Benn criticises 'war on terror'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:27:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Benn criticises 'war on terror'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Benn criticises 'war on terror'  (Read 1754 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 16, 2007, 04:26:17 PM »

Hilary Benn that is, not his father
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 04:47:51 PM »

Yes but still...

'Father can you hear me?' Cheesy

I quite like Hilary.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 04:50:55 AM »

Well, what he said sounds pretty reasonable.. I Don't like the way politicians speak of "the terrorists" in promoting themselves, they need to be more specific..
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 04:56:19 AM »

Well, what he said sounds pretty reasonable.. I Don't like the way politicians speak of "the terrorists" in promoting themselves, they need to be more specific..

What are they then if not "terrorists"?

Dave
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 06:43:59 AM »

Dave

Misunderstood and impoverished individuals who are fighting against wealthy western society and deserve our understanding.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 10:28:28 AM »

Dave

Misunderstood and impoverished individuals who are fighting against wealthy western society and deserve our understanding.

SR, you need to add a smiley.

It is a good paraphrase of what we would expect form another notorious poster here.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 06:52:16 AM »

Dave

I'd never argue that.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 07:11:23 AM »

Most of them aren't exactly that poor...
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 07:14:03 AM »

Most of them aren't exactly that poor...

Exactly, that's why State's assumption of my opinion is so stupid, at lot of them are middle-class intellectuals, like Al-Zarahiwi and the leaders of almost any terrorist group, and many of their members.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 07:17:24 AM »
« Edited: April 20, 2007, 07:20:40 AM by Matthews »

Dave

It is a good paraphrase of what we would expect form another notorious poster here.

I'm you're referring to Opebo then I'm gravely insulted. We are in no way comparable. I think my opinion has been misunderstood, therefore I have explained it (below, I had to post it again), although only because Dave is someone who it wouldn't be wasted on.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 07:19:46 AM »

Dave

I was talking about the need for politicians to be more specific about which terrorists they are talking about, rather than speaking of "the terrorists" as if they're one group.

How many times have you heard "that's what the terrorists want", and "if we do x then the terrorists have already won". This often comes from the left and from civil libertarians, and I'm sure that annoys you too (I seriously doubt any terrorists are carrying out their attacks to change policy on civil liberties..).

This is not really a criticism of British politicans or the British government, they usually do make it clearer who they mean..

So if we are specific, say talking about Bin Laden, Al-Zawahiri, the July 7 bombers and the 9/11 Hijackers, of course they're all terrorists! I'd never deny that.

What I'm saying the umbrella label of "the terrorists" is flawed, but that those who it implicity refers to certainly are terrorists. I probably should've elaborated on my point in the first place :$.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 07:20:34 AM »

Dave

I'm you're referring to Opebo then I'm gravely insulted. We are in no way comparable. I think my opinion has been misunderstood, therefore I have explained it, although only because Dave is someone who it wouldn't be wasted on.
Unfortunately, he is.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 03:53:15 PM »

Dave

I'm you're referring to Opebo then I'm gravely insulted. We are in no way comparable. I think my opinion has been misunderstood, therefore I have explained it (below, I had to post it again), although only because Dave is someone who it wouldn't be wasted on.

I was referromg tp tje state,emt from StatesRights.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 03:55:17 PM »

Dave

I'm you're referring to Opebo then I'm gravely insulted. We are in no way comparable. I think my opinion has been misunderstood, therefore I have explained it, although only because Dave is someone who it wouldn't be wasted on.
Unfortunately, he is.

Lewis, it is clear in the post I was referring to StatesRights post.

How much clearer could it be?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 11:22:14 AM »

Dave

Unfortunately, he is.

Lewis, it is clear in the post I was referring to StatesRights post.

How much clearer could it be?
I was saying that Dave is, unfortunately, someone whom Matthews' explanation would be wasted upon.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies