The Argus Leader: Tim Johnson's two likely 2008 opponents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:13:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Argus Leader: Tim Johnson's two likely 2008 opponents
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Argus Leader: Tim Johnson's two likely 2008 opponents  (Read 1044 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2007, 03:12:44 PM »

By David Kranz
dkranz@argusleader.com
Published: April 27, 2007

Republicans have been in somewhat of a flux since the hospitalization of Sen. Tim Johnson as they try to get movement from possible candidates for those top 2008 races.

There are now at least two Republicans who have gotten to the point where they are weighing their sensitivity to Johnson's illness, but they also recognize they must start exploratory ventures.

Dusty Johnson, first-term Public Utilities Commissioner, and state Rep. Joel Dykstra, R-Canton, are at that point of soul-searching their political futures.

For Johnson, it is a possible U.S. House race. Dykstra contemplates the House and the U.S. Senate.

"It is something I am considering. Any time you have a realistic opportunity to make South Dakota better, you have to take a look," Dusty Johnson says. "The thing for me: Can you be a good congressman and a good father?"

Johnson and his wife, Jacquelyn, have a two-year-old child.

He will talk to folks who know what it is like to balance those factors, ready to hear about the strain it might cause on the family's personal life.

As he sorts out what he will do, Johnson says it isn't a matter of whether or not U.S. Rep. Stephanie Herseth Sandlin is seeking re-election.

"I have tremendous respect for Rep. Herseth Sandlin, but this is not about her. It is tough to sit on the sidelines as we deal with security and economic issues. It would be an opportunity for me to make a difference," Johnson said.

Rep. Joel Dykstra is opening the door to a possible U.S. Senate campaign regardless of what Johnson decides to do.

"I would say a race against Johnson is a possibility. Frankly, I am exploring options for 2008. It may be the Senate, may be the House, and I am actively testing the waters. Frankly, the Republicans need a canddate, and Sen. Johnson needs an opponent in any event. So you have to make the assumption," Dykstra said.

As for a U.S. House bid, that is also a consideration for him.

Some Republicans have assumed that Dykstra's interest in a national office takes him out of the state legislative picture.

Not so, says Dykstra.

"It is premature to assume I won't be running for majority leader in the state Legislature," he said.

That situation could present itself since Rep. Larry Rhoden, the current majority leader, is term-limited.
Gonzales spotlight

Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez again put South Dakota in the spotlight last week when he testified during a congressional hearing regarding the controversy surrounding dismissals of eight U.S. Attorneys.

While testifying, the embattled Gonzales made mention of the situation in South Dakota as one reason why he wanted to change the law.

He noted that there was a problem in South Dakota where a judge wanted to appoint an interim to U.S. Attorney to replace "somebody who we had concerns about."

The local situation revolved around replacing acting U.S. Attorney Michelle Tapken, who was serving in that capacity after James McMahon left the job to enter private practice.

Federal Judge Lawrence Piersol moved to appoint former Attorney General Mark Meierhenry, a Republican, to the job.

Piersol's choice of Meierhenry was announced after the U.S. Department of Justice asked that he extend Tapken's term.

The process dragged on for several months, culminating when the Department of Justice intervened with a recess appointment of Steven Mullins of Oklahoma to fill the job. Eventually, Marty Jackley of Rapid City was nominated by Sen. John Thune.

It is now said that this situation resulted in the successful effort to put new language in the Patriot Act.
Lobbying bill

Mark Roby, publisher of the Watertown Public Opinion, thoroughly analyzed the recent tech school issue in the 2007 South Dakota State Legislature in a recent column.

"For more than four years now, our Watertown School Board and LATI administration have approved spending about $25,000 per year, when matched by the other tech schools, totaled more than $100,000 per year for a lobbyist charged with finding a solution to chronic funding problems. The lobbyist, Mitch Richter, is a former Sioux Falls Legislator," Roby wrote.

The bill that would transfer governance of the schools to the new board and regional boards passed the Legislature, but Gov. Mike Rounds vetoed it.

Secretary of State Chris Nelson says there is no requirement for lobbyists to report their salaries to his office .Richter did not respond to several attempted phone calls.

David Kranz's column appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Call him at 331-2302 or write to him at the Argus Leader, Box 5034, Sioux Falls, SD 57117-5034.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070427/COLUMNISTS0102/704270315/1160/COLUMNISTS
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 09:00:13 AM »

obviously i think johnson has to go.

but the sympathy vote may pull him through.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 10:46:36 AM »

Along with his 70% approval rating.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »

Along with his 70% approval rating.

He almost lost last time with a 70% approval rating.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 02:28:18 PM »

He almost lost last time with a 70% approval rating.

Although that was against Thune, probably a stronger candidate than Rep. Whomever (R-Canton) and Commissioner of Something Someone (R-Pierre).  Even a year out, it looks unlikely that 2008 is going to be much like 2002, anyway.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »

A high approval rating may sometimes not be enough to guarantee re-election if the person's state generally pivots to the opposite political party.  Gov. Bob Ehrlich would be one example.

But to fair, South Dakota seems more divided along a Republican west and a Democratic east in local elections.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 10:43:45 AM »

A high approval rating may sometimes not be enough to guarantee re-election if the person's state generally pivots to the opposite political party.  Gov. Bob Ehrlich would be one example.

Yeah, this numbers were just amazing:

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies