The News Observer: Miller's kickoff on hold
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:33:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The News Observer: Miller's kickoff on hold
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The News Observer: Miller's kickoff on hold  (Read 2150 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2007, 04:50:43 PM »

U.S. Rep. Brad Miller, a Raleigh Democrat, has postponed his re-election kickoff because he is contemplating running against Dole.

"A funny thing happened on the way to my 2008 campaign for re-election to the U.S. House," Miller wrote in an e-mail message to supporters. "So we're postponing the kickoff fundraiser at the Irregardless Cafe, which we had scheduled for April 29, until we know what we're kicking off."

The talk in Democratic circles is that Miller is leaning toward running against Dole.

Miller, a three-term congressman, asks for the advice of his supporters. He says he is happy representing the 13th District, but is clearly intrigued by serving in the Senate.

"I'm disappointed that Senator Dole has simply toed her party's line on almost every issue, and mouthed stale partisan rhetoric, when we have desperately needed leaders in Washington who would ask hard questions and offer practical alternatives," Miller wrote.

(Lisa Zagaroli of The Charlotte Observer contributed to this report.)

http://www.newsobserver.com/659/story/567411.html
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 06:33:36 PM »

In my opinion, Brad Miller has the best chance to become 2008's Jon Tester (populist Democrat running beating an incumbent Republican in a red state).

He is a very likeable candidate who is outspoken about his populist values. He'll relate well to the average Joe.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:28:13 AM »

In my opinion, Brad Miller has the best chance to become 2008's Jon Tester (populist Democrat running beating an incumbent Republican in a red state).

He is a very likeable candidate who is outspoken about his populist values. He'll relate well to the average Joe.

I think he's probably a bit too far to the left to knock off Dole.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 12:46:49 AM »

Sadly that's probably true.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:48:41 AM »

Same thing was said about Tester, and NC is a less conservative state than Montana.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:06:37 AM »

Is he left-wing, or liberal? Being left-wing is not a bad thing in a protectionist, anti-free trade state like North Carolina.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 09:13:50 AM »

Same thing was said about Tester, and NC is a less conservative state than Montana.

Yeah, but Tester was running against an old senile idiot who embarrassed the state.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 09:36:52 AM »

Yeah, but Tester was running against an old senile idiot who embarrassed the state.

Again, same situation.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 10:34:43 AM »

dole wins.
Rococo4

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 06:16:27 PM »

Again, same situation.

Not really.....I dont think Dole has gone around saying stupid things, being implicated in scandals, and insulting fireman.  She might not be the greatest Senator, but Miller woild have to run a hell of a campaign to defrat her in a Presidential Year.  You dont have to like Dole, but I dont think comparing her to Burns is fair.

You could argue Burns would have won in MT if it was a presidential year...though it doesnt matter because it wasnt.  He would have lost in 2000 if it wasnt a presidential year.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 06:17:44 PM »

Again, same situation.

Not really.....I dont think Dole has gone around saying stupid things, being implicated in scandals, and insulting fireman.  She might not be the greatest Senator, but Miller woild have to run a hell of a campaign to defrat her in a Presidential Year.  You dont have to like Dole, but I dont think comparing her to Burns is fair.

You could argue Burns would have won in MT if it was a presidential year...though it doesnt matter because it wasnt.  He would have lost in 2000 if it wasnt a presidential year.

Yeah, Dole is a real joke and I can't stand her but she hasn't made comments like Burns.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 07:39:54 PM »

Yeah, Dole is a real joke and I can't stand her but she hasn't made comments like Burns.

She is nowhere near as senile as Burns, but she has voted with Bush in lockstep on every issue (including the war). NC will be the darkhorse Senate race in 2008 if there is a decent Democrat running.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 10:15:18 PM »

She is nowhere near as senile as Burns, but she has voted with Bush in lockstep on every issue (including the war). NC will be the darkhorse Senate race in 2008 if there is a decent Democrat running.

if bowles couldnt win an open seat in 04, how is miller going to beat an incumbent?

i think bowles is more in line with nc than miller is.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 12:47:45 PM »

if bowles couldnt win an open seat in 04, how is miller going to beat an incumbent?

i think bowles is more in line with nc than miller is.

It would definitely be an uphill struggle for Miller, but the tide is right in the nation.  In 2002 and 2004, the Republicans were insurgent and Bush was popular; 2006 and 2008 look like the reverse. 
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 12:51:35 AM »

I quite agree.  Dole hasn't done anything wrong, but she has been in lockstep with Bush.  She's old, and hasn't made much of a name for herself in the Senate.  I think this seat could swing, under the right circumstances, and it just might take a Dem candidate in the mold of Jon Tester, or Sherrod Brown even.  Yes, vastly different circumstances, but not far out of the realm of possibility.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 01:16:42 AM »

It is possible that I might be living in North Carolina during the 08 election (depending  if and when my parents move (more when than if) my financial situation at the time of the move among other things.

I do see this as a race to watch in 08.  Dole clearly has the advantage, but she won't be able to coast to victory and Miller is a pretty strong candidate.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 04:34:19 AM »

Miller is a pretty strong candidate.

Sure, against Vernon Robinson.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 10:52:34 AM »

Too liberal, what about Bobby Etheridge (despite that one poll I still think he can win)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies