UK and US unions in merger talks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:28:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK and US unions in merger talks
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK and US unions in merger talks  (Read 693 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2007, 06:18:09 AM »

Amicus, a major union in the UK, is to discuss a possible merger with another union based in the US and Canada.

If agreed, it would bring another 1.2m members to Amicus, creating one of the biggest unions in the world with more than 3m members.

Amicus General Secretary Derek Simpson is due to meet officials from United Steel Workers in about a fortnight.

The BBC's Stephen Cape said it was the first time such an international merger has been mooted.

He said it was a reflection of the changing world, where union influence was in decline yet there was a growing need to fight global companies.

Although there are different labour laws in other countries, a super union could put pressure on companies and their managers, he added.

On some issues, for example pay, it would be possible to co-ordinate strikes at a company with plants in Britain and America.

Amicus is already set to expand next month when it merges with the Transport and General Workers Union (T&G), making it the country's biggest union.

Previously, Mr Simpson has spoken of creating "a single global trade union movement capable of challenging the might of multinationals".
merseysider
militant centrist

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 01:26:29 PM »

WTF?

I could understand them joining forces with unions in (for example) France and Germany, given the European dimension to labour law, but what on earth do they want to merge with an American union for?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 12:36:52 AM »

Both unions have been on a merger mania of late, with the USW recently merging with an Aruban union to expand into a third country, albeit a minor one.  To deal with multinational companies, the unions need to become multinationals as well, so it makes sense.  I doubt if the stronger French or German unions are ready to recognize that fact yet.  Union rank and file  (at least in the U.S.) tend to contain some of the most nationalistic I don't care how people elsewhere are doing, I want to keep my job here and make more for doing it, even if there is someone else able to do it cheaper elsewhere and feel like they are improving their lot  by doing so.  Globalization means we either are going to have a race for the bottom or a rising tide lifting everyone up.  So far its done more lifting than downward racing.  That doesn't mean that I'd be happy if I were one of the privileged caught in a downdraft.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 08:35:39 AM »

Stronger French unions? Union density in France is measured in single digits.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 11:45:19 PM »

Strength is not measured only by numbers, but also by how much the politicians pay attention to them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies