John Schmitz in 1972
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:44:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  John Schmitz in 1972
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Schmitz in 1972  (Read 1833 times)
Galactic Overlord

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »

I was looking over the 1972 presidential race, and I noticed that American Independent Party candidate John Schmitz, an uber conservative who used to serve in Congress, captured 5% of the vote in my home state of Louisiana. He didn't do this well in the rest of the south, and all his higher percentages were out west (natch, he was from California). Anyone have any sense of why this might be?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 03:26:52 PM »

I was looking over the 1972 presidential race, and I noticed that American Independent Party candidate John Schmitz, an uber conservative who used to serve in Congress, captured 5% of the vote in my home state of Louisiana. He didn't do this well in the rest of the south, and all his higher percentages were out west (natch, he was from California). Anyone have any sense of why this might be?

Another question, who did he take votes away from?

His politics could best be discribed as Fascist. His appeal was mostly to the west as a son and it was a very conservative area (Take into account populations as well).

Your second question... Nobody... His voters would be too conservative to consider Nixon, and if that was the case, you could forget them voting for McGovern.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:13:49 PM »

Yeah, think John Birch society and you'll get Schimtz's ideology, more or less.  He took ultra-conservative voters away from Nixon.  Despite being nominated by George Wallace's party he didn't have much appeal in the south.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 07:10:02 PM »

Schmitz was so conservative he was kicked out of the John Birch Society! So, he may actually make Franco look moderate.

When asked if he supported President Nixon going to China, Schmitz replied, "I didn't care that Nixon went to China, I was only upset that eh came back."
gorkay

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 05:22:29 PM »

Schmitz was so conservative he was kicked out of the John Birch Society! So, he may actually make Franco look moderate.

When asked if he supported President Nixon going to China, Schmitz replied, "I didn't care that Nixon went to China, I was only upset that eh came back."

I finally found something that I agree with John Schmitz about.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies