Abdullah Gul Elected President of Turkey
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:08:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Abdullah Gul Elected President of Turkey
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Abdullah Gul Elected President of Turkey  (Read 3322 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 28, 2007, 10:08:53 PM »

Abdullah Gul, former foreign minister in Recep Tayyip Erdogan's cabinet, has won the Presidential election in Turkey and no complaints concerning the electoral procedure or the election itself have been put forward by any of the opposition groups. His election was almost assured once the Nationalist Movement Party, a far-right nationalist group that was able to pass the 10% threshold in the recent elections, said that they would not boycott the ballot and thus would provide the election with the necessary quorum of electors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_presidential_election%2C_2007

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/08/28/asia/turkey.php

I chose the International Herald Tribune article since it seemed to be the least biased and most informative. Most media, especially the American media, just seems to be shouting "Islamist" at the top of their lungs and making dire predictions about Turkey's "Islamist future".
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 10:27:09 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2007, 10:31:41 PM by ag »

Just so that you have smthg to compare with, here is the article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/29/world/europe/29turkey.html?ref=world

Given that IHT is just a subsidiary of NYT, you shouldn't be surprized to see the same authors. I am sure the editing is somewhat different. On the first reading, it doesn't look that particularly different, though.

In other words, before you say "American media this" or "American media that" make sure you simply read a good newspaper, whatever its editorial address. The newspaper of record in the US is the NYTimes.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 11:54:42 PM »
« Edited: August 28, 2007, 11:56:29 PM by President Colin Wixted »

In other words, before you say "American media this" or "American media that" make sure you simply read a good newspaper, whatever its editorial address. The newspaper of record in the US is the NYTimes.

Well I was mostly considering the Washington Post article, which is headlined "Islamic-Rooted President Wins in Turkey" and an extremely simplistic headline, and article, by Time headlined "Is Turkey Headed For an 'Islamist' Future?". As for the NY Times article that you picked up I must have missed it when looking for an article on the election. Personally I would have put an article from my preferred news source, The Economist, however they wont have an article until their next edition comes out.

Also if I can't rant on a political forum where the hell else am I going to it? Stand on a street corner yelling at people? That doesn't seem like a good option both for my sanity and for other people's benefit.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 07:38:42 AM »

Also if I can't rant on a political forum where the hell else am I going to it? Stand on a street corner yelling at people? That doesn't seem like a good option both for my sanity and for other people's benefit.

It worked for Fred Phelps Smiley Now everyone pays attention to him, no matter how stupid his point of view.

I agree with you on the Islamist issues - its very unlikely Gul would make any moves that would undermime the constitution and irritate the army. All that is happening is that the central, rural areas of Turkey are, within a democratic system, making their voice heard over the more westernised urban coastal areas and Ankara. There is, unfortunately and 'elitism' amongst many of the educated liberal secularists that they really have to reign in if they want to form an effective vocal opposition. I wouldn't worry just yet - but it's best to keep an eye on the current administration and only seek to intervene under the most dire of circumstances (which is pretty unlikely anyway)
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »

You can, of course, rant. But, please, be consistent: if you choose to rant about "American media", don't pick an American newspaper as your example of fair reporting.  IHT is, first and foremost, an American newspaper - which just happens to be published in Paris and so the editors choose to cut out most domestic news. It is not exactly an abbreviated version of the NYTimes, but it is close.  And, let me be frank, the quality of American newspapers is by far superior to that of their English (or, for that matter, Spanish, if I am to consider the other language I regularly read the newspapers in) counterparts (of course, I am not talking of USA today).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »

Back to topic... delightful news!
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 04:38:07 PM »

Care to elaborate? Delightful news because it was a fair election that reflect voters views?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 09:11:11 PM »

Care to elaborate? Delightful news because it was a fair election that reflect voters views?

Yes, and because the moderate, reformist candidate ended up winning.  There's nothing wrong with a candidate whose wife wears a headscarf.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 09:39:59 AM »

Good.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies