Subsidized abortions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:40:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Subsidized abortions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Subsidized abortions  (Read 3815 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: April 13, 2007, 11:30:45 AM »

concise.

Social (and, indeed, physical) Darwinism is the first thing I thought of as well, but why are you so disgusted with it?  The survival of the fittest is natural, and has selected your kind for success. 
"The survival of the fittest"? Then how do you explain the continued existence of the hippopotamus, who can only feed on dry land but cannot even survive on dry land during the sunshine? Tongue

I understand what is meant, but "survival of the fittest" - and "success" in Darwinist terms as well - is a badly phrased and easily misunderstood and abused term, and should perhaps be retired. We're actually talking the survival of anything sufficiently fit to meet a certain minimum standard, and not under massive pressure from fitter competition. Anything that can find itself a niche.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Alleviate the social burden of nurturing an unwanted human? That's what free childcare, welfare, and family tax credits are for Tongue You're talking of alleviating the social burden of not nurturing an unwanted human. Which also exists.
(And no, I do think the cost should be covered for the economically destitute. Basically, it makes no sense to deny access to abortions to those who subjectively need it the most. If we want the procedure to remain safe and legal (as in "safe legal & rare", that is). What would be the point of offering legal abortions to the middle class while very poor (and very young - one of the two reasons for my opposition to parental notification laws) still recourse to coathangers?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 03:36:44 PM »

concise.

Social (and, indeed, physical) Darwinism is the first thing I thought of as well, but why are you so disgusted with it?  The survival of the fittest is natural, and has selected your kind for success.
"The survival of the fittest"? Then how do you explain the continued existence of the hippopotamus, who can only feed on dry land but cannot even survive on dry land during the sunshine? Tongue

pretty much the same way I explain the survival of the human, who has no long sharp teeth, no claws, doesn't hear very well, doesn't run very fast, and doesn't see very well at night:  I don't.  I leave that to biologists.
Humans actually see pretty well at night, especially for a species overwhelmingly active during the day. Huh
You must be logged in to read this quote.
That wasn't the question though.
The question was: if we refuse to do that, why keep abortion legal at all?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 12:11:29 PM »

I'm confused why the liberals of the forum do NOT want to provide free abortions to those in need.  Are you all fundamentally opposed to helping the poor out in such a away?
Where did you get that? I don't see any comment by any liberal on this thread who doesn't want to do that. Angus is for it, padfoot is for it. Opebo has gone off on a (not entirely irrelevant) tangent and not answered the question. No other liberals have spoken up.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 02:55:43 AM »

I'm going to guess that offering to apply some affirmative action for minorities here (aka free abortions for non whites) would be frowned upon.
Of course. Why wouldn't it?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies