DSCC gearing up to play in Texas Senate Race? And the candidate is?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:58:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  DSCC gearing up to play in Texas Senate Race? And the candidate is?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DSCC gearing up to play in Texas Senate Race? And the candidate is?  (Read 1411 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2007, 04:12:08 PM »

How does the DSCC select its targeted candidates?  The internal maneuvering and decision making within the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee is probably quite a mystery to most of us who consider ourselves grassroots get-out-the-vote activists.  What we do know is that using a complex set of criteria and insider judgments, the DSCC decides where to place their money in 2008 in an effort to get to a filibuster proof Senate.

While I'm a great advocate of people-powered campaigns, the frustration in the last months by so many of us on the inability of critical legislation to move in the Senate, even with Democratic control, makes me want to be sure that we move up the Democratic margin in that body considerably. 

With Republicans defending 21 seats and Democrats only 12, there are a lot of possibilities.  Many of us are salivating that one of them will be recapturing the Corny seat in Texas.

One of the criteria for the DSCC to get involved with a nominee in a particular state is that the state's nominee has raised a "tally" amount for the DSCC from their state.

Saturday,  Mikal Watts, Democratic activist and fundraiser, is hosting a high dollar event at his home in San Antonio headlined by Sen. Chuck Schumer (NY), chair of the DSCC.

The invitation notes that Watts has gained an agreement with the DSCC that the funds coming from this event (over $100,000 according to the email) will all be applied to the amount the nominee in Texas must have raised.

"With the promise obtained, all the money we raise at our event will count toward that tally for the democratic party nominee from Texas, making it much more likely that money raised in Texas will be used to unseat Senator John Cornyn."

I applaud Mikal  Watts and these folks for removing this hurdle in advance from our future nominee.  Here's the list of co-hosts of the event from the invite:

Jim Adler,
Hon. Ben Barnes,
Fred Baron,
Rene Barrientos,
Adolph Briscoe,
Tony Buzbee,
Mauricio Ceils,
Brent Coon,
Hon.  Garry Mauro,
Tony Sanchez,
Todd Tracy,
Walter Umphrey,
Mikal Watts,
Robin Young- Ellis

Of course, this entire event begs the question on who our nominee might be.
No one has announced.  The filing deadline to be a candidate is fast approaching, and  is either October 31st or January 2nd (depending upon whether the Texas Senate will approve moving the primary or not).

Trial balloons up and down for Ben Barnes.  Rumors fly that Barbara Ann Radnofsky will try again.  State Rep. Pete Gallego of Alpine seems to be sniffing the air.  Supporters and others are pushing the draft of State Rep. Rick Noriega of Houston.  And in the last weeks, rumors are moving rapidly of the interest of a certain activist and fundraiser who is leading the effort to raise money for the DSCC:  Mikal Watts of San Antonio / Corpus  Christi.

I have a level of respect for all of these possible candidates.  I'm ready to get our nominee elected and get the general election underway.  It's been too long since we've had a Democratic Senator from Texas.  By the end of 2008, let's have that suffix (D-TX) behind one of ours.

http://www.burntorangereport.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=3288
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 04:15:36 PM »

It's been how long since a Democrat won a single statewide race in Texas?  I'm not exactly hopeful about that particular state.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:44:22 PM »

It's been how long since a Democrat won a single statewide race in Texas?  I'm not exactly hopeful about that particular state.

I always liked Pete Gallego, a good conservative border Democrat, but I find it interesting that he would think about giving up his ultra-safe State House seat for this.  Especially when he didn't run in TX-23 last time, which would have been a better race for him.

Radnofsky/Barnes/Noriega = instant loss.  As I have said before, I know Noriega personally, and from everything I have been told, there is no interest in entering the Senate race at all.  I suspect Gallego would have no chance either (though maybe slightly more than the others). 

I don't know anything about Mikal Watts, except that he's a trial lawyer, like nearly everyone else on that list.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:11:58 PM »

Cornyn is absolutely terrible but it's extremely unlikely the Democrats find a victory down in Texas.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 09:48:20 PM »

Texas? Hmm, maybe they could force the Republicans to waste some money to hold that seat.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 09:49:34 PM »

Texas? Hmm, maybe they could force the Republicans to waste some money to hold that seat.

Meh...you're being overly optimistic...this ranks right up there on the boneheaded list with Bush spending money/campaigning in California, or the Republicans chasing after New Jersey.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 09:52:32 AM »

Meh...you're being overly optimistic...this ranks right up there on the boneheaded list with Bush spending money/campaigning in California, or the Republicans chasing after New Jersey.

agreed
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 10:11:18 AM »

Henry Cuellar is displaying no interest?
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »

With Republicans defending 21 seats and Democrats only 12, there are a lot of possibilities.  Many of us are salivating that one of them will be recapturing the Corny seat in Texas.

Democrats have almost as good a chance of recapturing the Cornyn seat as Republicans have of recapturing the Durbin seat.

Cornyn (R) 52%
Radnofsky (D) 48%

Durbin (D) 51%
No Candidate Filed (R) 49%

No Candidate Filed then will go on to win for Comptroller in 2010.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 01:07:30 PM »

Henry Cuellar is displaying no interest?

Why would Cuellar give up a safe House seat he would have trouble getting back for a Senate run where he stands a 10%-15% chance of winning if he can get past the primary.

I know you want to get rid of moderate Democrats, but Cuellar is not an idiot.  Smiley

Besides, I really don't think the state Dems would be behind him for the nomination.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 01:16:20 PM »

Why are Texas State Democrats insistent on only running extremist liberals statewide?

Because that and trial lawyers are the two factions running the party nowadays.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 02:28:04 PM »

Why is the Texas Democratic Party dominated by liberals when most of the other Southern State Democratic Parties are more conservative? 
Conan
conan

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 04:58:20 PM »

They raised 1.1 million! They doubled their last Texas record when they were only supposed to raise 150,000. Schumer is great.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 04:59:13 PM »

What a waste of 1.1 million dollars
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies