2004 Presidential Results of the wealthiest county in each state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:50:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2004 Presidential Results of the wealthiest county in each state
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2004 Presidential Results of the wealthiest county in each state  (Read 19754 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 02:16:35 PM »

Funny that Blaine is the only county in Idaho I believe that voted Dem and it is the richest

It's a ski resort county.  The same thing also happened with Wyoming (Jackson).  Ski counties were also the top income earners in Colorado (Pitkin) and Utah (Summit).

Isn't Wyoming actually Teton County? (Jackson is the city)

Anyhow, in addition to being the top income earners, they were also the most Democratic in Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah, with Pitkin being Colorado's third most Democratic county.

Sorry, yeah.

Ski areas tend to have high PCIs because they tend to have a lot of fairly well-off singles.

Although areas with a lot of singles tend to vote Democratic, correlation does not imply causation--why do ski areas vote heavily Democratic?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 02:20:46 PM »

Although it would take a while to find the data, I'd be interested in seeing a map of the results of the best-educated county in each state. I'd bet that the vast majority of states would have their best-educated county be much more Democratic than the state at-large.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 04:14:51 PM »

Although areas with a lot of singles tend to vote Democratic, correlation does not imply causation--why do ski areas vote heavily Democratic?

Young, well-educated single people in the service industry are heavily Democratic anywhere.  And they tend to be socially liberal, unsurprising considering the culture of these areas.

Although it would take a while to find the data, I'd be interested in seeing a map of the results of the best-educated county in each state. I'd bet that the vast majority of states would have their best-educated county be much more Democratic than the state at-large.

Bachelor's degree?  Grad degree?  What?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 04:52:27 PM »

Bachelor's degree?  Grad degree?  What?

Either one would suffice. Do you know of any sites that have educational attainment by county? (I know the census does, but I can't find a list of all counties in a state on one page.)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 03:41:50 AM »

This information is way harder to find than it should be.  All I can find includes counties of an unspecified size or larger...
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007, 03:07:20 PM »

Is there even a list of the top well-educated counties in the U.S. by Bachelor's Degree?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 06:06:14 PM »

Is there even a list of the top well-educated counties in the U.S. by Bachelor's Degree?

Yeah, that's what I found.  But it was only of counties of a certain population.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2007, 06:39:04 PM »

Yeah, that's what I found.  But it was only of counties of a certain population.

If you could please link it here, that would be great.

--------

Page 8 of this site shows a U.S. educational attainment (Bach. degree) map by county. I tried for a few states to note the counties with the highest shading, and then look up the exact numbers for each county in American FactFinder, but that can be a bit difficult for states such as Colorado, where 15 counties have the highest shading.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2007, 06:56:05 PM »

If you could please link it here, that would be great.

--------

Page 8 of this site shows a U.S. educational attainment (Bach. degree) map by county. I tried for a few states to note the counties with the highest shading, and then look up the exact numbers for each county in American FactFinder, but that can be a bit difficult for states such as Colorado, where 15 counties have the highest shading.

http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Products/Ranking/2002/R02T050.htm

As you can see, there's a lot of counties missing.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2007, 09:03:50 PM »

Does anywhere on the census show the fastest-growing county of each state, or show all counties' growth of each state? I'm looking for 2000-2006 rankings. I'd like to make these maps regarding the fastest-growing county of each state. I'm sure blue would dominate, but I was hoping that some states would have their fastest-growing county be more Democratic than the state.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2007, 09:24:50 PM »

Does anywhere on the census show the fastest-growing county of each state, or show all counties' growth of each state? I'm looking for 2000-2006 rankings. I'd like to make these maps regarding the fastest-growing county of each state. I'm sure blue would dominate, but I was hoping that some states would have their fastest-growing county be more Democratic than the state.

The county estimate data is at http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/. The tables (selected at right on that page) give spreadsheets for all counties in each state for population totals, cumulative change, and annual change.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2007, 04:34:56 PM »

Of states with counties appearing in the top 100

Image Link

Sad, sad news for the Democrats, in some respects.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2007, 05:15:41 PM »

Looks like of the top 100 fastest counties, the only ones to vote for Kerry were St. Lucie County (FL), Clark County (NV), and Hoke County (NC). Does anybody know why these counties vote Democratic?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2007, 05:30:13 PM »

Looks like of the top 100 fastest counties, the only ones to vote for Kerry were St. Lucie County (FL), Clark County (NV), and Hoke County (NC). Does anybody know why these counties vote Democratic?

St. Lucie, FL - As far as I can tell, it's not at all affluent - at least it wasn't before the population boom.  Seems to be standard, south Florida not-so-well-to-do whites.

Clark, NV - Las Vegas.  I can elaborate if you want, but you get the idea.

Hoke, NC - Blacks, Indians and some poor whites
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2007, 05:54:06 PM »

This has Hennepin as the wealthiest in Minnesota, which shows how misleading and skewed this data can be. The very wealthy parts of Hennepin that drive those numbers up vote Republican, and there are plenty of parts of it that aren't exactly wealthy.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2007, 05:57:43 PM »

This has Hennepin as the wealthiest in Minnesota, which shows how misleading and skewed this data can be. The very wealthy parts of Hennepin that drive those numbers up vote Republican, and there are plenty of parts of it that aren't exactly wealthy.

How is that misleading?

It has poor parts, it has wealthy parts.  Overall, the median is wealthy.

It's presenting what it says.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2007, 06:05:22 PM »

Because it's not the wealthy parts that make it vote Democratic.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2007, 06:31:54 PM »

Because it's not the wealthy parts that make it vote Democratic.

The median voter is probably wealthier than in any county.

The median voter in the county is a Democrat.

Unless you think that the poor cast more votes than the wealthy, even though the wealthy are more of the county...that doesn't entirely make sense.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2007, 06:37:17 PM »

Take a look at this place. It voted 65% Bush: http://www.city-data.com/city/Corcoran-Minnesota.html

How do you think the poor parts of Minneapolis vote?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2007, 06:43:25 PM »

Take a look at this place. It voted 65% Bush: http://www.city-data.com/city/Corcoran-Minnesota.html

How do you think the poor parts of Minneapolis vote?

Fascinating.

But does not negate my point.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2007, 09:10:23 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2007, 09:12:34 PM by nclib »

The county estimate data is at http://www.census.gov/popest/counties/. The tables (selected at right on that page) give spreadsheets for all counties in each state for population totals, cumulative change, and annual change.

Good site.

I added to Alcon's map of the fastest-growing county in each state, and yes it is pretty depressing.

Also, the only states where the fastest-growing county is more Democratic (or less Republican) than the state, are Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Massachusetts, and Montana.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2007, 09:10:46 PM »

Good site.

I added to Alcon's map of the fastest-growing county in each state, and yes it is pretty depressing.

Also, the only states where the fastest-growing county is more Democratic (or less Republican) than the state, are Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii, Kansas, Massachusetts, and Montana.

What might also be interesting, is a map each state's fastest growing county and if its become more or less Republican since 2000...that might yield a much different result
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2008, 08:34:07 PM »

bump for 2008 results

It will be interesting to see the results for the wealthiest, densest, fastest-growing, etc. county in each state.

This is for fastest-growing county in each state:

Image Link

The fastest-growing county in each state was more Republican than its state in all states except Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, Virginia, and West Virginia.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2008, 04:21:54 AM »

bump for 2008 results

It will be interesting to see the results for the wealthiest, densest, fastest-growing, etc. county in each state.

Image Link

The fastest-growing county in each state was more Republican than its state in all states except Hawaii, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, Virginia, and West Virginia.

It be best to make a different thread for 2008 info.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2008, 09:50:56 PM »

bump for 2008 results

Image Link

It be best to make a different thread for 2008 info.

Okay. Will do.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies