Highlights of past debates
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:34:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Highlights of past debates
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Highlights of past debates  (Read 6485 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2004, 10:07:11 AM »

By David Wiessler

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A sigh, a glance at a wristwatch, a 5 o'clock shadow.

After all the weighty words are passed back and forth in a presidential debate, it is often a simple gesture or a quick quip or a difference in appearance that remains in the memory.

In 2000, Republican George W. Bush and Democrat Al Gore (news - web sites) faced off on the issues of the day with key words like "lockbox" and "compassion" filling the air.

But it was sounds from Gore that appeared to be sighs while Bush was speaking, plus the odd makeup used by the Democratic vice president, that may best be remembered today.

Presidential debates in the United States have a relatively short history. The first was not held until 1960, when Republican Richard Nixon and Democrat John Kennedy faced each other on the new medium of television.

They discussed the hot issues of the day, such as what might happen to the tiny islands of Quemoy and Matsu off the China coast. But what came across on the screen were Kennedy's cool and Nixon's 5 o'clock shadow.

So it is likely to be again this year when the two presidential rivals -- Republican President Bush (news - web sites) and Democratic Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) -- square off for what is now a quadrennial slugfest.

After the Kennedy-Nixon debates, there were no more for another 16 years when Republican President Gerald Ford and Democrat Jimmy Carter reestablished the practice. A vice presidential debate also was added in 1976.

The revived event got off to a rocky start when a short circuit in some television equipment lost the sound transmission from the first debate. For nearly a half-hour, the two candidates just stood behind their podiums, not moving, not talking and not doing anything that might look unpresidential.

It was during a subsequent debate on foreign policy that Ford made a mistake that might have cost him votes in the very close election. Answering a question about the Soviet Union, Ford said, despite two decades of history to the contrary, "There is no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe."

Carter won but faced a far different debater in 1980: Ronald Reagan (news - web sites), the former California governor and movie star.

Many political pundits thought Reagan was too conservative or intellectually lightweight to be elected president. But just as the 1960 debates buried concerns about Kennedy's youth, the ex-governor's 1980 performance calmed many of those fears and made voters comfortable about voting for him.

'THERE YOU GO AGAIN'

"There you go again," he kept chiding Carter in a friendly conversational manner, and in the end, he asked voters a question that seemed to go to the heart of the campaign: "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"

Four years later, Reagan found himself in trouble when he seemed befuddled in his first debate with former Vice President Walter Mondale, admitting at one point, "I'm all confused now."

But he rebounded in the next encounter when he put the age issues to rest by quipping: "I will not make age an issue in this campaign. I am not going to exploit for political purposes my opponent's youth and inexperience."

"I knew he had gotten me there," Mondale said later. "That was really the end of my campaign."

In 1988, Republican Vice President Bush painted his Democratic opponent, Michael Dukakis, as an "iceman" lacking in passion. Dukakis helped him out by responding with a straight policy answer against the death penalty when asked how he would feel if his wife was raped and murdered that seemed to prove Bush's point.

Four years later, it was Bush who some critics said had fallen out of touch with American voters. During one debate with Democrat Bill Clinton (news - web sites) and independent Ross Perot (news - web sites), he was twice caught looking at his wristwatch to see how much time was left.

Clinton took naturally to a new format introduced for some of the debates: a "town meeting" at which the public asked questions instead of a panel of journalists. In 1996, he roamed the platform like a talk show host, leaving Republican Robert Dole looking uncomfortable with the new style.

While the main spotlight is on the presidential debates, probably the most memorable lines uttered in the political exchanges came in a vice presidential debate.

Republican Sen. Dan Quayle (news - web sites), blasted by Democrats as too lightweight and inexperienced for the job, tried to answer the criticism by pointing out he had as much congressional experience as Kennedy did when he reached the Oval Office.

Like a wolf jumping on a lamb, his Democratic rival, Sen. Lloyd Bentsen, turned to look directly at Quayle and responded:

"I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you are no Jack Kennedy."

For a rare moment in presidential campaign debates, a candidate was speechless.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 10:35:27 AM »

The Bentson-Quayle Kennedy conversation was about the only positive thing that happened during the whole campaign.

PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 11:05:22 AM »
« Edited: September 26, 2004, 11:05:41 AM by Governor PBrunsel »

In the 2nd 1980 debate President Carter said he went to his little daughter Amy for economic advice. It was all the rage on Johnny Carson that night.

Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 01:26:11 PM »

Or In The first of the Reagan-Mondale debates when Reagan uttered the words:

"I'm all confused."

We all know he recovered in the next one, which I'm sure you all remember the youth and inexpirence quote.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 03:59:08 PM »

Heres a keeper from the 1976 Debates:

Durring the first debate all the lights went out. Carter sat down and Ford remained standing. Ford later said, "If I had known what was going on I would have sat too."

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 04:35:09 PM »

The Bentson-Quayle Kennedy conversation was about the only positive thing that happened during the whole campaign.

How was that positive? Bensten purposely used the "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy" to make Quayle look bad and get some applause from the audience. He knew Quayle wasn't saying he was another JFK.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004, 03:45:20 PM »

The immediate conversation went like this:

QUAYLE: I have as much expirence as John Kennedy, when he was elected...

BENTSEN: Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy, I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy.

(Laughter from the audience, as Quayle gives a really unhappy look, and the moderator calls for order)

QUAYLE: That was really innappropriate, Senator.

BENTSEN: Well, you're the one that made the analogy...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 04:18:41 PM »

Heres a keeper from the 1976 Debates:

Durring the first debate all the lights went out. Carter sat down and Ford remained standing. Ford later said, "If I had known what was going on I would have sat too."

What was going on?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 04:27:35 PM »

The immediate conversation went like this:

QUAYLE: I have as much expirence as John Kennedy, when he was elected...

BENTSEN: Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy, I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy.

(Laughter from the audience, as Quayle gives a really unhappy look, and the moderator calls for order)

QUAYLE: That was really innappropriate, Senator.

BENTSEN: Well, you're the one that made the analogy...

Actually, Quayle said "That was really uncalled for, Senator." Tongue And it was!

Quayle wasn't saying "Oh I'm another JFK." No. He stated a fact that yes he did have as much experience as JFK did when he was elected. What Bensten wanted was an applause from the audience so he twisted the situation, and Quayle's words, around. He knew what Quayle meant.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2004, 04:29:55 PM »

How was that positive? Bensten purposely used the "Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy" to make Quayle look bad and get some applause from the audience. He knew Quayle wasn't saying he was another JFK.

That reminds of when Norm Coleman said in 2003 that he stacks up favorably to Paul Wellstone.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2004, 04:35:55 PM »

That reminds of when Norm Coleman said in 2003 that he stacks up favorably to Paul Wellstone.

What's your point? Were there polls out showing he and Wellstone were in a close race? If so, what's the problem with him saying it?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2004, 04:39:09 PM »

What's your point? Were there polls out showing he and Wellstone were in a close race? If so, what's the problem with him saying it?

It just strikes me as odd that Republicans like to point out if they stack up favorable to a Democrat who was in the same position has them before he died a tragic death.

There was nothing wrong with Bentson's reply to Quayle's comment.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2004, 04:45:38 PM »

It just strikes me as odd that Republicans like to point out if they stack up favorable to a Democrat who was in the same position has them before he died a tragic death.

What are you talking about? Died a tragic death? What does that have to do with Coleman saying he was just as favorable in the eyes of the voters as Wellstone was?

And also, there was something wrong with Bensten's comments: Pure arrogance. Like I said before, Bensten knew that line about "you're no JFK" had NOTHING do to with what Quayle said.

Let's put it this way. Some guy is running for President and he's in his 70s. During the debate, what if the 70 something year old said "Ronald Reagan was just as old as I am now when he was re-elected. I can serve at this age." Now what if his opponent then said "You're not a Ronald Reagan! Ronald Reagan was an American hero. He fought to end communism, gave money back to the taxpayers, stood for a strong defense..." What if that was said? Wouldn't you admit that it's uncalled for?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2004, 06:45:31 PM »

What are you talking about? Died a tragic death? What does that have to do with Coleman saying he was just as favorable in the eyes of the voters as Wellstone was?

And also, there was something wrong with Bensten's comments: Pure arrogance. Like I said before, Bensten knew that line about "you're no JFK" had NOTHING do to with what Quayle said.

Let's put it this way. Some guy is running for President and he's in his 70s. During the debate, what if the 70 something year old said "Ronald Reagan was just as old as I am now when he was re-elected. I can serve at this age." Now what if his opponent then said "You're not a Ronald Reagan! Ronald Reagan was an American hero. He fought to end communism, gave money back to the taxpayers, stood for a strong defense..." What if that was said? Wouldn't you admit that it's uncalled for?

Bentsen's line did have something to do with what Quayle said.

The difference is, that in yours, the young Republican talks about all of Reagan's policies. In Bentsen's remarks, what he was saying wasn't policy but, "Danforth J. Quayle, you are not Jack Kennedy". If the line was a political statement, you have to admit it worked fairly well, its still being used now.  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2004, 08:43:47 PM »

Bentsen's line did have something to do with what Quayle said.

The difference is, that in yours, the young Republican talks about all of Reagan's policies. In Bentsen's remarks, what he was saying wasn't policy but, "Danforth J. Quayle, you are not Jack Kennedy". If the line was a political statement, you have to admit it worked fairly well, its still being used now.  

"I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine." So tell me what that had to do with Quayle stating the fact that he had equal experience?
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2004, 03:47:55 PM »

Quayle compared himself to Kennedy. If your worst enemy compared himself with a friend, I'm sure you'd have something to say.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2004, 03:49:26 PM »

Quayle compared himself to Kennedy. If your worst enemy compared himself with a friend, I'm sure you'd have something to say.

Do you guys fail to realize something? He stated the FACT that he had as much experience as JFK did and Bensten clearly twisted it around. If my enemy said "I have as much experience as Rick Santorum did..." I wouldn't care if he actually DID have that much experience.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2004, 10:30:35 PM »

It seems to me what you don't realize is that Bentsen took that comment to heart, and put Quayle in his place. Quayle made the age comparison, and Bentsen countered. Besides, I'd be angry if a friend of mine was compared to someone like Dan Quayle.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2004, 01:25:54 PM »

It seems to me what you don't realize is that Bentsen took that comment to heart, and put Quayle in his place. Quayle made the age comparison, and Bentsen countered. Besides, I'd be angry if a friend of mine was compared to someone like Dan Quayle.

What are you missing here? Why would Llyod Bensten care if Quayle stated the FACT that he had the same amount of experience? Are you disputing that, Watson?

And why would you be so angry if someone said they had as much experience? He wasn't saying "I'm a better person than JFK" or anything like that so what's there to be mad about?

If anything, Quayle put Bensten in his place. Remember "That was really uncalled for Senator." And, in fact, it was uncalled for. I bet if you asked Bensten if he was really offended (which he shouldn't be) he would say that he wasn't. It's obvious he wanted an applause so he twisted the situation around.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2004, 04:20:02 PM »

You guys just keep saying the same thing over and over. Please change the subject.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2004, 05:08:10 PM »

You guys just keep saying the same thing over and over. Please change the subject.

Well I'm sorry and I know it's getting annoying repeating this stuff but hey...I'm pointing out facts he is ignoring.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2004, 05:09:06 PM »

I bet those who are old enough (and those whgo do a lot of reading) remember the 1992 Vice Presidential Debate. Quale and Gore just shouted at each other while poor Admiral Stockdale just sat there. When he was finally called on he yelled, "Who am I? Why am I here?"
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2004, 07:56:17 PM »

That reminds me of the old SNL skit with Dana Carvey as Perot and the late Phil Hartman as the Admiral. Actually, I found the 92 VP transcript online, and the first words Stockdale uttered in his opening arguement was "Who Am I? Why am I here?"

PEROT (CARVEY): Let me tell you, you were A-1 in that debate! You had an H-bomb, them other guys had slingshots.

STOCKDALE (HARTMAN): Ping Pong match!....

PEROT: You were just so great. Like, that part where you were quiet there for an hour, grand slam! And when you got up, and wandered over to Gore's podium, like you didn't know where you were... That showed you're restless, had places to go people to see.

STOCKDALE: Government's.... in..... In gridlock.

PEROT: And that part where you forgot your hearing aid was turned off, and you acted like you didn't know where you were; showed you wern't rehearsed like those other two. President needs top be sponteneous, and the American people know it.

STOCKDALE: ......GRIDLOCK!!!!!!!.......

(Perot laughs, and turns on the radio)

STOCKDALE: I'm hungry.

PEROT: Admiral, we ate at Denney's a half hour ago! You had a double cheese burger, your belly's full, I rest my case.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies