Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 02:20:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 270 271 [272] 273 274 275 276 277 ... 304
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 213299 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6775 on: April 03, 2024, 04:27:25 PM »

Iran to fire directly at Israel from it's own territory?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-bolsters-air-defenses-calls-up-troops-as-israel-braces-for-iranian-retaliation/

"Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has vowed revenge for the Monday strike, and posters parroting his words have gone up around Tehran, in a sign of public pressure for an Iranian response."

Iran have been the elephant in the room the whole time.

Well when you attack someone's embassy, expect a response.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6776 on: April 03, 2024, 05:50:16 PM »

Joe Biden is sacrificing his campaign for Israel

If Joe Biden backed Palestine , he’d absolutely lose the election. Single issue Palestinian voters are far less numerous than people think

He doesn’t have to give them more weapons. 
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #6777 on: April 03, 2024, 06:13:16 PM »

Multiple charities have announced that they're suspending deliveries after the attack on the WCK convoy:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/02/charities-halt-gaza-operations-after-israeli-drones-kill-aid-workers

So I guess that attack worked out as intended.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6778 on: April 03, 2024, 06:46:25 PM »

Multiple charities have announced that they're suspending deliveries after the attack on the WCK convoy:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/02/charities-halt-gaza-operations-after-israeli-drones-kill-aid-workers

Let's not jump the gun and assume that was the intent here. While I do have quite a few issues with how Israel has conducted itself, I doubt that it's official IDF doctrine to target aid workers.

That said, I doubt this was just some random soldier. The order for strikes like this would have to come for middle-ranking officers at the lowest, as would the follow-up strikes, which are far less defensible.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6779 on: April 03, 2024, 06:52:48 PM »

Let's not jump the gun and assume that was the intent here. While I do have quite a few issues with how Israel has conducted itself, I doubt that it's official IDF doctrine to target aid workers.

That said, I doubt this was just some random soldier. The order for strikes like this would have to come for middle-ranking officers at the lowest, as would the follow-up strikes, which are far less defensible.

The fact that it was a drone raises the possibility of an error or even a hack, as well. This was a big enough -up that it's likely Israel will be interested in conducting an investigation, because the country doesn't want any more black eyes like this. This is probably the first time I've seen the Netanyahu government act with anything but belligerence.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6780 on: April 03, 2024, 07:09:52 PM »

Aaron Cohen on Iran

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5RN5RtvSCK/

Israel is not going to wait for Iran to respond. Hezbollah coughing and spluttering is just a sideshow to the main event.

More pre-emptive strikes against Iran to come.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6781 on: April 03, 2024, 07:16:57 PM »

The fact that it was a drone raises the possibility of an error or even a hack, as well. This was a big enough -up that it's likely Israel will be interested in conducting an investigation, because the country doesn't want any more black eyes like this. This is probably the first time I've seen the Netanyahu government act with anything but belligerence.

This is is also true. I personally have my doubts as to the transparency of the investigation and would prefer it be carried out by a third party, but I understand the reasoning.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States
« Reply #6782 on: April 03, 2024, 08:52:20 PM »

4) Going back to Biden, how is the construction of the aid pier going?  It's been almost a month since it was announced and I can't find any news about recent progress.  Have there been any other efforts to get more aid into Gaza, in particular northern Gaza?

The flotilla is on its way (it will take weeks more to arrive), but no details on operational plans have been made public. There were questions from the Senate about security a couple of weeks ago that as far as I can tell haven't been answered. And the US hasn't found an aid group to help with distribution, which is essential to meeting Biden's promise of "no boots on the ground."

In the meantime, CENTCOM has been posting almost daily updates about airdrops delivered in cooperation with the Jordanian Air Force.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #6783 on: April 03, 2024, 09:13:14 PM »

https://www.972mag.com/lavender-ai-israeli-army-gaza/

An incredibly disturbing article about the Israeli government adoption of an artificial intelligence system for targeting suspected Hamas operative with the preference of bombing them in their home; sourced from whistleblowers within the IDF and published by a left-wing Israeli magazine.

The only reason anyone is able to claim the current Israeli campagin is justified is a world view that ascribes the lives of palestiamins zero moral values that's shared amongst much of the American establishment

>
>One source said that when attacking junior operatives, including those marked by AI systems like Lavender, the number of civilians they were allowed to kill alongside each target was fixed during the initial weeks of the war at up to 20. Another source claimed the fixed number was up to 15. These “collateral damage degrees,” as the military calls them, were applied broadly to all suspected junior militants, the sources said, regardless of their rank, military importance, and age, and with no specific case-by-case examination to weigh the military advantage of assassinating them against the expected harm to civilians
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6784 on: April 03, 2024, 10:44:10 PM »

https://www.972mag.com/lavender-ai-israeli-army-gaza/

An incredibly disturbing article about the Israeli government adoption of an artificial intelligence system for targeting suspected Hamas operative with the preference of bombing them in their home; sourced from whistleblowers within the IDF and published by a left-wing Israeli magazine.

The only reason anyone is able to claim the current Israeli campagin is justified is a world view that ascribes the lives of palestiamins zero moral values that's shared amongst much of the American establishment

>
>One source said that when attacking junior operatives, including those marked by AI systems like Lavender, the number of civilians they were allowed to kill alongside each target was fixed during the initial weeks of the war at up to 20. Another source claimed the fixed number was up to 15. These “collateral damage degrees,” as the military calls them, were applied broadly to all suspected junior militants, the sources said, regardless of their rank, military importance, and age, and with no specific case-by-case examination to weigh the military advantage of assassinating them against the expected harm to civilians

Demonic.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #6785 on: April 04, 2024, 02:52:39 AM »

I share your sentiment to some extent, but it's looking VERY bad for Israel here. World Central Kitchen was fully in contact with the IDF, kept them aware of their exact location and travel plans, and their vans were clearly marked on the top with their logo. This seems like Israel intentionally killing aid workers who were working to prevent widespread famine.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #6786 on: April 04, 2024, 03:00:45 AM »

Very reasonable advice, but unfortunately based on the incorrect assumption that the "gun" will go off. Israel won't allow an independent investigation and if the attack was deliberate, their internal investigation will of course "prove" otherwise. So we're left with the publicly available evidence and that, along with Israel's obvious motive (after all, they wanted to block the supply of food to Gaza from the start), points very strongly towards a deliberate attack
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6787 on: April 04, 2024, 05:38:27 AM »

I share your sentiment to some extent, but it's looking VERY bad for Israel here. World Central Kitchen was fully in contact with the IDF, kept them aware of their exact location and travel plans, and their vans were clearly marked on the top with their logo. This seems like Israel intentionally killing aid workers who were working to prevent widespread famine.

It does look like that, yes. Which still doesn't mean it actually *was* - but the onus is now on Israel to show otherwise rather than the other way round.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6788 on: April 04, 2024, 06:44:41 AM »

I would be careful not to conflate “the IDF is deliberately killing aid workers” with “some mid-level or even upper mid-level nutcase went General Jack D. Ripper and unilaterally decided to order an attack on aid workers.”  It’s fairly clear imo that the higher level Israeli political and military leadership are both pretty pissed that this happened.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6789 on: April 04, 2024, 11:55:37 AM »

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6790 on: April 04, 2024, 01:01:02 PM »

Those are actually pretty small munitions in the grand scheme of things - the SDB in particular allows for a Hamas building to be destroyed without taking half a block with it.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6791 on: April 04, 2024, 01:03:22 PM »

Could you see that logo clearly from 1,000 metres up on a B&W drone camera? That's a rather busy logo and I'd have difficulty recognising it at 50 metres.

It's why tactical flashes and roundels are a thing for armed forces the world over.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6792 on: April 04, 2024, 01:49:26 PM »

I would be careful not to conflate “the IDF is deliberately killing aid workers” with “some mid-level or even upper mid-level nutcase went General Jack D. Ripper and unilaterally decided to order an attack on aid workers.”  It’s fairly clear imo that the higher level Israeli political and military leadership are both pretty pissed that this happened.

This is a good point. If this was a high-up decision, Netanyahu wouldn't be apologizing, even meekly. He would be declaring that the aid workers were in league with Hamas and other collaborators should watch their back. This is clearly a PR disaster for them and they're acting like it, whether it was mechanical error or a rogue human.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #6793 on: April 04, 2024, 02:04:36 PM »

the public goodwill from 10/7 is gone at this point. People that were mildly pro-israel before this are turning against them, and that's not only in the US.

Said it before, I'll say it again, fu ck Hamas, fu ck Bibi, stand with civilians, stand with aid workers.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #6794 on: April 04, 2024, 02:15:43 PM »

This is true. I should have been more careful with how high I appeared to assign responsibility in my comment.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6795 on: April 04, 2024, 02:16:24 PM »

Ben Gvir almost got yeeted.

Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6796 on: April 04, 2024, 02:18:36 PM »

Ben Gvir almost got yeeted.

Can't even imagine how bad things would have gotten if this succeeded.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #6797 on: April 04, 2024, 02:19:51 PM »

the public goodwill from 10/7 is gone at this point. People that were mildly pro-israel before this are turning against them, and that's not only in the US.

Said it before, I'll say it again, fu ck Hamas, fu ck Bibi, stand with civilians, stand with aid workers.

I've become increasingly convinced that the happiest day of Bibi's life was 10/7, b/c he saw an incredible opportunity to accomplish two goals he desperately wants: staying in power and the eradication of every human being in Gaza.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #6798 on: April 04, 2024, 04:37:29 PM »

I've become increasingly convinced that the happiest day of Bibi's life was 10/7, b/c he saw an incredible opportunity to accomplish two goals he desperately wants: staying in power and the eradication of every human being in Gaza.

I don't have the energy to go into it, but this is a very big miscalculation of how Bibi works and what he wants. October 7th was not even close to a plus for him staying in power (which is indeed his primary goal and only directive), and he never had any wish to "eradicate everyone in Gaza". He wanted stability and the status quo, and for that reason propping up Hamas worked for him (less pressure for a 2SS). Bibi was pale and panicked on October 7th. It's not that he cares an awful lot for his country, but that day was horrible for him.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #6799 on: April 04, 2024, 04:38:59 PM »

Israeli war cabinet agreed on increasing humanitarian aid to Gaza, hours after the phone call between Netanyahu and Biden. New aid corridor will open on land, and another on the sea. The IDF is conducting an investigation on the WCK attack and several officers already fired. Pressure works.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 270 271 [272] 273 274 275 276 277 ... 304  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies