Elections 1972 on!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:05:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Elections 1972 on!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Elections 1972 on!  (Read 17230 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:31:11 PM »

ok I'm going to a scenario with the elections 1972 on.

1972 Presidential Election:

The Democrats:
George McGovern (D-SD)
Ed Muskie (D-ME)
Hubert Humphrey (D-MN)

the Republicans:
Richard Nixon
Paul McCloskey
Nelson Rockefeller
Ronald Reagan

American Independent:
George Wallace
John Schmitz
Lester Maddox

well the nomination process is on for all three parties.  Nixon has a tough battle on his hands to win the Republican nomination.

Iowa caucus: Nixon 48% Rockefeller 30% Reagan 20% and McCloskey 2%.
for the Dems: McGovern 65% Muskie 25% Humphrey 10%.
the AI: Wallace 45% Schmitz 34% Maddox 21%

Nixon says (after the results come in) "Rockefeller might have me on the run."

New Hampshire is up next.  Who's gonna win it in all three parties?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 10:41:33 PM »

Rockefeller runs an ad about Nixon's handling of the war in Vietnam.  It hurts Nixon a littl bit.

New Hampshire resutls:
Reps: Rockefeller 40% Nixon 35% Reagan 20% McCloskey 5%.
Dems: Muskie 48% McGovern 45% Humphrey 7%.
AI: Schmitz 47% Maddox 40% Wallace 13%.

McCloskey drops out of race for Republican nomination.  Humphrey considers dropping out.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 10:52:54 PM »

Mini Tuesday:

Nixon wins AZ, DE, MO, OK and ND. Reagan wins NM and SC.  Rockefeller comes in a close second in all except SC.  Rockefeller drops out for GOP nomination.

Dems: Muskie wins AZ, MO and OK.  McGovern wins SC, NM, DE and ND.
AI:  Wallace wins all except AZ and DE which go to Schmitz.  Maddox drops out.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 11:03:13 PM »

Rockefeller decides to run as an Independent in 1972.  He chooses McCloskey as his running mate.

Nixon wins in Michigan and Washington goes to Reagan.

On the Democratic side, McGovern wins both Michigan and Washington.
In the AI Primaries Schmitz wins Michigan and Wallace wins Washington.

Muskie decides to suspend his campaign and endorse McGovern for the Democratic nomination.

After a few weeks Nixon does very well and Reagan drops out for the nomination for the Republicans.

Now, it's Nixon/Agnew vs. McGovern/?? vs. AI nominee vs. Rockefeller/McCloskey.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 11:07:08 PM »

Wallace ends up winning the AI nomination and chooses Schmitz as his running mate.  McGovern decides to choose Muskie.  Now out of all the four candidates who will win?
Candidates:
Nixon/Agnew
McGovern/Muskie
Wallace/Schmitz
Rockefeller/McCloskey

There are 2 debates scheduled for the Presidential candidates.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 11:33:49 PM »

Maps: (for Primaries):
Dems:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/25/692953/1972%20Dem%20Primaries.GIF

McGovern-red.
Muskie-light blue.

Reps:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/25/692953/Rep%20Primaries%201972%21.GIF

Nixon-green
Reagan-brown.

AI Primaries:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/1/25/692953/AI%20Primaries%201972%21.GIF

Wallace-pink
Schmitz-purple.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 11:36:11 PM »

Polls in the election: Nixon 48% McGovern 40%  Wallace 8% Rockefeller 4%.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 12:16:57 PM »

1- Use the site's EV calc. It's easy and nicer.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 03:21:37 PM »

ok.  i will.  wait what happens if i have more than three ppl wining in a primary though?  jw.
Eleden
oaksmarts

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 03:46:47 PM »

ok.  i will.  wait what happens if i have more than three ppl wining in a primary though?  jw.

You can do one of two things:

Use the 1992 map which includes Perot.  Or save the 2004 map to a file and open it in paint.  Then just color each state according to who won it.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 03:50:09 PM »

You can do one of two things:

Use the 1992 map which includes Perot.  Or save the 2004 map to a file and open it in paint.  Then just color each state according to who won it.

ok.  cool.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 04:04:08 PM »

The first Presidential Debate:

Walter Cronkite (moderator): Hi Everyone and welcome to the first Presidential debate of 1972.  Tonight we have with us, Senator George McGovern, President Richard Nixon, Governor George C. Wallace and Governor Nelson Rockefeller.  ok now let's get started, Mr. President you can answer the first question. Then it will follow in the order of Senator McGovern, Governor Wallace and then Governor Rockefeller.

Mr. President, how do we end the war in Vietnam?

Nixon: Well first I want to say thanks to you Walter for moderating the debate.  Now, as far as ending the war in Vietnam, we need to gradually pull troops out but still keep some there.

McGovern: ok well thanks Mr. President for wanting to debate me.  Second, now we need to get out of Vietnam right now.  It's a must.

Wallace: Thanks for letting me, a third party candidate participate in this Presidential Debate.  Now,  we must get out slowly because if you get out fast then there's trouble.

Rockefeller: Thanks everyone for wanting me to debate you all too.  Now, as far as Vietnam goes, let's get out of there soon.  We had no right to invade their country in the first place.

Cronkite: Second question, goes in opposite order of the first question.  Here's the second question.  How do we get blacks equal rights?

Rockefeller: We need some Government intervention for this.  Blacks have right too and we can't deny them that.

Wallace: Blacks, well they are fine with the Separate but Equal rules.  Let the states decide.

McGovern: Well, we need to help them alot.

Nixon: Leave it up to the states to decide.

Cronkite: Well that's all the time we have gentlemen.  Have a great evening and this is Walter Cronkite.

Now the first debate is over.  The election is a few weeks away.  The numbers are: Nixon 46% McGovern 45% Wallace 8% Rockefeller 1%

Rockefeller considers dropping out of the race for President.  but doesn't yet.  Will he drop out or no?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 04:08:05 PM »

Rockefeller decides to drop out and endorse Nixon.  McCloskey is furious with this decision so he decides to run for President and picks Lester Maddox.  This makes the numbers: Nixon 45% McGovern 40% Wallace 12% McCloskey 3%.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 06:04:16 PM »

McCloskey tries to pick up some support from former Rockefeller supporters.  The 2nd debate is coming up.  McCloskey trys to get himself in the debate and sucedes.

The 2nd debate is now:

Mike Wallace: Hi I'm Mike Wallace, of 60 Minutes, hosting this second Presidential debate.  We have with us tonight, President Nixon, Senator McGovern, Governor Wallace and Representative McCloskey.  Mr. McCloskey let's start with you.  How come you decided to run for President after Rockefeller dropped out?

McCloskey: Well, see, I wanted to keep his message going and I wanted to have my ideas out there too.

Mike Wallace:  Now for the regular questions.  First question, what's happening with our government today in dealing with Watergate?  Mr. President please go first.

Nixon: Well thanks Mr. Wallace for moderating and I want to say that we had nothing to do with Watergate.

McGovern: Thanks Mike for moderating.  Now, Mr. President u and your administration did know something about it because we could hear some people sneaking around and they looked like members of your cabinet.

G. Wallace: Well, the incident is very bad whoever is in involved should be in trouble.

McCloskey: Watergate was a bad thing and we need to figure out who did it.

Mike Wallace: Well thanks for your answers.  Next question is, which one of you could've gotten US forces out of Vietnam better or sooner?

McGovern: Well I would've had us before now.  We need to get out soon.

Nixon: Well, what can I say?  I am President and I have done what I can do.

McCloskey: We would've been out of their a long time ago if I was President.

G. Wallace: We need to get out soon.  But I would've done it over time.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 08:58:12 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2007, 09:00:55 PM by A Liberal Democrat »

red-McGovern
blue-Nixon
green-Wallace.

McCloskey came in 3rd in Idaho.  Other states he came in 4th.  Nixon is re-elected.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 09:44:36 PM »

Ed Muskie announces in December 1972 that he will seek the Democratic nomination in 1976.

The spring of 1973 brings Nixon's second term.  He is under alot of pressure because people kind of have a feeling he had something to do with Watergate.  That fall Spiro Agnew resigns because he was caught not paying his taxes.  Nixon decides to think about who will replace Agnew.  He then decides on Robert Dole of Kansas as the Vice-President.  the Senate approves this nomination 51-49.  the House confirms it 223-212.  Then, on December 15th, 1973, something happens, Vice President Dole is shot.  He is rushed to the hospital.  Everything is fine, in the end but Dole decides to step down as VP leaving it up in the air again as to who will be the VP.  In January 1974 Nixon picks Gerald R. Ford of Michigan as Vice President.  Ford is confirmed by the Senate 55-45.  and by the House 234-201.  By this year it is revealed that Nixon may have had something to do with Watergate.  On August 9th, 1974 Richard Nixon resigns as being the first President to do so.  Gerald Ford becomes President and nominates Nelson Rockefeller as VP.

In 1974...Robert Dole decides to run for the Republican nomination in 1976,
Ronald Reagan jumps in, and President Ford runs too.

On the Democratic side (1973): McGovern decides to run again, Jimmy Carter (a peanut farmer and GA Governor) runs. (1974):Henry "Scoop" Jackson runs.  (1975): Ted Kennedy and Frank Church jump in.

On the GOP side George HW Bush runs as well as John Anderson.

For the AI nomination John Schmitz, Lester Maddox and David Duke all run.

So we have:

GOP 1976:
President Ford
Ronald Reagan
Robert Dole
George HW Bush
John Anderson

Dems 1976:
Ed Muskie
Jimmy Carter
Ted Kennedy
Frank Church
George McGovern
Henry "Scoop" Jackson.

AI 1976:
John Schmitz
David Duke
Lester Maddox

And the race is on to see who will be each parties nominee.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 10:17:37 PM »

Iowa caucuses reporting:

Dems: Muskie 43% Kennedy 40% Carter 12% Church 2% McGovern 1% Jackson 1%.

Reps: Ford 48% Reagan 35% Dole 10% Anderson 5% Bush Sr. 2%.

AI: Schmitz 54% Maddox 41% Duke 5%.

NH polls reporting:

Reps: Ford 49% Reagan 40% Dole 7% Bush Sr. 3% Anderson 1%.

Dems: Kennedy 45% Muskie 40% Jackson 9% Carter 4% McGovern 1% Church 1%.

AI: Schmitz 65% Duke 25% Maddox 10%.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 10:26:10 PM »

On the Republican side John Anderson decides to drop out and endorses Robert Dole.

On the Democratic side Frank Church decides to drop out and endorses Carter.

On Mini Tuesday:

Dems: Kennedy wins AZ, DE, MO, NM and ND. Muskie wins OK.  Carter wins SC.

Reps: Ford wins AZ, DE and MO.  Reagan wins NM, ND and OK.  Dole wins SC.

AI: Schmitz wins AZ, DE, MO, NM and ND.  Maddox wins OK.  Duke wins SC.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 10:45:45 PM »

Kennedy wins Washington and Michigan.  Kennedy goes on to win the Democratic nomination in 1976.  Reagan wins Washington on the Republican side and President Ford wins Michigan.  Ford goes on to win the Republican nomination.  Schmitz wins Michigan and Duke wins Washington.  Schmitz goes on to win the nomination.

Kennedy chooses Henry "Scoop" Jackson as his running mate.  Ford keeps Rockefeller as his running mate.  Schmitz chooses Maddox as his running mate.  So now it's Kennedy/Jackson vs. Ford/Rockefeller vs. Schmitz/Maddox.  Dole considers a third party run.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 10:56:28 PM »

The Dem primaries:

Muskie-green
Kennedy-blue
Carter-purple.

The Reps primaries:

Ford-light blue
Reagan-brown
Dole-pink.

AI primaries:

Schmitz-purple
Duke-brown
Maddox-pink.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 11:35:47 PM »

How did Duke loose the LA Primaries?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 10:27:55 AM »

idk.  sorry.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 10:49:19 AM »

ok the Debates will come soon.

Here's the numbers: Kennedy 48% Ford 40% Schmitz 8% Undecided 4%.
W/O Schmitz: Kennedy 49% Ford 49% Undecided 2%.

Schmitz begins airing an ad which says "Are you tired of voting for the Republicans and the Democrats?  Then why not vote for me." (Paid for by Schmitz/Maddox.)  This gives Schmitz some momentum, by giving him 12% now (with the undecided voters).

There will be two debates with the Presidential candidates and one with the Vice Presidential candidates.

The first Presidential debate will be moderated by Morley Safer.  The second will be moderated by Ted Koppel.  The VP Debate will be moderated by Mike Wallace.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 11:02:16 AM »

Morley Safer: Welcome to the first Presidential Debate of the election 1976.  Tonight we have with us President Ford, Senator Kennedy and Representative Schmitz. Let's start with the President.  then Mr. Kennedy and then Mr. Schmitz.

Mr. President, how do you think you handled the Presidency so far?

Ford: Well first I want to thank you Mr. Safer for moderating this debate and second I want to thank my 2 opponents for challenging me for this debate.  Well, I think I have handled the Presidency very well.  I helped Former President Nixon get us out of Vietnam.  That's all for now.

Safer: ok Senator Kennedy how do you think President Ford has handled his Presidency?

Kennedy: Well first I want to thank you Mr. Safer and I want to thank President Ford and Representative Schmitz for debating me.  Well, as far as Mr. Ford's Presidency is concerned, I think he did a good job up until he pardoned Richard Nixon.  I think that was a bad point and I belive that Mr. Nixon should've been punished for his involvement in Watergate. But this question isn't about Nixon so I just think Mr. Ford has done an alright job except for the pardon.

Safer: ok now Mr. Schmitz.

Schmitz: Well I want to thank you for inviting me, a third party candidate to debate tonight.  I just want to say that I want to be an alternative to Mr. Kennedy and Mr. Ford.  As far as Mr. Ford's handling of hs Presidency I think he's done a good job except for the Pardon and I think he needed to make the minimum wage a little higher which I would do as President.

Safer: ok that's all the time we have.  I want to thank all three candidates for participating in this debate.  Thank you all for watching too.  Have a great night.  This is Morley Safer.  Goodbye.

Well that was the debate.  Now the VP debate comes up next.  (Alot of ppl think that because Nixon was brought up in the debate that Ford lost some support and Kennedy and Schmitz gained some.).
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 11:48:12 AM »

Well, wow, either those debates are running low on funds, cause that's one helluva short debate you got there. One question debate?

Secondly, I highly doubt Schmitz would go into the debates with 4% in polls. Very unlikely.

Third, one tv add that's normal to third parties (whining about the Dems and Reps) won't make you gain 8 points in polls. People think that one good campaign thing makes you go up a billion points. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies