Democrats Look to Cooper to Challenge Dole
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 09:35:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Democrats Look to Cooper to Challenge Dole
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats Look to Cooper to Challenge Dole  (Read 1216 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2007, 03:58:12 PM »

Many "Democrats in North Carolina and Washington, D.C., are beginning to zero in on state Attorney General Roy Cooper (D) as a particularly strong pick" to challenge Sen. Elizabeth Dole (R-NC) and "are urging him to enter the race," according to Roll Call.

Other possibilities include Rep. Brad Miller, Gov. Mike Easley, former Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Hugh Shelton, state Sen. Kay Hagan and state Rep. Grier Martin -- "though Easley is unlikely to run."

http://politicalinsider.com/
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 04:44:02 PM »

Uh, yeah, good for the GOP otherwise that's another seat we'd likely lose.

Oh, wait. I can't say that. Apparently, when I (yes, me of all people) do so, I am labeled a RINO.  Roll Eyes
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 09:55:07 PM »

Oh, wait. I can't say that. Apparently, when I (yes, me of all people) do so, I am labeled a RINO.  Roll Eyes

I wouldn't call it likely. Easley is popular, but I don't think Dole is so unpopular that it would be an automatic "Lean Dem" race.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 12:55:38 AM »

I wouldn't call it likely. Easley is popular, but I don't think Dole is so unpopular that it would be an automatic "Lean Dem" race.

Last I checked, Easley was very, very popular. Dole might not be unpopular but she is pretty weak.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:41:13 AM »

It is the same seat for which unpopular Sen. Jesse Helms beat very popular Gov. James Hunt.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 03:05:47 AM »

It is the same seat for which unpopular Sen. Jesse Helms beat very popular Gov. James Hunt.

and that was how long ago?Huh
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 03:21:39 AM »

22˝ years.  Valid point.

Zell Miller is the only Southeastern Democratic governor I can think of to run for Senate lately, though, for frame of reference.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 03:38:43 AM »

22˝ years.  Valid point.

Zell Miller is the only Southeastern Democratic governor I can think of to run for Senate lately, though, for frame of reference.

North Carolina isn't exactly the same type of state it was back then.  Helms wasn't exactly as unpopular as you made him out to be (which is quite unfortunate, but again times have changed in NC).  Also Reagan at the top of the ticket greatly helped the GOP.  Their isn't exactly going to be a 24 point victory for the GOP in the state at the top of the ticket in 08 to help the GOP.  Not to say the GOP won't win the state on the Presidential level barring anything major they will win it on the Pres level (for 08 anyway), and if they were to lose it the Senate seat would already be gone and that would be the least of their problems.  However, you are not going to get the same benefit and coattails  from what more than likely will be a single digit victory (perhaps mid single digit) on the Pres level as opposed to a 24 point victory.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 04:33:00 AM »

My only point, more food for thought than a point, was that a popular governor is not always a lock for federal office from North Carolina.

Hillary will lose North Carolina by double digits, though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 05:35:52 AM »

While we're doing NC fun facts - last time the state reelected a Senator not called "Helms" was Sam Ervin in 1968.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 08:43:59 AM »

Yeah, lots of people were comparing the Santorum-Casey race to that race. Unfortunately, it didn't end in a similar fashion.

Oh wait, I better stop. Wouldn't want HardRCafe to get pissy and say that my life revolves around that race.  Roll Eyes
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 09:33:32 AM »

My only point, more food for thought than a point, was that a popular governor is not always a lock for federal office from North Carolina.

I predict she'll get about 45%-47% of the vote. 
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 11:18:32 AM »

might not be a bad move for cooper.  he really has no where to go after this term.  the governor's race already has two heavyweights in it.

cooper isnt a very good politician though.  not good on the stump or television.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 12:12:39 PM »

I predict she'll get about 45%-47% of the vote. 

45% is a good guess, I think. The margin will be somewhere between 8% and 12%.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 07:14:24 PM »

It's a real shame for us Easley refuses to run... Guess we just need one great candidate for this one. Even if Northeasterners are flooding NC, it's still relatively conservative.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies