What I don't understand about today's society
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:36:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What I don't understand about today's society
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What I don't understand about today's society  (Read 4631 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2007, 06:49:26 PM »

It's alright to have videos about how stupid the President of the USA is...but it's not alright for politicans to make wisecracks about a threatening country.

It's alright for our young people to turn on the radio and hear filth about sex and use profanity and terrible language...but when someone makes a "nappyheaded ho" remark or calls a black presidential candidate articulate...that's not alright.

For liberals, it's bad to execute people like Tookie Williams and to pull a "Jack Bauer" on terrorists to get information, but it's alright to perform late term abortions.

Is it just me, or are these times hypocritical?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 07:08:37 PM »

It's alright to have videos about how stupid the President of the USA is...but it's not alright for politicans to make wisecracks about a threatening country.

The American public does not want a war with Iran, so it kind of makes sense that it would not be amused at even the slightest hint that a politician might want to start one.  The American public also does not particularly like George W. Bush, so it kind of makes sense for them to want to be able to express the fact that they do not like George W. Bush.

It's alright for our young people to turn on the radio and hear filth about sex and use profanity and terrible language...but when someone makes a "nappyheaded ho" remark or calls a black presidential candidate articulate...that's not alright.

Yeah, that one's pretty dumb, but such double standards have been around for a very long time in some form or another.

For liberals, it's bad to execute people like Tookie Williams and to pull a "Jack Bauer" on terrorists to get information, but it's alright to perform late term abortions.

No liberal wants late term abortions to happen.  Most I can think of simply want to be able to put the life of the mother before the life of the fetus.

Is it just me, or are these times hypocritical?

Yeah, like, oh, every single time ever in history.  The general public honestly just does not care enough to form a coherent and internally consistent stance on things, so naturally you get ad hoc stances as a result made everywhere that may very well contradict others made at a different time.  Trying to analyze the ideology of the "average citizen" is a totally worthless endeavor because such a thing really does not exist.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 07:13:41 PM »

Yeah, that one's pretty dumb, but such double standards have been around for a very long time in some form or another.

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with this. Believing that racism and sexism are more wrong than sexually explicit or "dirty" language, is not hypocritical.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 07:15:25 PM »

I'm not sure there is anything wrong with this. Believing that racism and sexism are more wrong than sexually explicit or "dirty" language, is not hypocritical.

But you do get rappers yelling stuff like "bitches ain't sh**t" and "ho, suck my dick" in their songs, and no one bats an eyelash because, oh, that's just (insert artist's name here) doing his thing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 09:09:09 PM »

It's alright to have videos about how stupid the President of the USA is...but it's not alright for politicans to make wisecracks about a threatening country

Why aren't you in Iraq?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 09:11:17 PM »

It's alright to have videos about how stupid the President of the USA is...but it's not alright for politicans to make wisecracks about a threatening country

Why aren't you in Iraq?

Does that somehow quash his "point"?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 09:20:36 PM »

Well Mike, call me paranoid, but someone who has always been gung-ho for the Iraq War making a joke about bombing Iran is kind of scary... The American public is getting sick of war... It happens... A solid majority of Americans, including Republicans, Democrats, and Independants of various political beliefs are just really sick and tired of fighting endlessly.

As far as Imus... Well, I don't listen to rap, and I never listened to Imus. What was upsetting was the comment he specifically made about certain people (Rutgers women B-ball team). Once he apologized, fine... He apologized in person to the team... Fine. Whether he was fired or not was for CBS to decide... They decided to fire him... That's the way life is.

Well, as far as Tookie, I don't support the death penalty. As far as torture, I don't support that either. As far as late term abortions, the only time I've ever favored a second trimester abortion was if the fetus was a danger to the mother, or not going to live anyway.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 08:28:35 AM »

and to pull a "Jack Bauer" on terrorists to get information

Shut the hell up.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 08:57:42 AM »

It's alright for our young people to turn on the radio and hear filth about sex and use profanity and terrible language...

On the radio, or even worse, in TeamSpeak.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 09:06:24 AM »

It's alright for our young people to turn on the radio and hear filth about sex and use profanity and terrible language...

On the radio, or even worse, in TeamSpeak.

Exactly....but, according to Naso, that's just "guy talk."
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 11:45:18 AM »

Naso, the difference is that liberals use reason, whereas your responses are all simply emotional.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 11:54:35 AM »

Naso, the difference is that liberals use reason, whereas your responses are all simply emotional.

Actually, it's the opposite. Take Iraq for example. Terrorists are blowing stuff up...the Democrats want out because they are acting on emotion, not reason.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 11:54:56 AM »

Happy 20K opie!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 12:17:14 PM »

Actually, it's the opposite. Take Iraq for example. Terrorists are blowing stuff up...the Democrats want out because they are acting on emotion, not reason.

Not at all Naso.  There are no 'terrorists' in Iraq other than the foreign invader.  The people to whom you refer are nationalists or 'patriots', but certainly resistance fighters.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 12:19:46 PM »

I don't understand why the black man somehow deserves more protection than those of us who are hispanic/mixed race/asian/white... Funny how people get bitched at for comments like that while illegal immigrant jokes are popular...
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 12:42:13 PM »

So, why not go after the terrorists rather than invading one of the countries that had the fewest connections to terrorists.  (if traveling through an area is considered sponsoring terrorism, we need to bomb Florida - where as far as I can recall the 9/11 terrorists attended flight school.

Special ops and intel gathering aren't as 'sexy' as blowing up bridges and buildings, but they tend to be a whole lot more effective at stopping terrorists.

Speaking of inconsistencies - why is seeing a boob on tv (the anatomical part, not assorted actors, personalities, and talking heads) considered so much worse than seeing a murder on tv.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »

Blame christian douches for that.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 12:54:02 PM »

So, why not go after the terrorists rather than invading one of the countries that had the fewest connections to terrorists.  (if traveling through an area is considered sponsoring terrorism, we need to bomb Florida - where as far as I can recall the 9/11 terrorists attended flight school.

Special ops and intel gathering aren't as 'sexy' as blowing up bridges and buildings, but they tend to be a whole lot more effective at stopping terrorists.

Speaking of inconsistencies - why is seeing a boob on tv (the anatomical part, not assorted actors, personalities, and talking heads) considered so much worse than seeing a murder on tv.

Look, I think liberals and the media intentionally ignore what President Bush gives as his reasoning.

He's President of the United States, he has overwhelming support, about 60-80% approval ratings, it's one year after September 11th, all intel shows that Saddam Hussien has WMDs and we know he used them on his own people 15-25 years back. Congress, including Senators like Edwards, Kerry, Clinton, Kennedy ect. give the President the authority to invade to find weapons, remove Saddam and try to put in place a free government. We invade, and easily take over Baghdad, kill Saddam's sons, then we capture Saddam in less than 12 months.

We invaded because after 9/11 any threat needed to be taken seriously. Bush said that 9/11 sparked a War on Terror where "you are either with us, or you are with the terrorists." Iraq wasn't with us...now they are. We just have to stop the milita violence.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 12:56:05 PM »

all intel shows that Saddam Hussien has WMDs

That's an incorrect statement. I'll correct it...

all intel that the Bush Administration chose to follow shows that Saddam Hussien has WMDs
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 12:57:33 PM »

ZING!
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 02:14:29 PM »

ZING!

Yes, Opebo and BRTD we all know how you use pure reason and debate (and not Personal prejudices at all) in debates...

I love that Image. Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 02:37:22 PM »

ZING!

Yes, Opebo and BRTD we all know how you use pure reason and debate (and not Personal prejudices at all) in debates...

Maybe they're Kant fans. Shocked
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 02:41:50 PM »

ZING!

LOL. You think? Really, I had Opebo down as more of a Nietzschean...(Of course BRTD would choose whichever philosophy is fashionable to his strip-club going mates, that goes without saying really.)
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 02:51:06 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2007, 02:56:32 PM by Ship, the Magic Suffix »

ZING!

LOL. You think? Really, I had Opebo down as more of a Nietzschean...
Oh, Nietzsche is more indebted to Kant than he realized. Anyway, I think he's more like Max Stirner.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I doubt they care about philosophy. Wink
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 02:52:59 PM »

When have I used personal prejudice in debate?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies