Opinion of this quote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 02:27:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of this quote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of this quote  (Read 803 times)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2007, 04:04:35 PM »

"Every subjectivist is a tyrant. He believes himself to be the ultimate ruler of the universe. Beware the subjectivist, for against his injustice there is no recourse but force."
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 04:11:31 PM »

Utter Shash. As long of course the Subjectivist realizes that one view of the universe and morality is a valid as any other (Especially including his own.)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 04:18:30 PM »

Looking up "subjectivism" in the dictionary, I got the following definition:

"The doctrine that all knowledge is limited to experiences by the self, and that transcendent knowledge is impossible."

I cannot envisage how one could possibly get from that to "[a subjectivist] believes himself to be the ultimate ruler of the universe."
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 04:51:02 PM »

"The doctrine that all knowledge is limited to experiences by the self, and that transcendent knowledge is impossible."

I cannot envisage how one could possibly get from that to "[a subjectivist] believes himself to be the ultimate ruler of the universe."
This is about moral, not epistemological subjectivism.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 04:59:03 PM »

This is about moral, not epistemological subjectivism.

Oh, my mistake.

Well, I still think it's kind of a silly statement.  Everyone has their own personal set of morals that they then use to run their lives and their interactions with other people.  Even if one professes to have received their set from a book, it's still their own interpretation of what was contained there.

I'm not in the crowd who feels that every single set of morals is completely equal to and as good as any other, but I'm also rather wary of professions that one's set of morals is THE set of morals for the universe.  The moment a person locks away a certain idea into the box of unquestionability, that person immediately loses the ability to completely and thoroughly think through things, and instead proceeds to try and force the entire world to conform to his or her defined set of unquestionable truths.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 06:15:36 PM »

so in other words, what life would be like if a bunch of opebos were ruling things?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 04:24:31 PM »

Subjectivism is actually a very absolutist idea.

But the point of the quote, which I agree with, is that subjectivity means that there is no objective truth. Now, people like Gabu may worry about people getting the wrong idea and thinking it to be objectively true. But if there is no objective truth to be found there is no way of getting a person to change his opinion. Therefore, subjectivity means the end of moral reasoning and thus makes it believes tyrants. They have no standard but themselves which is I think pretty much the original definition of a tyrant.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies