Blair to announce resignation next week
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:01:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Blair to announce resignation next week
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Blair to announce resignation next week  (Read 2238 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2007, 11:53:54 AM »

Finally! (a BBC article may be found here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6610623.stm).

He had to wait until the decade didn't he?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 12:00:11 PM »

Finally yes. Time for change.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 12:07:04 PM »

... for the worse.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »

Tony Tony Tony! Gone Gone Gone!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 12:40:27 PM »

If Bono thinks it'll be a change for the worse, it must be a change for the better... Yay!

In all seriousness though, it's not been good for politics in general to have the same man at the top for a decade. In certain respects, politics here has been parodying itself for the last few years...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 01:00:18 PM »

''Rejoice!'' Grin
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 01:01:39 PM »

I thought it was "rejoice, rejoice, rejoice" or am I misremembering things? Wink
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 01:12:07 PM »

I thought it was "rejoice, rejoice, rejoice" or am I misremembering things? Wink

I didn't want to over egg the pudding Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 01:18:15 PM »

In all seriousness though, it's not been good for politics in general to have the same man at the top for a decade.

Agreed.  It will be sad to see Tony go, but new blood is needed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 06:23:19 PM »

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to Gordon Brown...or is he actually going to get a serious leadership challenge?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 06:29:18 PM »

In certain respects, politics here has been parodying itself for the last few years...

I sometimes change the channel to CSPAN when they show the British parliment, mainly because it is so funny. I like how they are always yelling. Tongue
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 06:35:26 PM »

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to Gordon Brown...or is he actually going to get a serious leadership challenge?

Of course he won't; what Gordon wants, Gordon gets.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 12:52:18 AM »

Truely a great man, wanted what's best for Britain

It is rather time to move on, hopefully Brown won't even have time to redecorate number 10 with Soviet art before Cameron kicks the door down.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 01:31:38 AM »

If Bono thinks it'll be a change for the worse, it must be a change for the better... Yay!

In all seriousness though, it's not been good for politics in general to have the same man at the top for a decade. In certain respects, politics here has been parodying itself for the last few years...

Oh, don't get me wrong, I hate Blair with a passion. However, Gordon Brown will be much worse--except in EU issues where I think he's more eusoskeptic.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 06:14:44 AM »

In all seriousness though, it's not been good for politics in general to have the same man at the top for a decade.

Agreed.  It will be sad to see Tony go, but new blood is needed.

...tell me about it. I am SO very, very sick of Howard. I've never been a massive Rudd fan, but i've gone from enthused to neutral on him. That said, Rudd to Howard is like ...well... hmmn. Maybe Blair to Major? Either way, an improvement but certainly nothing to rejoice at.

It'll be good to have the anglosphere lead by newbies as of about 2009-whether that be Brown or Cameron in the UK, whoever takes over after Harper in Canada, Costello or Rudd here, and ? in New Zealand. That said, Helen can stay for a little longer if she has to.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 08:15:49 AM »

I'm not exactly thrilled about Brown either. People in the U.K. want change and Blair II won't be able to deliver that. I want David Cameron to win the next election.

The Environment Secretary David Miliband was the most talked about potential challenger. But from what I've read he is going to pass for now but may challenge Brown next year if it looks like Brown will lead Labour to a big defeat in '09/'10.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 11:04:41 AM »

or is he actually going to get a serious leadership challenge?

No. He's been running for leader for a long time now and has successfully destroyed, neutralised or brought onside all possible serious rivals. If he gets a challenge it will likely be from the Hard Left (either McDonnell or Meacher).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2007, 06:11:52 AM »

I'm not exactly thrilled about Brown either. People in the U.K. want change and Blair II won't be able to deliver that. I want David Cameron to win the next election.

The Environment Secretary David Miliband was the most talked about potential challenger. But from what I've read he is going to pass for now but may challenge Brown next year if it looks like Brown will lead Labour to a big defeat in '09/'10.
That *would* be Blair II.
Angel of Death
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 12:28:24 PM »

Good riddance. If hell exists, then there's a special place reserved for him there. The odds are good that Iraq wouldn't have happened without him.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 01:00:40 PM »

The odds are good that Iraq wouldn't have happened without him.

Rubbish; it would have happend no matter who was the British P.M. Britain is no longer a world power in it's own right and it's time for that particular delusion to end.
Now, as far as British involvement goes it's more complicated.
Angel of Death
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 02:15:26 PM »

You misunderstand me. Blair served as an alibi for the Bush administration to justify their war of aggression. How do you think it would have looked if "staunch ally" Britain opposed the war?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 08:08:51 AM »

You misunderstand me. Blair served as an alibi for the Bush administration to justify their war of aggression. How do you think it would have looked if "staunch ally" Britain opposed the war?
There'd still have been a measure of support (not exactly wholehearted, but there nonetheless) from "New Europe", plus the most corrupt man on the planet governing Italy,  plus the basqueeater in Spain.
Don't think the American media doesn't have just as many negative stereotypes to use about the Brits as it has about the French.

But Blair certainly tied himself way way way too closely to the Bush admin there, way more closely than he needed to. Apparently because he felt he could influence these people. Colin Powell shared the same mad delusion.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies