PA: 2000 Senatorial Democratic Primary Election Result
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:48:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA: 2000 Senatorial Democratic Primary Election Result
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA: 2000 Senatorial Democratic Primary Election Result  (Read 833 times)
RBH

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2007, 11:07:33 AM »

New Election: 2000 Pennsylvania Senatorial Democratic Primary Election Results

Yay ultrapolarized primary!
RBH

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 11:24:10 AM »

added bonus: Specter v. Toomey
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 11:32:22 AM »

Haha at Allyson! To bad she, Rovner and Foley had to split up the liberal vote. Santorum vs. Schwartz would have been great.  Wink

At the same time, while I am not sure exactly where he was from, Foley had to be from a rural area. Look at the appeal he had everywhere outside of SE PA and out west. The most interesting are the results in Centre and Union. The split between Foley and Klink allowed Schwartz to emerge as the victor in both those counties (with help from liberal college students at Penn State in Centre county).

Toomey-Specter is so sad to see and it's all because of Bush and Santorum. If those two didn't get involved, or even if one of the two didn't get involved, Toomey would have won. All of the most conservative counties saw that Bush and Santorum were all about Specter and fell in line behind him. Toomey could have really kicked ass in the primary.
RBH

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 11:43:40 AM »

Foley is described as the former state Labor secretary, which is probably helpful to swaying various labor voters who weren't in Klink Country.

Rovner actually got a lot of support in his small base, but not enough to get his own map.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 12:26:53 PM »

Foley is described as the former state Labor secretary, which is probably helpful to swaying various labor voters who weren't in Klink Country.

Exactly.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, Rovner is a legendary former State Senator and attorney from Philly. I'm surprised he didn't do better than 4%.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »

Haha at Allyson! To bad she, Rovner and Foley had to split up the liberal vote. Santorum vs. Schwartz would have been great.  Wink

At the same time, while I am not sure exactly where he was from, Foley had to be from a rural area. Look at the appeal he had everywhere outside of SE PA and out west. The most interesting are the results in Centre and Union. The split between Foley and Klink allowed Schwartz to emerge as the victor in both those counties (with help from liberal college students at Penn State in Centre county).

Toomey-Specter is so sad to see and it's all because of Bush and Santorum. If those two didn't get involved, or even if one of the two didn't get involved, Toomey would have won. All of the most conservative counties saw that Bush and Santorum were all about Specter and fell in line behind him. Toomey could have really kicked ass in the primary.

And there'd be 2 democrats from Pennsylvania right now.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 12:35:09 PM »

I wonder why Toomey did so strong out west, and Westmoreland County. But yes if only he won the primary. Yet another Democratic vote.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 12:37:11 PM »

I wonder why Toomey did so strong out west, and Westmoreland County. But yes if only he won the primary. Yet another Democratic vote.

There's a pretty decent east (well Metro philly)-west (rest of the state) rivalry
It transcends partisan boundaries but also from time to time shows there too. That and (and at least as the GOP primary goes) the west is socially conservative (specter is not, toomey is), while the Southeast's Republicans are very much like me, socially librul.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 05:01:33 PM »

And there'd be 2 democrats from Pennsylvania right now.

In your opinion. Toomey could have beaten weak Hoeffel.

There's a pretty decent east (well Metro philly)-west (rest of the state) rivalry
It transcends partisan boundaries but also from time to time shows there too. That and (and at least as the GOP primary goes) the west is socially conservative (specter is not, toomey is), while the Southeast's Republicans are very much like me, socially librul.

That's the bulk of it. Specter is well liked in the SE. This is his base. Toomey went as far away as he could from Specter's base to an area that Specter generally ignored. As stated above, the west is also more socially conservative.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies