protect American citizens around the world."

By October 15th, the polls look like this:
Ford/Lindsay: 55%
Nunn/James: 41%
Other/Undecided: 2%

Nunn is slowly gaining support, although many doubt whether he can inch up fast enough to take the election.

While many conservatives are now switching their support to Nunn, liberals are going over to Ford.  Ford, who is now emphasizing his liberal positions on social issues, is winning liberal, dovish support over the hawkish Nunn.  Nunn is also now showing his conservative credentials on abortion on other social issues, though he remains to the left of center on economic issues.

The last poll before the election shows the folowing:
Ford/Lindsay: 50%
Nunn/James: 45%

Some predict that Nunn can pull an upset and win.

As election results come in, the results are extremely odd.  The Northeast is strong for Ford, with Massachusetts again going Republican (Ford wins Massachusetts by a larger margin than he wins the nationwide popular vote).   The South is by far Nunn's best region, while the Midwest leans to Ford.  Ford does incredibly well in the Mountain West, running as the most libertarian candidate.  Ford is just able to hold onto victory in the popular vote, though he has a wide margin in the electoral college:

Ford/Lindsay: 45,714,853 votes (52.84%), 406 electoral votes
Nunn/James: 40,220,370 votes (46.59%), 132 electoral votes
Others: 485,355 votes (0.56%), 0 electoral votes
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2007, 11:51:10 AM »

Ford's success actually extends downballot, as Republicans still vote for their conservative reps and Senators.  Republicans actually make gains in the House and Senate, a surprise to most:

House:
Republicans: 304 (+3)
Democrats: 131 (-3)

Senate:
Senate:
Republicans: 72 (+1)
Democrats: 28 (-1)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2007, 12:05:15 PM »

Over two years of negotiations have taken place, and the American hostages in Iran still are not free.  Ford is still refusing to take military action.  By October of 1982, Ford's approval has sunk to a lowly 19%, the lowest approval rating on record for a President.  Ford is reluctant to take action.  He also knows that he is barred from running for reelection.  The economy, with near record high inflation, has spun out of control.  Republicans talk of kicking him out of their party.  Even VP Lindsay ahs begun to distance himself from the President.  In the House and Senate, Republicans are refusing to work with the President on anything.  Generic ballot polls taken just before the 82 midterms show the Democrats leading 57-43.

The day before the midterm elections, the Iranian students behead three more hostages on Iranian television, the first beheading since October of 1980.  The Democrats campaign on a strong national security and promise to force the President's hand to intervene in Iran.

On election day 1982, the Democrats produce one of the largest reverals in  American history (perhaps the largest since 1890 or whenever that huge switch was).  They take back both Houses of Congress:

House (after election):
Democrats: 227 (+96)
Republicans: 201 (-103)
Independent Republicans: 7 (+7)

House (after switches):
Democrats: 254 (+123)
Republicans: 174 (-130)
Independent Republicans: 7 (+7)

Seven Republicans refuse to share a party with Ford and run as "Independent Republicans" though they continue to caucus with the Republicans.  27 Republicans switch to the Democrats after they take the House.

With caucusing:
Democrats: 254 (+123)
Republicans: 181 (-123)

Democrats are only able to take back Senate for two reasons:
1. Of the 33 seats up, 26 are controlled by Republicans.
2. A number of Republicans, realizing how unpopular their party is decide to swtich to the Democratic Party (6 of them).

Senate (after election):
Republicans: 54 (-18)
Democrats: 46 (+18)

Senate (after switches):
Democrats: 52 (+24)
Republicans: 48 (-24)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 10:43:12 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2007, 01:54:55 PM by True Democrat »

Here's a list of Presidents and VPs since the beginning of the timeline:

Presidents:

Lyndon Johnson (D): November 22, 1963 - January 20, 1969
     defeated Goldwater (R) in 1964
Edward Kennedy (D): January 20, 1969 - January 20, 1977
     defeated Rockefeller (R) and Wallace (AI) in 1968
     defeated Howard Baker (R) in 1972
George H.W. Bush (R): January 20, 1977 - October 4, 1978
     defeated Pryor (D) in 1976
     assassinated on October 4, 1978
Robert Dole (R): October 4, 1978 - October 14, 1978
     assassinated on October 14, 1978
Gerald Ford (R): October 14, 1978 - January 20, 1985
     defeated Nunn (D) in 1980
Paul Tsongas (D): January 20, 1985 - ?
     defeated Stevens (R) in 1984

Vice Presidents:

Vacant: Novebmer 22, 1963 - January 20, 1969
Hubert H. Humphrey (D): January 20, 1965 - January 20, 1969
     defeated Miller (R) in 1964
George McGovern (D): January 20, 1969 - October 11, 1974
     defeated Evans (R) and LeMay (AI) in 1968
     defeated Percy (R) in 1972
     resigned on October 11, 1974
Vacant: October 11, 1974 - January 30, 1975
David Pryor (D): January 30, 1975 - January 20, 1977
Bob Dole (R): January 20, 1977 - October 4, 1978
     defeated Carter (D) in 1976
     resigned on October 4, 1978 to become President
Vacant: October 4, 1978 - November 15, 1978
Jacob Javits (R): November 15, 1978 - January 20, 1981
John Lindsay (R): January 20, 1981 - January 20, 1985
     defeated James (D) in 1980
Al Gore (D): January 20, 1985 - ?
     defeated Danforth (R) in 1984
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 10:43:45 PM »

As a side note: Ford appointed the noncontroversial the ailing Jacob Javits to the VP spot in 1978 (with nearly unanimous approval from Congress) as a caretaker for the office until the next election.
bbt
Rookie
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2007, 01:59:23 PM »

earlier I had posted what a great job on this timeline you've done True Democrat............but its gone downhill badly.  I do appreciate your efforts, but this timeline got away from you around '76.  Just not in the slightest believeable past that
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2007, 04:03:49 PM »

earlier I had posted what a great job on this timeline you've done True Democrat............but its gone downhill badly.  I do appreciate your efforts, but this timeline got away from you around '76.  Just not in the slightest believeable past that

Would you mind telling me what's not believable?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2007, 04:48:12 PM »

It's still quite good; keep it up.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2007, 07:02:18 PM »

Any effects on international geopolitics or domestic policy?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2007, 07:10:34 PM »

Any effects on international geopolitics or domestic policy?

Well, the US is refusing to get involved in Iran, which is strenghening extremism in the Middle East.  This also makes the USSR a little stronger than in real life.  If the US seemed weak under Carter, it's even more so under Ford, as the hostages have been there for 2 years now and he's done nothing.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 12:09:48 PM »

Quite interesting still.
bbt
Rookie
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 02:21:17 PM »

Well I find the Dole assasination immediately on the heels ( within two weeks) of Bush's assasination a stretch -- but I'd be willing to let that pass on artistic license.  What is really hard to swallow is to even consider that Bush had anywhere near the gravitas to run for President in '76, far much less, Crane or Anderson in '76 being as both were very limited at that time in the House of Reps, unlike in '80.  I just feel its far more likely that a more established Republican like Nixon or Reagan would just stand by and watch only Anderson, Bush and Crane run in '76.

You certainly do write better than I ever could and the first part of the story was the most awesome I've seen on Alt History boards.  I've been visiting at least 4 different AH forums for a while now.  I was just dissappointed in the ultra fantasy turn thats all
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007, 03:18:32 PM »

Well I find the Dole assasination immediately on the heels ( within two weeks) of Bush's assasination a stretch -- but I'd be willing to let that pass on artistic license.  What is really hard to swallow is to even consider that Bush had anywhere near the gravitas to run for President in '76, far much less, Crane or Anderson in '76 being as both were very limited at that time in the House of Reps, unlike in '80.  I just feel its far more likely that a more established Republican like Nixon or Reagan would just stand by and watch only Anderson, Bush and Crane run in '76.

You certainly do write better than I ever could and the first part of the story was the most awesome I've seen on Alt History boards.  I've been visiting at least 4 different AH forums for a while now.  I was just dissappointed in the ultra fantasy turn thats all

It's probably due to the fact that I'm doing a research paper on the 1968 election, so I know a lot more about it.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »

In the time since the 1982 midterms, President Ford has finally been forced to intervene in Iran.  The Democratic congress threatened a vote of no confidence in the President (something that had never been done before) if Ford didn't intervene (by this time his approval was a mere 16%).  Ford sent a secret CIA mission to rescue the hostages at the American embassy.  Although the mission was ulitmately successful, two American servicemen was killed by Iranians, for which Ford heightened US embargos on Iran.

By his 1984 State of the Union, Ford's approval is back up to 37%, with the Democratic Congress having an approval of 46% (very high for Congress).

As the 1984 election approaches, the Democrats are ready to nominate a candidate who can finally win after eight years of losses.  The Republicans also  wish to avoid the liberal-conservative divide that has hurt their party in the past.

By the time of the Iowa caucus, the delcared candidate for the Democrats are Senator Walter Mondale of Minnesota, Representative Dick Gephardt of Missouri, Representative Paul Simon of Illinois, and Senator Paul Tsongas of Massachusetts.  All of these candidates are relatively inexperienced, but with so few Democrats on the national stage with Republicans overhwhelmingly controlling Congress for so long, these are seen as some of the best candidates.

On February 20th in Iowa, Simon, Gephardt, and Mondale (all from neighboring states) do best, with Tsongas in a distant fourth:
Gephardt: 27%
Mondale: 24%
Simon: 23%
Tsongas: 15%
Others/Uncommitted: 11%

However on February 28th, Tsongas rebounds by winning his neighboring state of New Hampshire:
Tsongas: 31%
Simon: 23%
Gephardt: 21%
Mondale: 20%

Vermont on March 6th is another win for Tsongas:
Tsongas: 30%
Simon: 27%
Mondale: 19%
Gephardt: 15%
Others: 9%
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2007, 09:58:14 PM »

On March 13th, Super Tuesday occurs, with mixed results, although Tsongas does fairly well:

Alabama:
Gephardt: 45%
Tsongas: 32%
Mondale: 11%
Simon: 9%

Florida:
Tsongas: 35%
Gephardt: 33%
Simon: 18%
Mondale: 12%

Georgia:
Gephardt: 53%
Tsongas: 22%
Simon: 15%
Mondale: 7%

Massachusetts:
Tsongas: 66%
Simon: 14%
Gephardt: 12%
Mondale: 6%

Rhode Island:
Tsongas: 58%
Gephardt: 15%
Mondale: 8%
Others: 1%

Nevada:
Gephardt: 35%
Tsongas: 29%
Mondale: 14%
Others: 4%

Oklahoma:
Gephardt: 55%
Tsongas: 30%
Mondale: 8%
Simon: 6%

Washington:
Simon: 31%
Tsongas: 29%
Gephardt: 26%
Mondale: 9%

Mondale, taking fourth in nearly every primary, decides to drop out of the race, making no endorsement at this time.

Puerto Rico on March 18th is a nearly uncontested win for Tsongas:
Tsongas: 78%
Simon: 15%
Gephardt (Write-in): 6%

Simon takes his home state's primary on March 20th:
Simon: 48%
Tsongas: 27%
Gephardt: 23%

Connecticut is held on March 27th.  Simon is still finding it hard to break through in the liberal areas that should be voting for him:
Tsongas: 45%
Simon: 35%
Gephardt: 19%

The big primary of New York held on April 3rd essentially seals up the race for Tsongas:
Tsongas: 41%
Gephardt: 28%
Simon: 28%

Gephardt comes back and wins Pennsylvania on April 10th, but most believe it is too late:
Gephardt: 42%
Tsongas: 38%

Simon drops out after Pennsylvania and endorses Tsongas.  After this endorsement, Mondale too makes an endorsement of Tsongas.

May 1st is DC and TN:

DC:
Tsongas: 65%
Gephardt: 28%
Others: 7%

TN:
Gephardt: 53%
Tsongas: 39%
Others: 8%

On May 8th, four primaries are held, with Gephardt saying he must win at least two to stay in the race:

Maryland:
Tsongas: 59%
Gephardt: 38%

Ohio:
Tsongas: 56%
Gephardt: 40%

Indiana:
Tsongas: 49%
Gephardt: 48%

North Carolina:
Gephardt: 56%
Tsongas: 43%

Gephardt essentially drops out and stop campaigning, but keeps his name on the ballots, enabling him to win a couple of extra primaries.

Here is a final map of the primaries/caucuses/state conventions:

Tsongas: 35 states
Gephardt: 14 states
Simon: 2 states

At the Democratic convention, Tsongas wins on the first ballot:
Tsongas: 742
Gephardt: 115
Simon: 98
Mondale: 26
Others: 19

Most expect Tsongas to choose an elder statesmen for VP, as Tsongas is only 43 years old.  However, Tsongas decides to instead to choose the extremely young Representative Al Gore of Tennesse, who is only 36 years old.  Gore is seen as a moderate, Southerner who is a bit inexperienced, but will balance the ticket well.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2007, 10:10:52 AM »

Gporter - Be patient, TD will get to them. He does a great job at his work.

TD - I take it Tsongas doesn't fall ill to cancer, correct? Keep in mind that was what caused him not to run for reelection in '84.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2007, 10:49:58 AM »

Gporter - Be patient, TD will get to them. He does a great job at his work.

TD - I take it Tsongas doesn't fall ill to cancer, correct? Keep in mind that was what caused him not to run for reelection in '84.

No cancer, yet. . .
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2007, 11:32:58 AM »

The Republican Nomination

Hoping to avoid the last couple of nominations which pitted liberals against conservatives, the center and right of the Republican party decide to unite behind a candidate in order to avoid any large fight.

On December 6, 1983, Vice President John Lindsay announces his candidacy for the Republican nomination.  Lindsay is the candidate of the dying liberal wing of the party.  Also, with Lindsay carrying the baggage of the Ford presidency, he is unlikely to win the nomination or the general election.  Lindsay has attempted to position himself away from Ford, but with Ford's approval still stuck at 35% (even Republicans only have a 43% approval), Lindsay is unlikely to not appear as Ford's candidate.

The Republicans and conservatives decide to put up conservative Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska.  Stevens, who is 61 and was first elected in 1968, is conservative, but not too conservative for the moderate wing of the party.

In the Iowa caucuses on Feburary 20th, he scores a huge win against Lindsay:
Stevens: 58%
Lindsay: 26%
Others: 16%

Lindsay does slightly better in New Hampshire on Feburary 28th, but he still loses:
Stevens: 53%
Lindsay: 38%
Others: 9%

On March 6th, Lindsay actually manages to win Vermont, just barely:
Lindsay: 46%
Stevens: 43%
Others: 11%

However, on Super Tuesday, Stevens wins nearly every primary:

Florida:
Stevens: 57%
Lindsay: 35%
Others: 8%

Georgia:
Stevens: 65%
Lindsay: 28%

Massachusetts:
Lindsay: 62%
Stevens: 33%

Rhode Island:
Lindsay: 60%
Stevens: 33%

Nevada:
Stevens: 58%
Lindsay: 39%

Oklahoma:
Stevens: 71%
Lindsay: 25%

Washington:
Stevens: 50%
Lindsay: 45%

Illinois on March 20th is a must win for Lindsay to stay in the race, but Stevens takes it by a fairly solid margin:
Stevens: 56%
Lindsay: 41%

Lindsay stops campaigning, but keeps his name on the ballot.  This allows him to win a few more primaries (like New York) to give him some leverage at the convention.

A final map for the Republicans:

Stevens: 45 states
Lindsay: 6 states
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2007, 06:36:46 PM »

I am really enjoying this Alternative History timeline. Keep up the good work True Democrat. If Tsongas is elected in 1984 over Stevens, will his cancer catch up with him during his presidency?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2007, 07:20:43 AM »

I am really enjoying this Alternative History timeline. Keep up the good work True Democrat. If Tsongas is elected in 1984 over Stevens, will his cancer catch up with him during his presidency?

Wait and find out. Smiley
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2007, 07:32:55 AM »

At the Republican convention, Stevens wins on the first ballot:
Stevens: 881
Lindsay: 107
Others: 12

Stevens first offers Lindsay to serve another term as Vice President.  Lindsay at first says yes, but sensing that Stevens only asked out of courtesy (think JFK and LBJ), Lindsay later retracts his acceptance.

Stevens then goes to the well-liked Senator John Danforth of Missouri to be VP.  Danforth accepts and is nominated by acclamation.

The ages of the candidates, with the exception of Stevens, are all very young:
Stevens: 61
Danforth: 48
Tsongas: 43
Gore: 36

In the campaign, Tsongas and Gore campaign on Ford's refusal to intervene in Iran.  Also, they attempt to use the economy to their advantage, saying that Ford is refusing to work with Democrats to end high unemployment (something that is not entirely true).

Stevens on the other hand attempts to use his age and experience for him, saying Tsongas and Gore are much too young to be elected.  He runs a number of campaign ads asking if Americans want the 36 year old Gore a "heartbeat from the presidency."

By early October, the polls show the following:
Tsongas/Gore: 54%
Stevens/Danforth: 38%
Other/Undecided: 8%
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2007, 01:52:27 PM »

In the first presidential debate, Stevens performs extremely well, citing his 16 years in the Senate compared to Tsongas' 6 years.  Also, with this debate focusing on domestic policy, Stevens cites cooperation with Democrats in the House under the Kennedy administration as an effort to show bipartisanship.  Viewers say Stevens wins this debate 65-35.

In the VP debate, the two young canddiates square off.  On domestic issues, Gore shows his moderation, especially on social issues.  However, when it comes to foreign policy, Danforth uses his expertise to show Gore to be too young to be president.  Viewers give Danforth a 60-40 win.

By this time, the polls show the following:
Tsongas/Gore: 49%
Stevens/Danforth: 46%

Stevens has picked up a number of undecided voters and even some former Tsongas supporters.

In the final presidential debate, focusing on foreign policy, Stevens does very well by laying out a comprehensive plan to work with the USSR to diffuse tensions and reduce the number of nuclear arms.  Tsongas attempts to show Stevens to be weak on foreign policy, but to no avail.  Stevens wins this debate 70-30.

The final polls going into the election show this:
Stevens/Danforth: 54%
Tsongas/Gore: 43%
Other/Undecided: 3%

In the final Gallup poll, Stevens has pulled to eleven points ahead.  Some pollsters say the race is much closer than this, but most believe that Stevens will win at least 53% of the popular vote and over 300 electoral votes.

However, as returns come in on election, it appears that the race will be much closer than thought, due to a great GOTV operation by the Tsongas campaign.  While Stevens does fairly well out West (though not nearly matching Ford's last numbers), Tsoongas nearly all of New England.  The South is a disappointment for Tsongas, winning only Gore's home state of Tennessee.  However, it wll all be decided by the midwest.  By 1 AM, it has all come down to one state: Ohio.  Although Tsongas has a fairly well sized lead in the national popular vote, Ohio will make or break the election for him.  Finally, at 3 AM, Ohio is called for Tsongas.  The final vote tally in Ohio is a Tsongas win of a mere 0.547%, or 24,918 votes.  (Other close states include Missouri (Stevens by 5,123) and Vermont (Tsongas by 3,699).)  Tsongas wins the election in an amazing comeback:

Tsongas/Gore: 46,562,505 votes (50.26%), 275 electoral votes
Stevens/Danforth: 45,698,430 votes (49.32%), 263 electoral votes
Others: 392,298 votes (0.42%), 0 electoral votes

Congressional Elections:

House:
Democrats: 243 (-11)
Republicans: 192 (+11)

Senate:
Republicans: 51 (+5)
Democrats: 49 (-5)

Democrats, who had tremendous gains only two years earlier, lose a number of seats in both houses because of the loss of many freshmen Congressmen.  In the Senate, three former Republicans switch back to their old party (which is no longer under the control of Ford) to make the Republicans have a majority, though just barely.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2007, 05:23:01 PM »

Working with the Democratic House and Republican Senate, President Tsongas is able to get a nummber of bills through, including a fairly large works bill that restores some of the programs of Great Society struck down by the Republican Congress under Bush.  In exchange for this, Tsongas has agreed to pull all US troops from around the world, vastly reducing troop levels especially in the Middle East after the 1983 Beirut attacks.  Tsongas has also encouraged business growth in his typical pro-business fashion.

Everything in Tsongas' government is running smoothly by the 1986 midterms.  However, in August of 1986, Tsongas announces he has cancer.  Although not yet life threatening, Tsongas announces that he may have to invoke temporary presidential disability in the future if his treatment becomes more radical.  He asks the nation to "unite during this time of personal struggle.  As a great nation, we can still accomplish great things."  Tsongas is able to effectively stop the fears of the nation.  Voters are inspired by his speech in the Oval Office and know that a united Congress is needed.  Breaking traditional fashion, Democrats gain in the 1986 midterms:

House:
Democrats: 259 (+16)
Republicans: 176 (-16)

Senate:
Democrats: 53 (+4)
Republicans: 47 (-4)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09