Lampson Considers Senate Bid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:34:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Lampson Considers Senate Bid
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lampson Considers Senate Bid  (Read 1455 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2007, 10:19:36 AM »

Rep. Nick Lampson (D-TX) is "giving serious consideration to entering the U.S. Senate race against Republican incumbent John Cornyn," reports the Houston Chronicle.

"Lampson's jaunt last weekend to San Antonio to mingle with donors at a fundraiser for the national Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee hasn't done anything to discourage the speculation -- particularly since he underwent major heart surgery less than a month before and has yet to resume a full work schedule."

"The calculus is fairly simple, several Democratic strategists say: Lampson faces a battle to hold on to his House seat, and, since he'll have to raise millions of dollars anyway, he might as well go for the brass ring."

http://politicalinsider.com/2007/04/lampson_considers_senate_bid.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »

He has a much better shot at hanging on to his House seat but hey, if he wants to give us a guaranteed pickup, go right ahead.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 10:57:31 AM »

The House seat is going to be so hard to hold onto, I think running for the Senate is the right move. 

Granted, the Senate seat would not be easy either, but Lampson should have strong appeal in east Texas, which would probably push him to 45%.  Of course, it's getting that last 4%-5% that has been near impossible for Democrats since 1994 , but that's also quite obvious.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 11:04:26 AM »

I hope he runs for the Senate. He probably has a better chance at winning that seat than he would his House seat at this point.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 11:26:59 AM »

I hope former Houston at-large councilman Gordon Quong runs for TX-22.  I think he'd have a better shot than Lampson, actually.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 12:04:32 PM »

He has a much better shot at hanging on to his House seat

Not really.

but hey, if he wants to give us a guaranteed pickup, go right ahead.

You're going to take it anyway.

I've been saying this is what he should do.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 12:27:22 PM »

He definately has a better shot at holding onto the House seat than winning the Senate seat.  If a popular Dem like Ron Kirk couldnt beat Cornyn in an open seat race, I don't see Lampson beating him as an incumbent.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 01:07:10 PM »

But Cornyn is pretty run down at this point, and could be brought down a few notches.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 02:34:09 PM »

Either way, Lampson is doomed.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 03:13:55 PM »

The House seat is going to be so hard to hold onto, I think running for the Senate is the right move. 

Granted, the Senate seat would not be easy either, but Lampson should have strong appeal in east Texas, which would probably push him to 45%.  Of course, it's getting that last 4%-5% that has been near impossible for Democrats since 1994 , but that's also quite obvious.

I agree 100%... Since Cuellar obviously wont run for the US Senate... Would be nice if he ran for Governor in 2010..

I think the 2010 gubernatorial race could be the first seriously contested election in Texas in years.  That's obviously not definite, but the Democrats could actually have a good, competetive candidate such as Cuellar or John Sharp.  The governorship is also easier to win than a Senate seat.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 08:48:45 AM »

What about Barbara Ann Radnofsky?  Wasn't 2006 just supposed to be her warm up round for 2008?  I thought she was the favored nominee for this race.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 12:16:26 PM »

He definately has a better shot at holding onto the House seat than winning the Senate seat.  If a popular Dem like Ron Kirk couldnt beat Cornyn in an open seat race, I don't see Lampson beating him as an incumbent.

Ron Kirk = popular Dem.  I don't think so, except in urban Dallas.  Ron Kirk was lucky to reach the 43% he did, only because of the mammoth turnout the combo of Tony Sanchez and Henry Cuellar was able to get out of the border counties in that election.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 12:17:18 PM »

What about Barbara Ann Radnofsky?  Wasn't 2006 just supposed to be her warm up round for 2008?  I thought she was the favored nominee for this race.

She is, unless someone else takes a shot.  She'll lose though - won't be close.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 01:30:56 PM »

I wonder what idiots in the DSCC actually wasted money and time on that race actually believing a black Democrat would win in Texas.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 02:11:24 PM »

I wonder what idiots in the DSCC actually wasted money and time on that race actually believing a black Democrat would win in Texas.

I don't think that's why Kirk lost.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 07:30:47 PM »

I know huh. It's like saying a black Democrat would win in Alabama.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies