Will Renzi & Doolittle Resign or not run for reelection?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:12:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will Renzi & Doolittle Resign or not run for reelection?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will Jefferson, Renzi & Doolittle  run for reelection?
Renzi runs Again

Renzi steps down at end of turn

Renzi resigns/is expelled

Doolittle runs Again

Doolittle steps down at end of his term

Doolittle resigns/is expelled

Jefferson runs Again

Jefferson steps down at end of his term

Jefferson resigns/is expelled

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 7

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Will Renzi & Doolittle Resign or not run for reelection?  (Read 1066 times)
socaldem
skolodji

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 22, 2007, 03:10:41 PM »

Until Jefferson or Doolittle are indicted, I don't expect resignations.  If the heat gets much hotter, I could see the House taking action against them.

Personally, I don't see how either Doolittle or Renzi can run for reelection when they have opted to step down from their committee work because of the investigations.  It seems like their opponents--and I believe both will face tough Dem challengers from Charlie Brown and (I hope) State Rep. Ann Kirkpatrick.

If Doolittle steps down or if there is a special election, the GOP would probably be favored to pick it up unless there is a situation a la TX-22 where Doolittle steps down after the filing deadline.  In that situation I think Charlie Brown would be favored over a write-in.

An open seat in AZ-01 would probably favor Democrats.  And if Dems get a good recruit there like the aforementioned state representative, I think that they win anyway.

In New Orleans, I expect Jefferson to again face a spirited primary challenge (if he makes it to 2008) and to lose.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 03:40:55 PM »

Both Renzi and Doolittle will go the way of Cunningham and Ney, resigning probably by the end of 2007 in clouds of scandal. Jefferson will be challenged by a DCCC-endorsed candidate again but win again due to his "corrupt bargain" with the local GOP (and the local opinion that he is a pariah for being black - nonsense, of course).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 03:54:19 PM »

Renzi is no resident of Arizona and certainly *should* be expelled.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 04:05:01 PM »

I expect Renzi, Doolittle and Jefferson all to be gone from Congress sooner or later due to their misdemeanours.  If Renzi and Doolittle run for re-election in 2008, they would both probably lose.  However, it is possible both either resign or are 'caged' before that.  In which case the Republicans would probabyl hold Doolittle's seat and lose Renzi's.  In the case of Jefferson, who unexpectedly survived 2006, I really don't know. 
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 11:19:37 AM »

So Renzi's now resigned from all of his committee work...

And yet he's still in the House?  Shouldn't he just resign from congress altogether!  There's no way someone can resign from all of their committees and run for reelection, is there? 
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 03:19:38 AM »

Per well-connected Democratic blogger Tedski at Rum, Romanism and Rebellion, Renzi is planning to resign within the week...

http://www.rumromanismrebellion.net/

With the WSJ article linking Renzi to the US attorney scandal, with the duel FBI investigations, with his resignation from all congressional committees and his resignation from ROMP--the GOP's incumbent fundraising program--a resignation for Renzi is almost certain.

Tedski reports that experienced State Rep. Ann Kilpatrick and the stunning Apache television broadcaster/native American activist Mary Kim Titla are interested in the race on the Democratic side.

He mentions GOP former state Senate President Ken Bennett on the other side.

I would love to see another gorgeous Democratic woman from Arizona in congress!  That would mean Democrats would have a majority of the AZ house delegation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies