Results in 2004 by Metro Area
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:25:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Results in 2004 by Metro Area
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Results in 2004 by Metro Area  (Read 13700 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2008, 01:54:26 PM »

And Virginia Beach should be added as Republican, very Republican.

It's always surprised me why this area is reliably Republican, given its size and location. Or isn't there a high military population?

Minnesota is one of those few places in the country left where the suburbs vote more republican than the countryside. I am sure there are more examples but Minnesota is the most obvious one.

The only other states I can think of are Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and Oklahoma, though of course the latter is very Republican everywhere.

One might consider Georgia, North and  South Carolina, Louisiana and Arizona as well, off the top of my head. And oh yes, definitely Mississippi (e.g. Rankin and DeSoto counties) and Indiana (the belt of counties around Marion County, which is co-extensive with the city of Indianapolis these days, after unigov went into effect).

LOL difference between red state and blue state perhaps? I admit I was thinking a bit locally.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 02:36:29 PM »

And Virginia Beach should be added as Republican, very Republican.

It's always surprised me why this area is reliably Republican, given its size and location. Or isn't there a high military population?

Minnesota is one of those few places in the country left where the suburbs vote more republican than the countryside. I am sure there are more examples but Minnesota is the most obvious one.

The only other states I can think of are Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and Oklahoma, though of course the latter is very Republican everywhere.

One might consider Georgia, North and  South Carolina, Louisiana and Arizona as well, off the top of my head. And oh yes, definitely Mississippi (e.g. Rankin and DeSoto counties) and Indiana (the belt of counties around Marion County, which is co-extensive with the city of Indianapolis these days, after unigov went into effect).

Those Southern states are best explained by more blacks living in rural areas than in suburbia. Rural Arizona appears to have a high Native American and Hispanic population. I'm not sure why suburban Indianapolis is so Republican.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies