Russian legislative "elections", 2007
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:55:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russian legislative "elections", 2007
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Russian legislative "elections", 2007  (Read 10257 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2007, 05:40:55 AM »

I had heard he was planning on greatly increasing the power of the PM before he left office next year. And isn't he backing some random schmuck for President who'd basically make the perfect puppet? I think we've figured out his little plan.

1. So far Putin hasn't officially backed someone for the presidency. Yesterday, I read somewhere that "United Russia" is planning to endorse a presidential candidate on December 17. In the last weeks and months, most bets were on current PM Zubkov, who was a totally unknown and obscure figure until he was appointed prime minister by Putin a few months ago. With 66 years, Zubkov is also considered to be relatively old (which actually makes it more likely for him to be Putin's stooge/successor... weird country).

Yea, that's the guy I was thinking of.

Yes, but prior to Zubkov's rather surprising ascension to the premiership, everyone had assumed that either Ivanov or Medvedev would become Putin's succesor. So, Zubkov will become Russia's next president... unless Putin changes his mind again. Assessing what Russia's current leadership has in mind is almost as hard as during the old Soviet days.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »

One other interesting "result": In addition to 99% of people in Chechnya voting, 99% voted for United Russia. Isn't that a little odd considering Putin's whole "Let's bomb the Chechens!" campaigns?

Voting and voted should be " " as well.

And if by "a little odd" you mean "almost dead on proof that this "election" was a farce", yeah, I'd agree.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2007, 01:07:19 PM »

Sarkozy congratulates Putin on election victory:

http://thenews.jang.com.pk/updates.asp?id=33282

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071204/tpl-uk-russia-vote-eu-87aac06_1.html
danny
Israel

« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2007, 02:54:04 PM »

One other interesting "result": In addition to 99% of people in Chechnya voting, 99% voted for United Russia. Isn't that a little odd considering Putin's whole "Let's bomb the Chechens!" campaigns?

I thought that Putin would at least try to hide the rigging, this makes it completely obvious.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2007, 05:12:18 PM »

I thought that Putin would at least try to hide the rigging, this makes it completely obvious.

Chechnya is not really under Putin's direct control - Russia is merely providing a military occupation force in support of a local goon.  Furthermore, a manifestation of force is essential there: you can either "get" 99% there, or nothing.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2007, 06:22:16 AM »

Chechnya is not really under Putin's direct control - Russia is merely providing a military occupation force in support of a local goon.  Furthermore, a manifestation of force is essential there: you can either "get" 99% there, or nothing.

Same difference.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2007, 11:34:11 AM »

Heard a new rumour concerning Putin's political future today: Russia and Belarus will form a union soon and Putin becomes the leader of that new entity.

Sounds a bit far-fetched but this is what was reported in some German newspapers today.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2007, 12:12:51 PM »

Heard a new rumour concerning Putin's political future today: Russia and Belarus will form a union soon and Putin becomes the leader of that new entity.

Sounds a bit far-fetched but this is what was reported in some German newspapers today.

The Russian-Belarussian Union stories have been out there a while, but I thought they had stalled because Lukashenko had put down unpalatable conditions on the deal?  Maybe he backed down.

In any event, it this happens, it will be one of the EU's first major external crises.  With Russia once again swallowing Belarus, the Baltic states will be very lonely up there, all but surrounded by Russia.  Considering the provocations Russia has already engaged in toward Estonia this year, the question becomes, will the EU stand up for its Baltic members?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2007, 06:05:48 PM »

Good article from the LRofB here, even if told from a very left wing perspective and a year out of date on Modern Russia (caution: Long). I'm posting it here as it will hopefully get some attention as it will get none on the articles board.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v29/n02/ande01_.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies