Gay parents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:53:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay parents
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Would you rather be raised by...........
A loving gay couple

Abusive straight parents

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Gay parents  (Read 4157 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 01:33:27 PM »

No, I think the parameters of the poll is flawed.  It pushes you to choose A, unless you are either a hardcore freak and/or homophobic, forcing you to choose B.  I go with C)  A loving straight couple.

What if the poll options were
A) abusive gay couple
B) loving straight couple

Are we to imply that those who chose B are anti-gay or something?

You compared these poll options to either "hav[ing] needles pushed under your finger nails" or "hav[ing] burning cigarettes pressed against your skin", which are of course both awful choices.  Therefore, in order to have made the same kind of comparison (i.e. "From the same department that brought you the preceding poll..."), you'd have to think that both options in this poll are equally awful.  That is not the point you are now making.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2007, 01:35:43 PM »

No, I think the parameters of the poll is flawed.  It pushes you to choose A, unless you are either a hardcore freak and/or homophobic, forcing you to choose B.  I go with C)  A loving straight couple.

What if the poll options were
A) abusive gay couple
B) loving straight couple

Are we to imply that those who chose B are anti-gay or something?

No more than the current poll is meant to imply that those who vote for A are "anti-straight". You're standing up a nice straw man, though.

Just pointing out the obvious.  If you want to have a poll about living with loving or abusive parents, fine.  If you want to have a poll about living with gay or straight parents, fine.  I'm sure that you will find the results for the first poll to be in favor of loving parents, while for the second poll, straight parents.  Now, if you have a third option for the second poll being "it doesn't matter," you might have that being the winner.  Primarily only people with an agenda and/or cannot handle reality use polls as the one at the beginning of the thread.  
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2007, 01:36:56 PM »

That is not the point you are now making.

It was an example highlighting how bad of a poll question this is.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2007, 01:40:19 PM »

As I said, the poll question was not supposed to be unbiased.  Its intention was to make the point that not all couples are created equal, and that there are many things more important than the parents' sexual orientation with respect to the quality of the parenting a child receives from them.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 01:43:05 PM »

As I said, the poll question was not supposed to be unbiased.  Its intention was to make the point that not all couples are created equal, and that there are many things more important than the parents' sexual orientation with respect to the quality of the parenting a child receives from them.

I understand that.  I'm just making my point.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 01:44:07 PM »

This is going to sound quite sexist, but it really needs to be thrown out there. Male adolescents are MUCH better off with a male authority figure as opposed to a female authority figure.

How are we defining "better off"?  My mom has been a single parent since I was 13, but I didn't exactly experience any problems in my development.

Better off as in less likely to commit petty crimes, or rebel in dangerous ways.

Where are you getting this research data?

http://www.fathermag.com/news/2776-UCSB.shtml
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2007, 01:50:58 PM »

Don't you think, though, that there are probably other factors that this could be much more readily attributed to than absence of a parent?  That is, things that correlate strongly with absence of a parent.

When I look at the kids I know, it's not just simply having a missing parent that makes most of the single-parent homes more unstable.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 01:58:48 PM »

I'm going to have to ask - which couple has more money?

But anyway I voted for the Gays.  The Two Gents.  But I would like one to be very Fem, possibly even a 'ladyboy'.   Mother's apron strings.

My own parents are very depressed, not at all gay.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 02:16:03 PM »

Don't you think, though, that there are probably other factors that this could be much more readily attributed to than absence of a parent?  That is, things that correlate strongly with absence of a parent.

When I look at the kids I know, it's not just simply having a missing parent that makes most of the single-parent homes more unstable.

That's sort of what I was thinking.  Things wouldn't have been any better had my dad stayed around.  He was who he was.  It's not as if people magically become better behaved purely on account of the fact that the person who provided half of their genetic material happens to be present.  Depending on how bad the father is, it might even help in certain situations to have the father leave.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2007, 05:55:59 PM »

Polls like that the one at the beginning of the thread are stupid.  Sorry.

Or more simply:

Polls here are stupid.  Sorry.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 01:09:30 AM »

Obviously, if he had lesbian parents, that would be totally hot.

Duh.

Finally, someone gets me.  Thanks for clearing this up Alcon so I don't have to bother explaining this to Joke Republic.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 02:33:19 AM »

Lol @ the homophobes who refuse to answer the poll question and complain about bias in the question formation instead.

You want gay people to be burned at the stake, we get it already.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 03:55:04 AM »

Obviously, if he had lesbian parents, that would be totally hot.

Duh.

Finally, someone gets me.  Thanks for clearing this up Alcon so I don't have to bother explaining this to Joke Republic.

I really hope that wasn't the serious explanation for that post.  If it is, excuse me while I vomit forever.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 04:04:52 AM »

I'm going to have to ask - which couple has more money?

But anyway I voted for the Gays.  The Two Gents.  But I would like one to be very Fem, possibly even a 'ladyboy'.   Mother's apron strings.

My own parents are very depressed, not at all gay.

Gay couples usually have a lot more money, but a lot of that has to do with not having children. So, having children would even that out somewhat. However, there are other factors as well.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 07:23:49 AM »

Lol @ the homophobes who refuse to answer the poll question and complain about bias in the question formation instead.

We do?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 08:34:50 AM »

We do?

Well, you just admitted to being a homophobe, so yeah, looks like it.

Similarly, it's also fairly clear that the only thing that angers HardRCafe more than the thought of gay people raising a child is those uppity womyn and negroes clamoring for equal rights in the 60s.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 09:04:10 AM »

Never admitted to anything, and I think it would be a surprise to my gay friends.  I was just pointing out how poor the poll question is because it is implied that there is only one "right" answer to the poll by the way it was structured.  An honest poll would have either left the words "straight/gay" or "loving/abusive" out of the answers.  I personally would not want gay loving parents or abusive straight parents.  That doesn't mean I don't like gay people, let alone want to burn them at the stake.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 09:14:49 AM »

What's wrong with a loving gay couple?

And, would a straight abusive couple be preferable?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 09:21:41 AM »

Nothing is wrong with a loving gay couple.  However, that isn't the question.  The question is: "Would you rather be raised by...."  My answer is neither. 
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2007, 06:30:08 PM »

Nothing is wrong with a loving gay couple.  However, that isn't the question.  The question is: "Would you rather be raised by...."  My answer is neither. 

What in your opinion would be worse about being raised by a loving gay couple as opposed to a loving straight couple?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2007, 08:51:26 PM »

What in your opinion would be worse about being raised by a loving gay couple as opposed to a loving straight couple?

Since I was not raised by gay parents, and considering my personal beliefs on gay marriage, I would be at odds and therefore not very happy. 
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 12:58:34 AM »

Clearly option 1.

I do think it's important to recognize that gay parents face more obstacles towards being good parents than straight ones do; biologically, pscyhologically, and in terms of dealing with increased pressure or stigma their children will inevitably face. But if they can demonstrate they have a plan in place to deal with those issues as they arise, there is no reason why they should be denied the opportunity to adopt. If there's one thing this country needs, it's more good parents, and it seems highly irrational to deny those who clearly are willing and able to fill this role.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 02:36:07 PM »

Since I was not raised by gay parents, and considering my personal beliefs on gay marriage, I would be at odds and therefore not very happy. 

Your reaction would be, "well, thank you for taking me in and providing me with a loving and accepting home and stable family life,  but we disagree on gay marriage, so this just isn't going to work out"?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 02:38:42 PM »

Your reaction would be, "well, thank you for taking me in and providing me with a loving and accepting home and stable family life,  but we disagree on gay marriage, so this just isn't going to work out"?

Not to mention the fact that one would undoubtedly have a much different opinion if one was raised by a loving gay couple.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 03:00:42 PM »

Not to mention the fact that one would undoubtedly have a much different opinion if one was raised by a loving gay couple.

Which is why I stated it that way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies