EU agrees on new racism rules. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:24:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EU agrees on new racism rules. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EU agrees on new racism rules.  (Read 1618 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: April 19, 2007, 07:39:56 PM »

http://www.startribune.com/133/story/1131328.html

You could get up to 3 years for condoning, denying, or "trivializing" crimes against humanity, genocide, etc. etc.

I am strongly opposed to this measure.  While I think anyone who denies the holocaust is an idiot, I think it is a blow to freedom to throw someone in jail for it.  Hooray to Britain, Denmark, and Italy for being skeptical and at least keeping freedom of expression in mind.

I think Hubert Humphrey had it right:  "The right to be heard does not equal the right to be taken seriously."  That's a good standard to apply here.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 12:04:08 AM »

Well, it's really a sad state of affairs when you have a bunch of stuffy bureaucrats making laws, especially when they don't have to be accountable to the people. 

One thing that really baffles me is that you may not purchase "Mein Kampf" in many European countries and "Triumph of the Will" is banned as well.  I could go down to Barnes and Noble tomorrow and buy Mein Kampf right from the shelf.

You cannot make up for past atrocities by banning books and adverse opinions (however false and stupid they may be).

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies