Nixon vs Humphrey 1960
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:09:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Nixon vs Humphrey 1960
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nixon vs Humphrey 1960  (Read 1866 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2007, 09:48:32 PM »

In 1960, Minnesota Senator Hubert H. Humphrey defeats Massachusetts Senator John F. Kennedy and Texas Senator and Senate Majority Leader Lyndon B. Johnson  to win the Democratic Presidential nomination.

(Humphrey was in fact a major candidate for the nomination in 1960)

Humphrey selects well respected and experienced Senator Stuart Symington of Missouri as his running mate.

Humphrey and Symington face off against Republicans Vice President Richard M. Nixon and former Massachusetts Senator and U.N. Ambassador Henry Cabot Lodge.

Does the "Happy Warrior" from Minnesota defeat the consumate politician from California?

How would the election turn out?  Maps?

bbt
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 10:57:56 AM »

Humphrey didnt excite the voters in '68 and I doubt seriously he would have done so in '60.  In this match up, Nixon becomes the 35th President of the US rather than the 37th............fairly easily
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 03:19:21 PM »

My simulations run about 50/50... Sometimes Nixon wins and sometimes Humphrey wins...

All things considered, I still vote for my idol, but I don't think he could win.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 03:34:04 PM »

Nixon wins. HHH is a decent politician however, picture it like Reagan running in 1976 - the wrong message at the wrong time. HHH became more suited after the LBJ years (Great Society, Vietnam, etc) thus the public eye would have viewed him as too liberal and out of touch in 1960.
johnpressman
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 01:23:30 PM »

Humphrey would have defeated Nixon in 1960, especially if he had chosen LBJ as his Vice Presidential choice.  A Humphrey-Symington ticket would have had a more difficult time as,  both being Midwesterners, their political bases overlap.

By all accounts, 1960 was to be a Democratic year.  The GOP was in disarray and the American public was ready for a new face to lead them out of the post-war world.  I believe the only reason for the closeness of the 1960 race was Kennedy's Catholicism.  If not for adding LBJ to hold Texas and many crucial Southern and Border states, Nixon would have won.  Humphrey, unburdened by the religous issue, would have captured the Northeast, broke even in the Midwest, lost the Western states, but would have lost the South without LBJ on the ticket due to his pro Civil Rights stance.  To sum it up; Humphrey/Symington wins a close one, Humphrey/Johnson cruises to victory in 1960!
Tutankhuman Bakari Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 11:28:37 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States