Endangered Senators Go on Fundraising Tour
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:26:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Endangered Senators Go on Fundraising Tour
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Endangered Senators Go on Fundraising Tour  (Read 2194 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2007, 03:08:57 PM »

"The Senate's endangered Republican quartet is on tour -- a nationwide, months-long fundraising road show," reports The Politico.

Sen. John Ensign (R-NV), chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, "said he expects to put together as many as 30 joint fundraising events around the country for the four most vulnerable senators of 2008: Sens. Norm Coleman of Minnesota, Susan Collins of Maine, Gordon Smith of Oregon and John Sununu of New Hampshire."

http://politicalinsider.com/2007/04/endangered_senators_goes_on_fu.html

Interesting that even the NRSC Chairman considers Susan Collins one of the most endangered Republicans up for re-election.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 03:12:59 PM »

The Republicans are already conceding that Collins is vulnerable?  Wow.
Downwinder

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 01:05:17 AM »

I was thinking that Collins wouldn't have a competitive race as well--that talk of her being vulnerable was just static.  Hmmmm....
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 01:19:08 AM »

I was thinking that Collins wouldn't have a competitive race as well--that talk of her being vulnerable was just static.  Hmmmm....

She is clearly the more popular in her state than the others are in their states, and I do think she has the best chance to win out of those four, however she is also facing a very popular Congressman as an opponent.  Easily the strongest Democrat in the state in Tom Allen.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 06:09:30 AM »

She is clearly the more popular in her state than the others are in their states, and I do think she has the best chance to win out of those four, however she is also facing a very popular Congressman as an opponent.  Easily the strongest Democrat in the state in Tom Allen.

People in Rhode Island liked Lincoln Chafee and we all saw what happened to him, I'm starting to think even though Collins is quite well liked that she could be the next moderate New England Republican to get the Chafee treatment.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 01:48:29 PM »

People in Rhode Island liked Lincoln Chafee and we all saw what happened to him, I'm starting to think even though Collins is quite well liked that she could be the next moderate New England Republican to get the Chafee treatment.

Because while New England states aren't willing to elect popular Republican Senators anymore, the most liberal of them all will be wiling to throw out John Kerry in favor of a Republican. Makes perfect sense.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 02:35:57 PM »

Because while New England states aren't willing to elect popular Republican Senators anymore, the most liberal of them all will be wiling to throw out John Kerry in favor of a Republican. Makes perfect sense.

I'm just suggesting that Collins could be kicked out of office becuase of an anti-Republican mood, Also with Kerry I was suggesting him being knocked off in a primary and with the Democrat winning in general, I never said anything about a Republican winning in MA.   
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 02:43:17 PM »

I'm just suggesting that Collins could be kicked out of office becuase of an anti-Republican mood, Also with Kerry I was suggesting him being knocked off in a primary and with the Democrat winning in general, I never said anything about a Republican winning in MA.   

Then why did you compare him to George Allen?

Also as utterly hated as he was by the Democratic base, Lieberman still got 48% in the primary. Does anyone really think Kerry is as unpopular as Lieberman among Democrats? He's not losing the primary, period.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 02:54:07 PM »

Then why did you compare him to George Allen?

Also as utterly hated as he was by the Democratic base, Lieberman still got 48% in the primary. Does anyone really think Kerry is as unpopular as Lieberman among Democrats? He's not losing the primary, period.

Things could change BRTD, Remember was anybody predicting that Lieberman would face a strong challange from within his own party?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 02:56:08 PM »

I was pretty sure that would happen for a long time.

I still don't see how Kerry could be as unpopular as Lieberman, and so far I have yet to receive a single reason of as to why that would happen and there would be massive grassroots movement to toss him out like Lieberman. Do you see tons of people on Kos and DU screaming for Kerry's head like they did with Lieberman?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 03:00:05 PM »

I still don't see how Kerry could be as unpopular as Lieberman, and so far I have yet to receive a single reason of as to why that would happen and there would be massive grassroots movement to toss him out like Lieberman. Do you see tons of people on Kos and DU screaming for Kerry's head like they did with Lieberman?

No but Kerry is garnering medicore approval ratings and with a good part of regerstered MA Democratic voters disapproving of him or wanting him to not run again, I just think he could be in trouble from within his own party. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 03:06:54 PM »

No but Kerry is garnering medicore approval ratings and with a good part of regerstered MA Democratic voters disapproving of him or wanting him to not run again, I just think he could be in trouble from within his own party. 

"A good part" does not equal a majority.

Lieberman was only the 4th Senate incumbent to lose a primary since 1980. Senate incumbents typically just don't lose. It'll take more than "mediocre approval ratings" to toss one out.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 11:17:43 PM »

Lieberman was only the 4th Senate incumbent to lose a primary since 1980.

Is it really that many?  Who were the other three?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 11:21:06 PM »

Lieberman was only the 4th Senate incumbent to lose a primary since 1980.

Is it really that many?  Who were the other three?

I know that Bob Smith is one of them, I'm not sure whpo the other two were.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 11:32:20 PM »

Lieberman lost the Primary because he held the exact opposite views of te vast majority of Democratic voters in the state on what was the most important issue to them.   How does Kerry fit into any of that???
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 09:27:41 AM »

Lieberman lost the Primary because he held the exact opposite views of te vast majority of Democratic voters in the state on what was the most important issue to them.   How does Kerry fit into any of that???

I'm thinking along the lines of people just getting sick of Kerry and wanting somebody new.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 10:45:54 AM »

I'm thinking along the lines of people just getting sick of Kerry and wanting somebody new.

Only if a strong challenger ran
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies