Papal Conclave - 2007 Info Center
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:10:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Papal Conclave - 2007 Info Center
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: Papal Conclave - 2007 Info Center  (Read 48185 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2007, 12:15:51 AM »
« edited: May 26, 2007, 12:43:20 PM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

I've been reading up on a number of the popes as of late, and I came up with an idea for a new game.  The premise of the game is this... Pope Benedict XVI has died unexpectedly and the Cardinals have all been summoned back to Rome.  Each player who signs up to play, I think I will set the max at 40, will be a Cardinal... each will be assigned an age, a diocese (or other background, such as leader of Opus Dei, etc) and have to state their possition on various issues.  The objective will then be to elect a Pope from the group... I will have certain events occur during the conclave to influence events... I might also have to set up some additional "structure" rules which don't exist in the real election process.  I'll flesh out more of the details later.

Catholics and non-Catholics alike will be invited to play, and if there is a significant show of interest then I will have the issues possition questions up soon.

Basically, it will work kinda like Joe's old Primary game, except less labor intensive.

Okay... I had some inspiration while I was in the bath tub just now on how to lay this thing out.

In addition to what I have already stated...

Each player will be able to choose from a set of starting traits (much like Joe did with his Primary Game).  The choices will include, but not be limited to the following:

You will be able to choose whether or not you are a current member of the Roman Curia (the Vatican Beurocracy) or a pastoral bishop (in charge of a diocese somewhere around the world).  Members of the Curia will have an early advantage in the game (as I will eplain down the page), but pastoral bishops will have advantages if the conclave drags on.

You will be able to choose whether you come from a wealthy or poor country.  This will enhance your appeal to certain groups and factions in the game.

You will have the choice between being a European or a non-European.  This too will effect your appeal to certain factions in the game, depending (if you end up in Italy, you are almost sure to get the votes of Italian Cardinals right off the bat... at least for the first few rounds).  Note: This differs from the wealthy/poor country option in that you might end up an Eastern European Cardinal.

You can either be a scholar, or you can be a man of the people.

Finally, you will have the choice between older and expirienced, or younger and relatively inexpirienced.  Once again, both will come with advantages and disadvantages.

Aside from the players, there will be around twice as many cardinals who have votes in the game (for my sake, I'll try not to go nuts).  You will have to influence their in order to win.  Depending on your personal traits, some of them will be undying loyalists to your cause from the start, others will need to be convinced of your worthyness.  The first person to convince 2/3 of the conclave will be the winner.

Any player can choose to vote for any other player at any time during the game (and may switch their vote).  This is not a wasted vote, for the outcome of this game will directly effect the course of the next game (so if you are a young cardinal, you might want to support an older cardinal in order to advance your standing in the next game and hit the ground running.

Factions (as I mentioned before) are going to be a huge part of the game.  Each and every one of the made up cardinals will come with their own life story and own traits and each will be a member of at least one faction.  You can target each individually, or you can try to influence a Faction Leader who controls (at least partially) the votes of his faction.  Some of you might start out as Faction Leaders, though I will try to balance that out.

Factions themselves can be either geographicly (African), culturally (Latin America) or politically based and may also be organization inside and outside the official Church oversight (such as the Pius X Society, Jesuits or Opus Dei).

Hmmm... trying to think if there is anything else I want to mention.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 12:38:08 AM »

Any takers?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 01:50:28 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2007, 02:07:19 AM by Supersoulty »

Okay... I had some inspiration while I was in the bath tub just now on how to lay this thing out.

In addition to what I have already stated...

Each player will be able to choose from a set of starting traits (much like Joe did with his Primary Game).  The choices will include, but not be limited to the following:

You will be able to choose whether or not you are a current member of the Roman Curia (the Vatican Beurocracy) or a pastoral bishop (in charge of a diocese somewhere around the world).  Members of the Curia will have an early advantage in the game (as I will eplain down the page), but pastoral bishops will have advantages if the conclave drags on.

You will be able to choose whether you come from a wealthy or poor country.  This will enhance your appeal to certain groups and factions in the game.

You will have the choice between being a European or a non-European.  This too will effect your appeal to certain factions in the game, depending (if you end up in Italy, you are almost sure to get the votes of Italian Cardinals right off the bat... at least for the first few rounds).  Note: This differs from the wealthy/poor country option in that you might end up an Eastern European Cardinal.

You can either be a scholar, or you can be a man of the people.

Finally, you will have the choice between older and expirienced, or younger and relatively inexpirienced.  Once again, both will come with advantages and disadvantages.

Aside from the players, there will be around twice as many cardinals who have votes in the game (for my sake, I'll try not to go nuts).  You will have to influence their in order to win.  Depending on your personal traits, some of them will be undying loyalists to your cause from the start, others will need to be convinced of your worthyness.  The first person to convince 2/3 of the conclave will be the winner.

Any player can choose to vote for any other player at any time during the game (and may switch their vote).  This is not a wasted vote, for the outcome of this game will directly effect the course of the next game (so if you are a young cardinal, you might want to support an older cardinal in order to advance your standing in the next game and hit the ground running.

Factions (as I mentioned before) are going to be a huge part of the game.  Each and every one of the made up cardinals will come with their own life story and own traits and each will be a member of at least one faction.  You can target each individually, or you can try to influence a Faction Leader who controls (at least partially) the votes of his faction.  Some of you might start out as Faction Leaders, though I will try to balance that out.

Factions themselves can be either geographicly (African), culturally (Latin America) or politically based and may also be organization inside and outside the official Church oversight (such as the Pius X Society, Jesuits or Opus Dei).

Hmmm... trying to think if there is anything else I want to mention.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 02:17:55 AM »

I'll give it a try.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 06:21:42 AM »

As will I.
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 06:58:40 AM »

This sounds quite interesting - sign me up!
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 10:13:33 AM »

I'm in.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »

Wow...that's too weird. I just so happen to be watching the announcement of the new Pope from 2005 on YouTube when I spotted this thread.

I'm definetley in.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:54:38 AM »

Seems like a good idea. Count me in.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 01:31:36 PM »

Okay... I'm glad to see the interest from you guys.  I'm gonna shoot for 10 people before I start getting this kicked off.  I am working on the issue stance questions right now.  I should have those up by either later tonight or tomorrow.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 02:30:10 PM »

<~~~~ Next pope right here.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 02:35:44 PM »

Excellent... that's 8... including Bono, who said he woud join.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 04:41:48 PM »

Make it ten, if you can handle the next Wolsey. Wink

Seriously, I've quoted both the Convocation of the Clergy of the Provence of Canterbury and Apostolic Constitution Universi Dominici Gregis in scholarly papers.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 04:43:18 PM »

I'll play.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 05:23:29 PM »

I believe half of the players thus far are from Pennsylvania. Habemus Pennsylvanius!  Smiley  This is going to be awesome.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 05:24:02 PM »

Me too!
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »

Papal Smear Campaign

I can imagine the negative ads now.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 09:07:03 PM »

I want to play.

I'll represent the ultraliberals.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 09:25:08 PM »

I'm in.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 09:25:38 PM »

You can't be Pope. You love people too much.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »

Ain't that the truth?

That's why I'm going to be a crazy African hyperconservative, o/c Cheesy (well, that's what I'm thinking anyway... but it's a bit of a stereotype, so eh)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2007, 09:34:03 PM »

I'll go with being a scholar.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2007, 09:43:58 PM »

Super said he was posting the traits later. We don't just pick like that if I understood him correctly when we spoke earlier.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 10:05:51 PM »

Sign me up.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2007, 10:21:26 PM »

Alright guys, I'm working on both the questions and the offcial and expanded rules.  I should have them up soon.  I am impressed with the turnout thus far.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies