Breaux not running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Breaux not running
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Breaux not running  (Read 4591 times)
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 02:29:56 PM »

I really hope he does not have national ambitions - the Republicans will desperately seize on him as an example of being inclusive. 

Wow.  You admit you do not even want Republicans to be inclusive?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 03:31:12 PM »

I really hope he does not have national ambitions - the Republicans will desperately seize on him as an example of being inclusive. 

Wow.  You admit you do not even want Republicans to be inclusive?

Wait, what? How does that make it seem as if he doesn't want the Republicans to be inclusive? It sounds more to me that he thinks (whether rightly or wrongly) that the Republicans would love to put on a farce of being inclusive with a minority candidate.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 06:03:22 PM »

Sad
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 07:00:19 PM »

Wait, what? How does that make it seem as if he doesn't want the Republicans to be inclusive? It sounds more to me that he thinks (whether rightly or wrongly) that the Republicans would love to put on a farce of being inclusive with a minority candidate.

The amazing thing is that neither of you can recognize Jindal as a success story, just a minority somehow supposedly being exploited because you cannot respect his party choice.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 01:50:12 AM »

I don't really see what Santorum has to do with any of this (other than the BRTD/Keystone Phil circlejerk).  Pennsylvania residency requirements are rather relaxed, whereas Louisiana's are quite draconian.  If Santorum was in Louisiana, he might not be able to run either.
It is also assumed that representatives and congressmen are going to spend the majority of their time in Washington, and that many are going to maintain a second residence in Virginia or Maryland, that given housing costs is going to be more expensive than their home back in their home state.

Residency for Congress only has to be on election day, and it will be judged by the other members of Congress.  And they aren't going to outlaw something that most of them are doing anyhow. 

Breaux was Edwin Edwards' assistant from the time he was 24, and then was elected to Congress at 28 when Edwards became governor.  I'd guess that any home he had in Louisiana was more to establish residence than a place to live in.  After leaving the Senate he registered to vote in Maryland.

Louisiana requires its governors to have been resident in Louisiana for a year before election.  No one would have to challenge his residency until he actually filed.  It's not going to help if he has to explain who he voted for Senator last November.  If he picked up a Louisiana driver's license and registered to vote in February 2007, it's going to look fake.

Of course, politically it might have helped him.  Louisiana admires corrupt politicians.
Rococo4

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007, 04:46:15 PM »

I would have to like to see Breaux defeated, but I am happy he is not running.   Def. this is Jindal's race to lose now.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies