The Hill: Maine’s Allen to enter Senate race within a month
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:07:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Maine’s Allen to enter Senate race within a month
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: Maine’s Allen to enter Senate race within a month  (Read 572 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2007, 12:11:46 PM »

By Aaron Blake
April 18, 2007

Rep. Tom Allen (D-Maine) likely will make his candidacy for U.S. Senate in 2008 official in the next month, campaign manager Valerie Martin told The Hill yesterday.

Allen has been expected to challenge Sen. Susan Collins (R) for months, and raised about $400,000 during the first quarter. No other major candidates have expressed interest in the race, leaving the Democratic field clear for Allen.

Collins raised more than $800,000 in the first quarter and holds an $800,000–$1.2 million cash-on-hand advantage.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/maines-allen-to-enter-senate-race-within-a-month-2007-04-17.html

Kevinstat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 10:02:04 PM »

I didn't see this until now.  You beat me on this news.  I do think my headline was more catchy though.

I'm surprised there haven't been any replies to either this or that thread.  Perhaps others on the forum had already assumed Allen was running against Collins.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 10:59:06 AM »

I think there was some discussion earlier in the year when an Allen run was first mooted - the consensus of opinion was that Collins would win.  I, however, think that Allen could beat Collns given what we saw last year in the North East.  Collins may be popular, but if Allen frames the issues right and makes the election a referendum on Bush/Iraq and the Republicans - he could win.  I think it being a Presidential year definitely helps him but Collins may be safer now that her Party is in the minority and she cannot be Chaffeed, to coin a phrase. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies