Would a Jew be able to be elected president (Eliot Spitzer)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:35:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Would a Jew be able to be elected president (Eliot Spitzer)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Would a Jew be able to be elected president (Eliot Spitzer)?  (Read 9771 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 17, 2007, 12:13:16 PM »

My governor, Eliot Spitzer, is a very ambitious politician. As Attorney General, he was incredibly busy, and was easily the most widely known State Attorney General in the country, and probably more widely known than any governors besides Schwarzaneggar and Bush.

He easily won his race for the governorship in '06. On the campaign trail, he was frequently asked if corrupt businessmen were infact funding his Gubernatorial campaign, so that he couldn't do them anymore damage as attorney general. He usually responded that when Teddy Roosevelt was Governor, the Republicans stuck him as the Vice President so that he could no longer cause any "trouble" as Governor, and if you thought Governors couldn't shake up the establishment, you were very wrong.

The comparison to Teddy Roosevelt seems to extend out to Presidential ambition to me. I don't think he's made any announcements, but it seems to me that tthe first time after 2012 when the Democratic field is open, he'll be running for President.

In general, someone with his record would stand out in the primary. Amongst politicians who usually seem all talk, Gov. Spitzer will have a striking record of agressive action, the sort of action that Democratic primary voters ABSOLUTELY LOVE, squeezing money out of corrupt business, suing the federal government for lax environmental laws, etc.

I believe that were his name Eliot Smith, he would be great candidate and have a tremendous shot at winning. But could a Jew carry a state like Ohio, or Iowa, New Mexico, or even New Hampshire? By the time Spitzer runs, the new EC numbers will be in, and the southwest will be much more important, and the North East much less, so any Democrat will likely need New Mexico and Colorado to win. Could a Jewish man pull this off?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 12:22:10 PM »

I don't see why not. America loves Jewish people.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 01:05:39 PM »

I don't see being a Jew as an obstacle to the presidency.  However, I cannot attest as to whether Spitzer would be the right man for the job.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 01:28:05 PM »

I don't think Jewish would be much of a problem. Anyone who hates Jews probably isn't a Democrat voter to begin with (probably not a Republican either).
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 06:16:50 PM »

Yep, why not? Most fundies I know have a "love affair" with Jewish people.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 01:17:27 AM »

Goldwater was of Jewish extraction and carried the more conservative states; Liebermann almost swung the election to Gore, possibly because he was Jewish.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 06:39:55 AM »

No him being Jewish will not be a problem at all, However him being a Northeast liberal will be.
elcorazon

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 12:08:55 PM »

Goldwater was of Jewish extraction and carried the more conservative states; Liebermann almost swung the election to Gore, possibly because he was Jewish.
huh?  you've got to be kidding me. you believe this?  I think Lieberman was a drag on Gore's campaign, through and through.

All that said, I do think a Jew could win.  I think being Jewish is clearly a liability, however, not nearly as big a liability as being female, but still a liability.  I think it is a greater liability than being black, although it's close.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 08:03:21 AM »

You got to be kidding. Black is waaaay worse. Wink
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 11:18:15 AM »

Well, considering that we elected another Jew for the senate when our last Jewish senator died in a plane crash and a Jew is actually running against the current Jew, I don't see why there'd be a problem, at least here.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 11:29:09 AM »

Well, considering that we elected another Jew for the senate when our last Jewish senator died in a plane crash and a Jew is actually running against the current Jew, I don't see why there'd be a problem, at least here.

Wasn't the previous Senator for that seat Jewish also?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 12:32:48 PM »

huh?  you've got to be kidding me. you believe this?  I think Lieberman was a drag on Gore's campaign, through and through.
Lieberman being Jewish not just almost swung Florida to Gore.

Elsewheres, I don't see how he was "a drag" on the campaign, tho' he was a weak pick that didn't add as much as others might have. But that's nothing to do with his religion.
elcorazon

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 01:07:21 PM »

Lieberman being Jewish not just almost swung Florida to Gore.

Elsewheres, I don't see how he was "a drag" on the campaign, tho' he was a weak pick that didn't add as much as others might have. But that's nothing to do with his religion.
a) I agree his Judaism was not his biggest problem
b) Although Gore arguably won Florida, I don't think Lieberman played much of a part in that, if any.
c) It's possible a better veep pick might have helped Gore in any number of states other than Florida that might have allowed Gore to win (Ohio, Missouri, Tennessee, New Hampshire, Nevada
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 07:13:04 AM »

No. A mormon or muslim would have problems tho.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 05:33:11 PM »

Yes, but I would never vote for Spitzer, he's horrible.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 06:17:57 PM »

All that said, I do think a Jew could win.  I think being Jewish is clearly a liability, however, not nearly as big a liability as being female, but still a liability.  I think it is a greater liability than being black, although it's close.

Lieberman had broad appeal and almost gave Gore FL, and possibly gave Gore PA.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 07:25:55 PM »

Yes, a Jew could be elected President, but not that particular individual, Governor Spitzer.

Spitzer is so far to the left he makes Barbara Mikulski look like a moderate. 
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 09:08:57 PM »

I'm going to say no, thankfully it seems like only Christians can be elected president in today's society.  Could that change?  Of course
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 06:47:36 PM »

Lieberman had broad appeal and almost gave Gore FL, and possibly gave Gore PA.
Gore would have won PA almost for sure.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 07:07:09 PM »

thankfully it seems like only Christians can be elected president in today's society

dude.....
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 11:59:12 PM »

My governor, Eliot Spitzer, is a very ambitious politician. As Attorney General, he was incredibly busy, and was easily the most widely known State Attorney General in the country, and probably more widely known than any governors besides Schwarzaneggar and Bush.

He easily won his race for the governorship in '06. On the campaign trail, he was frequently asked if corrupt businessmen were infact funding his Gubernatorial campaign, so that he couldn't do them anymore damage as attorney general. He usually responded that when Teddy Roosevelt was Governor, the Republicans stuck him as the Vice President so that he could no longer cause any "trouble" as Governor, and if you thought Governors couldn't shake up the establishment, you were very wrong.

The comparison to Teddy Roosevelt seems to extend out to Presidential ambition to me. I don't think he's made any announcements, but it seems to me that tthe first time after 2012 when the Democratic field is open, he'll be running for President.

In general, someone with his record would stand out in the primary. Amongst politicians who usually seem all talk, Gov. Spitzer will have a striking record of agressive action, the sort of action that Democratic primary voters ABSOLUTELY LOVE, squeezing money out of corrupt business, suing the federal government for lax environmental laws, etc.

I believe that were his name Eliot Smith, he would be great candidate and have a tremendous shot at winning. But could a Jew carry a state like Ohio, or Iowa, New Mexico, or even New Hampshire? By the time Spitzer runs, the new EC numbers will be in, and the southwest will be much more important, and the North East much less, so any Democrat will likely need New Mexico and Colorado to win. Could a Jewish man pull this off?

Elliot Spitzer could not be elected no matter what his religion.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 07:00:14 PM »

Could Jews get elected? Of course. There's a small but real chance our next President (or the one after that) could be a Mormon, and Mormons are viewed in a *far* more negative light than Jews by most Americans.

We nearly had a Jewish vice president. There are like a dozen or so Jews in the Senate. Quite a few Cabinet members and Supreme Court justices have been Jewish. It isn't exactly like Jews have never been involved in the political process.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 08:32:35 PM »

thankfully it seems like only Christians can be elected president in today's society. 

So, you would rather have a communist Chrisitan than a conservative Jew? This is why people call you anti-Semetic, DWTL, and it is not without precedent.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 04:12:29 PM »

I think that there a certain Jews who could win the election.  Spitzer isn't able to do so yet, but maybe in the future.  Russ Feingold or Chuck Schumer have a good chance to win someday.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »

No. Less likely in the future than now. Anti-semitism will come back in a BIG way in the west once the middle east implodes into peak oil/US failed imperial adventures related chaos.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies